DBG: Easy fix to stop boxing violations

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fell, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mischief Tonnes New Member

You two probably shouldn't group together then. Easy enough.

If you need to AFK for kids and dogs every 30min, then just tell your group and maybe they are or maybe aren't okay with it.

Personally, I am not going to burden a random group with having to wait on me too often. It feels quite selfish. Those types of things are better in friend or guild groups. You do not join a random pug group when you know you have to take AFKs quite often. That's just not what LFG means. People LFG to get exp. You saying that we should be okay with you joining a group even if you AFK 20% of the time, is just telling the rest of the group that your time is more valuable than theirs.

What if they want to exp for the extra 10-15 minutes every single hour you need to AFK? That's a lot of extra exp over 4 hours. And what if there are 3 people similar to you but your AFKs don't coincide. You join a mass multiplayer game that involves you participating in a group that requires you be actively helping the group. It is unfortunate that you might not be able to pay full attention, but that isn't the groups fault.

Most people do actually have special hours they play Everquest without distractions. That's a normal thing. You get done with real life and you play your game for a few hours. Again, it's unfortunate that you don't have any "3-4 hour gap" where you can be mostly left alone. But, again... you are the one entering the game on a brand new server where people are trying to level. They don't deserve to have people AFKing for 15min every hour.

It sounds to me like you should be joining groups with mostly friends. Please do not go LFG and think it's okay to AFK 15min out of 60minutes.
    Mithra likes this.
  2. Fell Augur

The time and energy DBG has spent to create the truebox servers, along with the code they've written attempting to detect and prevent illegitimate boxing, is more than enough proof. That's not done for no reason.. Quod Erat Demonstratum.

And you're still ignoring the salient point. The actual percentage of DBG's customer base that hates boxing is irrelevant. There are servers which allow unrestricted boxing, and servers which don't. If you like boxing so much, play on a server which doesn't restrict it. Why force your company upon a populace which doesn't want you degrading their gameplay?
  3. Mischief Tonnes New Member

Where do I play Everquest if I want to play on a server that only allows you to play 1 EQ per computer that you own? You do realize that they have servers where you can play unlimited EQs on 1 server, and they have servers where you can only play 1 EQ per computer and they also have a server where you are only allowed to play 2 characters per person.

So, as someone who enjoys playing 6 characters on 6 different computers and doesn't use programs to play... which server do you recommend?

They specifically put truebox in for people to box a reasonable amount and you are telling us 6 boxers to go somewhere else? huh...?
  4. Fell Augur

Wrong on two counts:

a) If you're attempting to support the argument that most players support boxing, then you must count players only, not toons.

b) When one player with six paid accounts drives off more than six single-account players, the result is a net loss to DBG's bottom line.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

To teach them a lesson? IDK

Is it working?
  6. Fell Augur

Sure. Wink, wink, nod, nod.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

I like that you believe numpads are some alien technology.
    Gnothappening likes this.
  8. Fell Augur

Of course. I'm glad someone gets it.
  9. Mischief Tonnes New Member

Think about some of the worst raiders you've ever raided with. People that you see try to play 1 toon and somehow can barely manage that. Try to remember that to someone like this, it probably does actually sound impossible to play 6 characters without using programs. It makes complete sense why he legitimately cannot comprehend someone playing 6 characters without major assistance.

I think this guy is one of those people. So, his brain actually cannot process that as being something that is doable. He really does believe it to be an impossible task. So, you do have to kind of remember that when arguing with someone like this. There is no way to convince someone who truly feels it is impossible.
    Elabone and code-zero like this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Just because you seem to have a large amount of hate for boxers doesn’t make what I said wrong. The simple fact is that both of those servers require a paid account and if one server has more players it is bringing in more subscription money. Also I never mentioned anything about players supporting boxers or if players quit in response to those boxers. All I mentioned was the fact that if there is a larger number of logged in characters on the boxing server it says that the server is bringing in more subscription numbers.
  11. Tweakfour17 Augur

You sound like someone who would benefit from boxing. Log in, no lfg or waiting, just straight killing/questing. Oh dog or kid needs attention? Cool, /camp and go w/o impacting anyone else.

There are servers which allow unrestricted boxing on 1 computer.
    There are servers which allow unrestricted boxing but only 1 per computer.
    There is A server which allows 2 toons with 2 computers.
    There are NO servers which only allow a single toon.
    So maybe you should stop trying to force your ideals onto a populace which doesn't want you degrading their gameplay?
  12. Bardy McFly Augur

Botter versus boxer. A lot of people still don't understand the difference.

And I'm quite vocal on the forums that I box. I don't think that would surprise anyone on this forum haha.
    code-zero and Tweakfour17 like this.
  13. Bardy McFly Augur

Would love to see where you got access to DPG's actual metrics. Care to share these numbers?

This whole thread is based on opinions with a ton of use of the words "everyone", "always", "nobody", "never". Be careful using such strong words because you quickly sound like a fool full of exaggeration.
  14. nagash101 Augur

Non-Boxers have been bigger @#$@&%&$ then boxers have been on Thornblade. Biggest @#$@&%&$ have been solo necros by far.
  15. Gnomie Denser than most

This thread is slowly degenerating into "soon to be locked" status.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  16. nagash101 Augur

Banning Boxers and disabling /follow will not help you EQ better. Most boxers are playing with more then one computer and most are financially able to purchase a $300-400 laptop to play additional accounts. I personally have old computers I haven't given away or thrown away that I use to run my group. I started playing 1 toon, then 2 toons and over time I have built and added more computers until I was up to 6 viable computers that I have setup to play EQ. The in game macro system is very nice in EQ and its more of a challenge to see what I can kill and do with my 6 character by myself. I have friends that box 6 characters and some just a duo or even solo. We raid and try to kill the biggest stuff we can as a small guild and that is some of the most entertaining content I have had playing EQ. Most boxers are just looking to have fun. They are usually pretty level headed people because boxing a full group is hard and takes time to setup. I actually go out of my way to avoid issues with other groups and I don't care if they are all solos or another boxer, just makes EQin easier.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

We all get it. We just don't agree.
  18. nagash101 Augur

you are wrong. if 6 peeps quit over a camp or boxers in general then you would have quit anyways. Most peeps that are playing 6 toons are lifers. Perhaps DBG's looks at the account age and says wow, the guys that have been paying us for over 20 years like to box, lets keep them happy. I have been playing EQ and boxing almost from the beginning for over 22 years. A big chunk of the TLP server players are rinse and repeat players that have played on more then one TLP server. A lot of them are live players that grind out gear and items for Kronos for the live servers, these fellas are bad apples sometimes. Then there are the botters which it seems like a good chunk of returning or first time player think boxers are. Botter are using automated software to play the game and to farm high value items to strictly sell for Kronos or plat to buy Kronos to sell for cash, they make everything worse.
    code-zero and Bardy McFly like this.
  19. nagash101 Augur

You would be very surprised how many people box. Also true box code was setup to counter box armies run by bot software to automate whole raids. true box code makes the bot armies harder to keep online and run/control. It is still possible but also more expensive to box bot army on a true box server. most evil boxers dislike the even more evil bot box armies.
  20. yerm Augur

I hate boxing. I find it tedious and annoying. I want to play one character and only one character.

Please be clear when you hate OTHER people boxing that this is what you are talking about. People like me who just hate the act of boxing want nothing to do with the generally annoying, incompetent, and/or selfish players who hate other people boxing because. In my experience most of them need people to be desperate in order to convince them to group (or re-group after the first miserable experience together).

I've also found that for every boxer that wants to play by themselves and be antisocial, there's at least two who do it for honest reasons like they're a firefighter and hate grouping while on call, or they're an altaholic and they cycle their various pet projects into the latter group slots, or they're buddies who share toons (I'm sure this one'll get its own heat), or they like doing project type stuff like achievement hunting in their spare time and need their own characters because no other human being would tag along.

Truebox servers allow boxing on separate PCs. It says it right there in the rules. You reinterpreting them to be anti boxing doesn't make that the case.

YOU should go play on aradune. That server has a clear anti-boxing ruleset laid out in plain english.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.