Is there a trick to trueboxing?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Razorfall, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

You are one of the very, very few people who get disconnected for no logical reason. I am one of those, too. We discussed this ad nauseum when Phinny launched. The only thing we can surmise is that somehow the combination of your ISP, router, etc. is something TrueBox doesn't like. There's an easy fix, though. Put your box on a different connection (phone hotspot or on a VPN). That's the only way to solve it.
  2. Demetri Augur

Shrug - only have a sample size of 3 for this era of TLPs so far - but from how she stayed solid when I didn't and the sounds of your setup - I would expect you would be protected the same.

I really wonder the reasoning why she doesn't DC when I do in light of that. It's not like the switches I'm talking about (miscalled them routers) were anything fancy, literally $20 walmart models.
  3. Gheed Is not reading your response

If you press buttons simultaneously on your computers you will get disconnected. This is commonly known as getting "trueboxed". It doesn't matter if the key inputs are the same or not, just matters that they are happening simultaneously.

Get a VPN on one computer.
  4. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Really.. Just need a headdress and a codpiece. Ask Sam.
  5. Nickatropolis Augur

Not exactly true, I spam quite a bit on two comps and have only been disconnected once. I think the internet configurations may have something to do with it.
  6. Machen New Member

No one knows. Players have been arguing over it since the very first truebox server launched, and DPG has refused to comment. There has never even been a rumor of anyone being suspended or banned for using such, though. So...
  7. Nolrog Augur

Personally, I never get DCed from true boxing. I usually play 3 toons. I have hotkeys set up to do things like follow, assist, etc.

Right now, my set up is SK with Shaman and Wizard boxes. The SK attacks, the wizard hits #1 which is a macro that assists the SK, casts the big nuke and then sits. The Shaman uses #1 to target the SK, #2 to target my ranger buddy, #3 to target the wizard and then = to cast heal, and then sit.

If we pull a healer, both the SK and Wizard chain nuke, using the alt 1 on the shaman and alt 1, alt 2 on the wizard (because the spell in the first slot has a cool down.) Doing this yesterday, and no problem with DCing.
  8. Razorfall Augur

That's what I was thinking. Hmm...I'll try getting another router and connecting the second one to that one. And if that doesn't work I'll just flash the router's firmware and use a VPN
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

A second router without a VPN will likely only make it worse or the same, but I can't say for sure. I am curious to see what you find once you try it.
  10. Razorfall Augur

True. I think what I'll do for now is use my connection on one, and use an xfinity hotspot until I can do a little more research
  11. OldRodKS Elder

I have a desktop (wired) and laptop (wireless) connecting to the same router

During combat, I run the laptop keyboard with my left hand and the desktop with my right. I'm careful not to hit keys at the same time on both machines, but I won't swear that I've never done it.

I've never gotten DC'd
    Yinla likes this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Do all that if you want, but a VPN is pretty cheap and probably there are some free ones out there. I have heard good things about Private Internet Access (PIA). It's like $40 a year for 5 devices.
  13. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Since you have an xfinity account, you might have a workaround available without additional effort, if your neighbors are close and also have Comcast internet. Every xfinity box is also a wifi hotspot that can be accessed by other xfinity customers. You just login with your account credentials from what I understand. So basically you stay on your own connection with the main box, and connect to the xfinity wifi on your neighbor's modem with the second box and you are good to go.

I could be wrong about how this works though, and it might not work if your neighbor plays EQ, but it might be worth a shot.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

This is the same as I'm doing.

Desktop I'm pulling, tanking and nuking on necro mainly with the mouse. Laptop is druid, 1 is assist necro, 3 is snare, 4 is nuke, F2 is target necro, 6 is heal, 8 is harmony, 9 is evac.

That is pretty much all I need for the druid during the fight, other spell gems and keys are buffs and stuff I use during downtime.
  15. FinalTidus23 Lorekeeper

Yeah try to stick with a macro that does a couple things initially. Because it's only at first that you are usually pressing the same or similar buttons at once, so that's when it matters. I 6 box and people think I'm cheating because I get a buncha pets going in a short amount of time, that's because I use USB keypads so it's very easy and close together to get going.