Pick pop threshold.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zinkeh, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Zinkeh Augur

I'd really like to see number required to pop a new pick to be lowered substantially in classic. I'm not sure about Mischief, but Thornblade's dungeons are just overcamped. Night after night dungeons are completely camped in all picks and there is literally no where to go in some level ranges. My group of friends outleveled the Exe camp in Lguk. Rest of Guk in all picks full. Every pick in SolB full, etc etc etc....There is quite literally no place to go to level and it's becoming a huge frustration. To add insult to injury a good 50% of these places are being camped by one group of all 50's just farming stuff to farm stuff or are PLing one of their lower level boxed groups. It's disheartening to have to break up a group of RL friends to go LFG and hope you get invited to a group since there is no place to actually start one.

Bring on the trolls, apathetic and elitists I spose'.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  2. SoandsoForumUser Augur

It would be nice, OOT is dead to me as long as it stays at 50 person picks. LGuk probably needs to drop down to 24, unrest was generally ok, I could join a high pop area and force a new pick most times. I haven't tried SolB yet (tomorrow night though!).
  3. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Nolrog likes this.
  4. HoodenShuklak Augur

This would be a great change for classic specifically.

There just aren't many options and, especially in this era, when you run out to some place and find out you simply aren't getting the camp you want, it is not easy to just travel somewhere else. Getting around takes a lot of time relative to your total play session...
  5. Zinkeh Augur

To a large extent that is true though it's a bit more complicated. There are almost no tanks or heal classes that aren't locked into a guild group or already 50 and sitting around. The problem is a lot of these classic dungeons have few spots per X level. Many of those spots are taken up by bored lvl 50's and their alts and the rest by legit groups. I'm not exaggerating when I say each place is taken up unless you wanna go KS from someone's campsite. There simply isn't enough real estate to group in currently.
  6. Captain Video Augur

This gets begged for every TLP launch, and IMHO it is literally the stupidest ? anyone asks on here. Servers cannot handle infinite picks, they run out of memory and crash. Devs have chosen /pick thresholds to provide the most flexibility possible while still maintaining server stability.

There are 45 non-raid zones in Classic EQ, all but 13 of which (that means 32 zones) contain mobs of level 30 or higher. I play on Thornblade, and I can personally attest to there being quite a few perfectly suitable levelling zones that remain completely empty. If you insist on going to the same few zones everyone has been insisting on using for years, well that's on you.
  7. Gnomie Denser than most

Eh classic TLP's have way less total zones to load than a server in a later expansion. I think the servers could handle 1-2 more picks of Lguk.
  8. Captain Video Augur

Except that's not how it works. TLP servers and Live servers use the same codebase. All zones in the game are loaded on a TLP server, they're just locked until the TLP reaches each expansion.
  9. Elabone Augur

Guk spawns a new pick at 30 players. Thats 5 groups. You should almost never see more than 5 groups in guk. Amd with 5 groups there's easily enough mobs for each group.

Solb spawns new picks at an even lower number. Every night there are 6 picks of solb opened and multiple camps are open in each one. And that's on mischief. Stop trying to go for the best of the best camp and settle for something worse and you'll be fine.
  10. Mithra Augur

The problem is 2 groups on live side and 2 groups on dead side can clear all of Lower Guk.

SolB and Unrest both spawn at 20 and also have the problem that 3 groups are capable of clearing all spawns.
  11. Sycopata Elder

I just remember in 1999 each named have a group sitting on it, and pullers just finding spawns in the whole dungeon. Now we just cry , why we cant chain train pull.
  12. Montag Augur

It doesn’t work how you think it works. It makes little difference resource-wise whether players are in picks or entirely different zones.

Pick thresholds are too high for the same reason exp rates are so low. To throttle advancement.
  13. Montag Augur

Umm... no? Unless, your group is ultra weak and killing really slow. With just three groups in LGuk there is literally nothing to do but wait for repops and argue about where one camp ends and another begins.
  14. Atomos Augur

Lmao yeah, 5 groups in Lguk is an absolute travesty. I don't wish that upon anyone.
  15. Gnomie Denser than most

But if they're not being utilized, is it that big of a deal? I just don't think 1-2 extra picks would make or break the server performance.
  16. Captain Video Augur

This must be your first TLP. The pick limits we have now are based on trial-and-error tuning by devs, following many server crashes when more picks were allowed.
  17. Nickatropolis Augur

Guk Camps = Bedroom, sage/ex/cav, assasin/sup, frenzy, hamlord, minos, priest/crusader, king/noble

That's like 8 camps, which, if full, nothing will be alive and people will be fighting for mobs. You can always go to the smallest pick available and look for open camp, that's how 99% of the server's population does it.
  18. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Assassin/Sup is basically part of exe/cav at this point or it's stealing all of BR as well for exp. Most people don't count live side since a lot of people wont hunt there for a variety of reasons (faction, not undead, runners, etc). There's also the very real factor that due to the level range in the zone finding BR open in every pick (super common) doesn't really help you at 38+
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

True. It turns pretty green/light blue even at 35.
  20. Elabone Augur

The issue in guk is that people are so infatuated with illusion items, like the wood elf crown, that they refuse to kill anything on live side. Which is why people think there's no mobs up. Even if hamlord was killing frenzy also. That still leaves executioner, bedroom, minos and king. 5 groups. Stop complaining that you can't have the camp you want and think outside the box.