[Request] Make Shadow of buffs not infinitely long duration

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raccoo, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Szilent Augur

That problem takes care of itself in a short time. Short compared to "never", which is when the Shadow-of problem resolves itself. Thus the OP.
    Raccoo likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And a new problem pops up of those buffs still blocking because people recast them when they wear off and other buffs fill the buff slots. Unless you educate people about buff management the problem will always be there just which buffs are blocking might change.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Szilent Augur

any buff with a duration doesn't have the problem Shadow buffs do.

Also, deleting bad buffs from our game? I'm on board, start your thread for that. It's a separate problem.
    Duder and Raccoo like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I never said anything about bad buffs, and there are buffs that are important for some classes but not others.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

No, it's simpler than that. I hate clutter, but also dealing with clutter. If it doesn't need to be there, then why is it there? I appreciate that they are useful for junk buff slots, otherwise I'd be in the "get rid of them" camp.

I don't raid, I group with a small selection of people. We don't fill up with other buffs. I had my friends remove these useless buffs, now when I target them I don't have to expand the buff part of the target window to show a mountain of buffs just to see if Promised Heal is there and flashing or gone. Or if I see debuffs show up there it's convenient. This is a very narrow use case, but it's why I care. Raiders will have a mountain of buffs and be full up as you say. They won't experience my use case. I care about their need for junk buffs, I would ask them to also care about my need, however narrow it is.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I was at 32 raid buffs tonight with shadow buffs up, including illusion benefit (no illusion buff) and mount buff (no mount). Which leaves me with 10 slots for good DPS buffs (short term) and dots, which for me is fine. There are probably a couple of other buffs from other classes that I don't need that I could ditch.

But I know there are some classes that have a lot of self buffs (looks at SKs) which would have a lot more buffs.

The wizzy only raids, so her buffs tend to only get done from scratch if she dies or her shadow buffs get dispelled and I need to reorganise my buffs cause the buffers beat me to it.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

Conjecture your honor!
  8. Angahran Augur

1. Leave them with permanent duration.
    2. Allow them to be blocked (without preventing the items from being clicked).
    3. Increase our buff limit.
    4. Increase our blocked buff limit.

Problem solved.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

What about just having a toggle so that you can choose if the shadow buffs actually put a buff symbol in the buff window?

Turn it off and when you click a shadow buff it doesn't go into the buff window. Much better solution then changing the duration.
  10. Raccoo Augur

I was suggesting what I thought would be the simplest solution (what could be easier for the devs to implement than changing only the duration?), that would affect people the least, but I guess there are many players who like running around with unlimited duration buffs that give them no stat bonuses.
  11. Cicelee Augur

If a player is not capable of clicking off a buff, then that player is capable of reaping the detriments of not doing something as simple as a buff click. Period. End of atory.
  12. Szilent Augur

I don't like penalizing noobs for noobness. There's plenty of head room for taking better, active game actions; the floor could be way higher in EQ for non-expert play. That would make me happy, if players were closer to right in evaluating what a character brings to the table based on /who.
    Niskin and Raccoo like this.
  13. Khat_Nip Meow

Person clicks item that gives them Shadow of x buff.
    *Timer is added instead of being permanent*
    Person sees 'buff' fade and re-clicks item to refresh it.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Szilent Augur

unless they forget! in which case, they benefit from forgetting something useless, instead of being penalized for forgetting something useless.
    Niskin, Raccoo and Duder like this.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

But whre is the penalty?

Unless players are raiders very few make it to the buff lock and I'd like to think all raiders have the knowledge about shadow buffs.
  16. Flatchy Court Jester

I mentioned this twice already and seemed like I was farting in the wind as it was not acknowledged. This seemed like the perfect solution to me as it appeases both sides. I can see reasons for both, so those that dread having to click a different item once every 3 hours can keep there lazy perma blocks, and dorks like me can stop buff blocking themselves.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  17. Raccoo Augur

I think most servers have a buff pile where casuals/raiders can sit characters and will eventually get all buffs. One of the reasons I made this thread is I saw my buffs not landing on people in that pile, because they were buff locked, and when I inspected them they had multiple shadow buffs.
    Niskin likes this.
  18. Warpeace Augur

So not only do they not know to click off shadow buffs they willing park in the Buff / Lag pile to get every buff known to EQ beneficial or not. Another example about needing to making better choices.

Really need a thread requesting more blocked buffs slots. Then they could be handheld on blocking buffs not wanted for their class.
  19. p2aa Augur

So, as I said it, this is a player problem, not a game problem. Making these buffs permanent and not having to keep them in the buff window is an improvement, not a problem
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think this sums up the problem nicely.