DBG: Easy fix to stop boxing violations

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Fell, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numiko Augur

Always amazes me that people think boxing is so hard and you *have* to use 3rd party software to do it.
    I 4 boxed on phinny from release to the end and never used anything more then the in game macro's to box.

I mean how hard do you think it is to hit 1 (an assist and pet attack macro) and 2 (a macro with 5 debuffs and nukes) and maybe 3 (more nukes for extra hard boss mobs) on 3 or 4 keyboards...

oh and once my mage got CoTH I never used follow again
  2. Gnomie Denser than most

I use six computers and /follow on all my guys on my main character. Roll completely manual /shrug
  3. Bardy McFly Augur

They literally labeled one of the servers a "boxing" server. You really think DPG hates boxers? Stop kidding yourself.

Btw, wink wink nudge nudge some people do own more than one computer.

[IMG]
    Elite_raider and Metanis like this.
  4. Nolrog Augur

Awww, you think disabling the follow command will automatically stop boxing. Bless your heart.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  5. That Guy Journeyman

Regardless of context, I can't agree with the idea of "punishing" everyone for the actions of a few. Call it a wild hunch but I would bet more nonboxers use the follow command than boxers that use it, and perhaps you might have forgotten, but this change would affect more than just those on your server, but it would affect everyone on all servers.

Food for thought.
    Stymie and Bardy McFly like this.
  6. Kylo Classic Augur

I love all the folks outting themselves as massive botters.
  7. CyryllisFenninRo Lorekeeper

As others have pointed out, mass boxers don't use /follow. They have a much better version.

Also, this kind of screws over people who need to afk while their party is moving.
  8. Moranis Augur

Not that I agree with OP, but I think most of you are missing the actual benefit of removing /follow...

It will make anyone using /stick shine like a beacon of ever-cheating.

On the other hand, warping is still a thing, so anyone who is using macarooni quest on TLPs will probably just do this instead of using stick.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Wouldn't disabling the login server be a better fix? Then they absolutely could not cheat, nobody would be able to cheat, ever again, perfect compliance!
    yerm and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

All they'd have to do is change the rules on their networking edge security devices to only allow 2 client connections per IP address. If you wanted to box more or have family members you'd have to buy multiple Internet accounts from different providers.
  11. Fell Augur

So says the boxer. The entire "truebox" concept exists to allow DBG to serve the market segment that doesn't like unrestrained boxing. However, at present it's simply a fig leaf.

It would require changing 1 line of code. 5 minutes time total. Slightly more perhaps if you wish to restrict the change to certain servers.

Lol, Like what? You're lashing out wildly in the hopes of striking a target.

A vague and pretentious statement with no meat behind it. Certainly if some boxers don't use /follow, they won't be impacted. However, there are other trivial code changes that certainly would impede their ability to operate. What's your solution? Continue allowing the boxers to run rampant?

Possible true, but what's your point? Every boxer less is a step in the right direction. The game was designed for one player to play one toon at a time. I realize they've put so many training wheels on the game that its possible to play six or more simultaneously, and people like you now believe it's your god-given right to do so. However, most players feel otherwise.
  12. Hypatia New Member

13. Fell Augur

You're using a strawman fallacy argument. The point is boxing, not cheating. Most players -- especially on a truebox server -- don't like boxing. Making your customers happy is a wise business decision.
  14. Gnothappening Augur

My point is that for every one person who quits because of boxing, there are probably three to four boxes. If you lose all boxers, including those that just two box, the population and profitability of the game will drop drastically. I'm fine with shutting down the automated guys who are running full raids on TLPs. They are breaking the rules. But going after anyone who boxes is a case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. As for a given right to box? As long as I play within the rules, boxing is 100% okay.

Look, I get it. Some people suck at the game or have a bad personality and the only way they can get people to group with them is to force other players due to a lack of choice. I can see why those people would want to force everyone to have to group with five other random people. Luckily, those people are a vast minority and only seem like a lot because they spend a lot of time on the forums. They also wouldn't get groups unless people were automatically forced into a group by the game upon logging in. Honestly, they are the people who should be boxing the most. Rather than try to force others to group with them, they should embrace the fact that they are toxic and nobody wants to be around them, and then make their own 2, 3, or more boxed group.
    Elite_raider likes this.
  15. Gnothappening Augur

I'm sorry but you have zero proof of this other than a few random complaint posts on the forums. I believe they already tried a server with even more restrictive boxing requirements in Aradune. I also think it now sports a medium population as much or more often than Rizlona. I can't say for certain but several times I have checked and Rizlona will be listed at "High" population and Aradune will be listed at "Medium" population. I haven't seen Aradune at "High" and Rizlona at "Medium" since the new servers launched. That is anecdotal, but feel free to do your own comparisons.

I would contend that most players don't care about boxing. People get upset when they are KS'd, trained, or forced out of a camp. While people love to try to say that this is usually boxers, usually it isn't. There are a lot more regular non-boxing players doing this than boxers. Most of us boxers just find a camp and exp. The whole reason most of us box is so that we can play as soon as we log in, without waiting.
  16. Fell Augur

You do realize, don't you, that the population count includes boxed toons, not discrete individuals playing?

Again, so says the boxer. I have yet to encounter a single person in game who doesn't loathe it -- except the boxers. DBG realizes it -- do you think the "truebox" concept sprang out of thin air? Hopefully DBG will actually start fulfilling that promise.

No one runs a six-man box army for the sheer love of playing. You do it to farm crap, and sell it to people. At least be honest. There isn't a single class in game that can't "log in and start playing, without waiting". But playing a solo toon doesn't allow you monopolize camps and farm items to sale, now does it?
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

This is most of it for me. Plus getting as much of the grouping bonus as I can, and having a wider range of tools. Sometimes I'll get 20-30 minutes where I could be playing, but wouldn't if I didn't think I could accomplish anything. With my current duo I can login, run down a hill, and be killing in seconds. Go until mana runs out, sit on the hill and repeat.
    Appren, Tweakfour17 and Gnothappening like this.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

Please go back to p99.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

If you only talk to yourself, you may find that everybody you know agrees with you.

If you've never tried to run six boxes then you don't know how hard it can be. You have to love it, at least a little bit, to do it at that level of involvement.
    Tweakfour17 and code-zero like this.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

@Gorg - except he doesn't love playing...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.