A new EQ in the works??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Darktide, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Leave EQ1 as is.

We don't need re-engineering, re-imagining, or re-making. Except to address or mitigate the inevitable DirectX issue.

Evidently everyone is here because the current system (status quo) has worked so far.
  2. Micker Augur

I would just be excited, if they upped the graphics a bit. I doesn't look awful, but it is dated. Everquest, with todays graphics, would be insane!!

Pantheon lol, will that game ever come out??
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

You're a little off the mark. I quit raiding because this game runs like absolute garbage on a high end gaming PC. The longer they go without making the game take advantage of modern hardware, the closer the date of EQ sun-setting gets here. There's quite a number of 22 year players that are walking away like me because we don't want to sit here and watch the game die. Ignorance is bliss and there's better games out there.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Did you read the thread?

I am not talking about game performance (e.g. lag). I am talking about the pie-in-the-sky thinking going on in this thread.

I actually would prefer that they do all of the essential fixes (within the current system) before worrying about upgraded models or the latest and greatest trends.

How effectively and easily EQ can port over to a new engine can only be answered by the people who work on the game.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

In most cases the answer is, "It can't." Usually the display layer is too tightly bound to the engine in old (frankly crappy) code. It's not worth it to try to reuse old code when you consider what it meains to refactor everything to make it work. It's easier and better to start fresh. When the company sees the price tag, though, the response is often, "Eh... maybe not."
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Some people just LOVE that same baloney sandwich with mustard on Wonder bread for lunch they've had for lunch for the last 22 years. :p
    Stymie and Sindace like this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I agree with you, but they've been saying "Eh... maybe not." for the last 15 years. At some point they will either have to a) Shut it down, or, b) Pony up to bring their engine up to 64-bit.

It's already been pseudo-announced. They are working on the new engine. 64-bit is the only path that makes sense. I don't expect a groundbreaking difference here, but a significant performance increase would be nice.

In reality, once the move to 64-bit is complete I expect DPG to begin adding features from their wish list over time, likely implemented with new expansions. I think the future for EverQuest is actually pretty bright.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Stymie and Skuz like this.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

I stopped eating mustard months ago. So there. :eek:
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If I wanted a different game, I'd play EQ2 (which I do casually), WoW, FFXIV, or the handful of any currently operating MMORPGs.

While I am a Darkpaw optimist/apologist, I am not convinced that porting the game to a new engine is in the cards. (It may be part lip-service and part hedging for the future). EQ1 is a 22 year old game with little relaunch value. As someone mentioned above, the more likely route (but unlikely in itself) would be EverQuest Mobile (especially if Runescape Mobile flops and Warcraft Mobile fizzles out).
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

@1h37m30s

Gyurika Godofwar, Stymie and Nennius like this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Thank you.

JChan: There are no immediate plans. It's a long process. It would take a year for a dedicated developer.....It's a thing that we would want to do but it is not at the point to where we would say, "Hey, 64-bit is coming."
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

She also says here's your warning to move to a 64 bit system.

It will happen, we just dont have a date, and bear in mind this interview was before the studio was bought by EG7 who have said in the past 2 investor presentations that the Daybreak line up will be getting revamps & new versions of its games.
    Gyurika Godofwar and code-zero like this.
  13. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Eso and guild wars2 seem to be decent.
    Eso is always full!
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Yeah I remember several years ago talking about "Chicken Little-ing". They've been driving down this back road for years, and they aren't heading out of the woods.

ding ding ding

No she doesn't. She says 'WHEN we plan to do it we will announce it.' That is not an announcement that it will happen.

Reminder, that video is from August 2020.

The last thread about taking a year off (from expansions) to do fixes ('tech debt' as they call it) was met with a resounding no.

Players don't want to take a year off of expansions, and they know that would lose customers.

They aren't doing that.

So my big prediction has already been playing out for years. They will just keep doing what they're doing until it completely breaks.

Already meme'd it. Jumped the shark and had their Joanie loves Chachi moment. They may still have 5-7 years in them.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

She had to be non-committal with what she said, the warning to "move to 64-bit if you aren't now" was your sign. She knows it has to happen or the game hits a wall in the near future.

How much longer is Microsoft even going to support 32-bit? Another 10 years? Maybe.

EG7 didn't buy Daybreak to let it fail, and everything they have said indicates they want to keep this going. It's already been rumored that they will use the Planetside 2 engine instead of making a new one. Let's call that the backup plan. Best case we get a fresh new engine, worst case we get whatever they can scrape together from whatever else they have. Moving to a new launcher is a step in that direction, and that appears to be happening also.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  16. Atomos Augur

You mean that thread that a microscopic percentage of the playerbase responded to, and that there was barely more people saying "no" in?

She literally says in the video "it will happen."

And I'm fairly certain if there was dev commentary that went into detail about how necessary it is and what it would do for the game, and assuring people that new content would be back on track directly afterwards, possibly even better content than before, that even more people would be on board.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Afaik, that rumor has never been confirmed by any sources(not even unofficial ones), and is based solely on speculation of: "it would make sense if it was possible".

The reasons why it would make sense are many:
    • It is practically being made "in-house"
    • Everquest have used off-the-shelf engines before(I think the Need for Speed engine was one of them?)
    • It is actively being maintained and upgraded(they are hiring dx12/vulkan devs to work on it, but it could just be for the Playstation version for all we know)
    • It is cheaper than making a bespoke engine for everquest1.
    • It is cost effective to share engine among in-house titles for a game-company.
    But apart from that, there is no reason to believe we are getting the planetside2 engine. All we know is that "64bit will come eventually".

Besides, the "unannounced project" is developed in Austin, Texas. While Darkpaw(the Everquest-branch) is located in San Diego, California(Afaik). This is based on https://www.daybreakgames.com/careers

So the "unannounced project" is probably another franchise...
    Gyurika Godofwar and Skuz like this.
  18. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Or, she's saying 'You should move to a 64 bit operating system, whether EQ goes there or not'. That's just sensible computing.

At any rate, the voracity of what she said, and may have intended, over a year and a half ago, before they were bought again, may have changed.

Legacy code and hardware is used, and is supported, it's one of the nightmares of computing and development. Don't take EQ as an example, go to your local department of motor vehicles. But this game, as an ongoing new expansion every year thing won't exist past that anyway.

They didn't buy it to burn up the gaming world with a re-empowered Everquest either.

Buy, milk for 5 years, sell.

Also, there is much more value than only EQ at Daybreak. They had a Marvel license for a while, they have a DC license with DCUO. Now that the studio is broken into parts it is much more possible to let things be milked on one game, and focus on another.

I played all of Landmark including the 9 months it was an actual released game. EQ in Forgelight? Been there done that. How did EQ Next vaporware work out for them?

My feeling is, the new launcher is a way for them to advertise their other games, not made by Daybreak, and made by DB, to leverage the existing customers into more, um, modern titles.

It's a miracle of a game, it should have had a fixed working state enshrined as a curated game years ago. It's been jacked up and hacked up for so long, nobody is going to fix it, they're (EG7) going to ride that wave out to the bitter end.

The fact that jankyland makes so much money is all the more reason to keep taking that cream off the top and putting no more into it than usual. It just keeps paying off. And instead of wasting that money on Daybreak's concepts for new games, they just add one more old nag and some snazzy new ponies to their stable. The nag will die someday, why feed it more than it's used to eating anyway?

<shrug> we'll see.
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Don't worry, Benito. I am sure they won't move your cheese very far.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yeah, I forget where the rumor came from, not anything remotely official, just a recognition that it's a possibility.