Curious how many people line buffs out?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Whulfgar, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Whulfgar Augur

How many of us actually try to place buffs in a specific order as opposed to simply any buff any where in the buff bar?

As a secondary question. How many would love the capability to actually move buffs (once buffed) into any other slot (basically buff placement of your choice.)
    Winnowyl, Fanra, Stymie and 2 others like this.
  2. Tucoh Augur

I try to alphabetize my buffs and defragment after each boss. I stopped raiding because my guild unionized to get me to stop asking for the same buff.

But seriously, other than trying to create a buffer for dispelling mobs, why would you do that? To make it easier to avoid hitting the buff cap?
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

I don't try to get my buffs in a specific order since they change the way dispel works, but I would like the ability to move buffs, prioritize their slot or cause certain buff to work in reverse order when finding their slot. The reason for this is because as an ENC I have a lot of temporary buffs. I have a bunch of them, at least 3 runes and 3 spell guards to name a few and they end up spread all over my buff window. Being able to select a spot to "reserve for XYZ unless full" would be great. Sometimes I do use Gina but guards and runes make a lot of spam I don't want to hear. It would be nice to just look up and see a slot empty and refill it.

I would also like the ability to dictate and overwrite order. For me, Pally HP would over write BST HP which would overwrite Ranger HP. Melee classes would probably want the reverse so this would need to be a player set option. I don't want to block ranger HP because I want it to land when no BST or PAL around. It's nice that conviction overwrites symbol but I would like skin to always overwrite conviction.
  4. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I like to have lev in slot 1, my 3 permanent buffs (weapon stance, mount, Jann buff) in the next 3, and then my self buffs after that. Beyond that, I don't worry too much.

As far as moving buffs around, I actually wouldn't mind it for the situations where some buffer catches me before I can get my self ones up.

Only other thing I'd like is the ability define overwrite priorities when you get buff capped and hit by a debuff. Defenders raid really highlighted this. There are a lot of buffs I don't mind (damage shields, small attack buffs, spell shields) but when I'd get hit with 4 debuffs during that raid, I'd suddenly find random good buffs being stripped to make room for the debuffs because I hadn't noticed I'd hit buff cap, so being able to say "this, this, and this buff are the first to go if something needs to overwrite" would be nice. :p
  5. Viper1 Augur

That's too much OCD. We've had one person raid with us for a short time that couldn't handle their buffs being out of order, so they would remove buffs after everyone MGB'd and start asking for individual buffs right before event engage. As for 'why did he do this?', he never had a good reason other than his own OCD tendencies. He also used shadow buffs to "protect against dispels" although, at the time, we raided a grand total of zero events with dispel mechanics.
  6. Whulfgar Augur

For myself I keep all my buffs lined out exactly the same across my twelve toons in group content, so it's easier to glance an see damn.. skin went down just recast it fast. So basically for myself it's just.. hole in the buff wall.. first row three down is skin.. boom done.

Course for raids it's not like that. I just take whatever then.
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Many moons ago I had a friend that wrote a quick log parsing program that would read the output of his /inspectbuffs and tell him what buffs he was missing. I've actually considered doing something similar :eek:
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I would love to be able to arrange buffs in a useful order, to make it easier to see what's missing.

What I would love even more than that (WAY more), would be to have the game support a list of buffs which I could create, and then with one command, tell me which ones are missing. With 40+ buffs supported and the order being somewhat random, it can be very difficult to know when a crucial buff is down.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I put the "instant cast" buffs at the front of my buff bar before I get anything else just because if I get dispelled I can readily recast - random slot dispell abilities on some mobs kinda get around that ability to easily manage dispelling mobs but for most it works well, as for the rest I don't really care on the order.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  10. Cicelee Augur

Yes-

AA levitation
    Siren illusion
    Drogan familiar (after death I click this first, click off the physical familiar, then illusion so it goes in second slot)
    AA elemental form
    Essence of Ruabbri
    AA magician self buffs (four of them)
    Shield of Destiny or Consequence or whatever it is called
    Elemental Symbiosis
    Mount click

Those have to be my first buffs. I am going off memory so the order might be slightly different. Also my pet buffs must be, in order-

Burnout
    Iceflame
    Damage Shield
    Velocity
    Illusion

I must say, dying on a raid is a ton of fun for me trying to get in all my buffs before the raid does MGB buffa
    Skuz and Whulfgar like this.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

I look for a few critical buffs but generally just decide if I'm buffed or not based on how full my buff window looks.
    Viper1 likes this.
  12. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

I die too often, especially on raids, to care one bit about buff order unless there's some mechanic in a raid that forces you to do something odd like preload a bunch of "shadow" buffs. Hell, I don't even fuss about which buffs I have when they block each other - a buff is better than no buffs and I'll just be dead soon anyways.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Shadow buffs, self buffs, other buffs. Though I do like my runes and potions last so I can see when they drop. During a raid I'll take what I can get.

Shadow buffs get clicked off for things like Defenders so the dots are at the top not spread around my other buffs.
  14. Sissruukk Rogue One

Illusion, mount buff, Jann buff, other buffs, raptor, uthork, poison(s).
  15. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I don't care, but 3 in my fellowship are.. very particular. (read An Al)
  16. Nolrog Augur

As much as I would like to have the buffs in a specific order, it is just too much of a nightmare to organize.
    Accipiter likes this.
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

#1 No

#2 Yes, please.

I'm OCD but also lazy, so I would arrange them if it was easy, but won't manage them the way they are now. With that said, I'm on the fence about trying to get Eldritch Rune and Polyamorous Rune (not the real name) in the first two slots. If I'm supposed to have a third rune that stacks with those, I would also want that there. I'm like the worst Enchanter out there and do not know how half my stuff works yet.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Nope. Too much hassle.
  19. Zarkdon Augur

I always do my buffs in the same order so I know what I'm missing. The order is just the random way I saved them in my spell bar at one point.
  20. Khat_Nip Meow

If I'm buff-less I try to get my lev first, then clickies, and finally self-buffs because it's easier to glance at the buff bar knowing that first block is my stuff.
    Though if someone starts throwing buffs out and interrupts the order of things I really couldn't care less.
    Elyssanda likes this.