Add maps to the game.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So, back on topic...ignoring the off-topic discussions about IT-security / what is required(or not) to enjoy the game.

It is my impression, that most people here would be ok with "basic" maps(zone-connections/landmarks/overall layout) being the installed default for all the zones in the game. Aka what we currently have for the newbie-zones.

Is that correct? :)
    Gyurika Godofwar, Skuz, Vumad and 6 others like this.
  2. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Glanced past the thread too quick, saw "Add naps to the game." I concur, this game needs naps.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

People not wanting to 3rd party download is a legitimate issue and concern and is VERY on topic. The statement that it's off topic is disingenuous and deceitful rhetoric.

Aside from that, yes, basic maps. if I buy a road map ae a convenience store beause I don't know the area, it doesn't have to have all the Wal-Marts on it, just the roads and town markers, etc.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

Pfft, use the maps on your phone now, they have it all listed :p
  5. Febb Augur

We're talking about EQ map files here, not cookies and browsers. Also, there are half truths in what you are writing. You can rename file extensions all you want but once you give it a txt file extension, the OS treats it as a text file. Programs that read from that text file are coded to read from them in a specific format so it can parse it correctly. If that format doesn't match what the parser in code wants from it, it will error out. So you can't just put a virus in a text file and make it work. That's not how applications work.
    Jennre likes this.
  6. Maedhros High King

I never thought this would make it to 6 pages. Impressive.
  7. Triconix Augur

So much wrong.
  8. Luithien New Member

Been playing since 1999. Created hand drawn maps, shared maps from friends, still have all my hard copy ones saved in 3 ring binders...
    I fully support adding maps to the game downloads. Silly to start my car with a hand crank just cause people used to.
    Luithien
    Vumad and Ketzerei84 like this.
  9. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

New to the in game marketplace: Player designed maps

/s
    Maedhros likes this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

It's a Strawberry thread so...
  11. Hypatia New Member

I was just going to say these exact words lol
    Maedhros likes this.
  12. Ketzerei84 Elder

Indeed - all other (somewhat trolling imo)considerations aside, it's fairly ridiculous to expect the average player to find and download the maps from third party locations or even an eq forum link. I don't have numbers on this, and I doubt anybody could get a realistic count(so it's all guesswork) - but I can say I personally have encountered at least a dozen players at various points during the first week on mischief who didn't have maps and needed directions on finding them.

New players are pretty much mythical at this point, but returning players and p99 jumpers often don't know about the map packs(or maybe don't want the hassle of having to download and set them up). It isn't a major ask to have daybreak just stealth-insert Good's into the automatic download/filecheck that the launcher does on startup. Unless you've got a 7200baud dialup modem it'll be a few seconds to download the 'update'.
  13. Strawberry Augur

It has less to do with me but more with the topic of my thread. Any threads that suggest making the game more accessible ends up in certain players wanting to gatekeep the game, opposing any change.

These players feel like something is being taken away from them when other players are given a shortcut. "I made my own maps 15 years ago, so should everyone else!". They put time and effort into it, and they feel like if any new player is given a shortcut, it diminishes their own accomplishments. They perceive the topic as a threat, even if it has no impact on them.

But those players should also realise that if you hinder accessibility, there won't be new players and no one will care about their accomplishments to begin with.
    Vumad likes this.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No, my objection is they hardly have time to keep the servers running and fix other issues as they pop up. Each new expansion is hurriedly thrown together with very little time for communication.

They do not need to waste time on a feature that is already well developed and available. There are bigger issues and new players do not leave due to lack of maps. They leave due to lack of instant gratification.
    Jennre and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  15. Strawberry Augur

There have been many suggestions over the years to make the game more attractive to new or returning players. From updating the graphics engine, to new models, to more GM presence, etc. Of all those, simply adding maps has always been the most reasonable, cost-effective, and most impactful way to do it.

And developers know this, there are finally maps for the tutorial zone, for Crescent, for Freeport, etc. But once players reach level 10 and venture into a new zone for the first time, they suddenly have no maps anymore and the game expects them to start downloading 3rd party files. This is unreasonable, it is unreasonable for a game with so much time to add content, that the time can't be found to add some basic maps.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

If the powers that be decide to add maps for all zones as a basic part of the game, how about just paying one of the two (or both) most prominent EQ map makers for the use of their maps. They are already made, work well enough for most folks, and I would bet they could be acquired cheaply. Development time=Zero. Cost likely minimal. Lots of businesses subcontract things. Why not in this case?
    Jennre likes this.
  17. Strawberry Augur

Not to mention that having to rely on 2 people who aren't part of your studio, to provide the maps for your game, is an incomprehensible high liability for the game.

It's one thing to let the community make an add-on like a quest tracker, or a DPS parser, it's quite another to somehow relegate the main way people navigate the game to individuals outside of the studio.

Maybe these two map makers will continue to make maps for years to come, or maybe they will be forced to stop tomorrow due to a family event. The liability Daybreak takes is incomprehensible to me.
  18. Strawberry Augur

Right, Daybreak approaching the map makers and properly compensating them for being able to add the maps in the game, would be just as reasonable of a solution to me as Daybreak making the maps themselves.

However, I don't know the people who make the maps, how about they would feel about that or how Daybreak would solve IP rights.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

No, it's about you. ;)
  20. Laronk Augur

It’s ignorant to not say please when you make a request and thank people when a request is met. It’s not begging when you say please, it is the most basic level of respect.