Does no one group or am I unlucky?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sociabear, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Elskidor Augur

I just want to know where to find ashman. He sounds like a dope healer.
  2. Mrjon3s Augur

People just don’t wanna group. I was in Sro the other day started a group at crocs and had a guy duoing next to me. I had room in my group for 2 and offered him both spots. He said no and just sat a bit away from us competing for the same mobs duoing. I even told him we could kill the deep water crocs if we combined and get more exp. nope guy just wanted to sit there and duo. Same thing with the twinks running around in full planar. It’s like bro just join up if the group ends up killing to slow for your liking or is just bad leave.
    Fallfyres and Catalina like this.
  3. Atomos Augur

There are definitely some anti-social players in the game, which I don't understand. I mean I want everyone to play the way they want to, but I just can't fathom wanting to play an MMORPG and then spending all your time alone. I see people soloing here and there and I just feel so sorry for them. I'm fairly certain that group EXP is not the same as it was during era/P99 and that there's actually more of a bonus for grouping than there was back in the day. Watching these people spend like 4x the time to get 1 level is depressing.

But again if that's what they want to do... /shrug
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  4. Pixn Journeyman

Not sure about thornblade but I hopped on mischief a few days ago and there was easily 40+ players lfg through all level ranges. I don’t play on mischief but I’ve played on numerous TLPs and from what I saw it should be ultra easy to form your own group, pick a camp and start rolling. You need to take initiative though getting a group going and leading it though. Figure out where you want to exp at, send tells and get rolling. If you sit there and are lfg for a long time and aren’t a “desired class” like mage/ench then take the initiative to get a group going. If you are an undesirable class like a low dps rogue in classic make yourself useful and offer to chain pull for the group to make yourself useful.
  5. yerm Augur

There are definitely people who just don't want to group. I do it sometimes when I'm actually trying to get something else done and don't want to be relied on. I want to be able to afk or not at my leisure. If that's the case, I'd be the guy noping out of the open spot and competing nearby. I don't consider myself antisocial (I probably talk TOO much) but sometimes grouping isn't for you. It's worse xp and all, but sometimes you do what you gotta do.
  6. Kylo Classic Augur

personal hygiene. maybe you smell and people don't want to group with you. How often do you bathe?
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

My static group lost a couple people due to last minute scheduling issues, but we've had no problem finding players to fill those slots. Since we almost always have different general chat channels due to server population, we get to see a lot of LFG comments, and we take advantage of that. Gotta be proactive.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

That's cool. Punctuation is the same in any language.
  9. SleezerGeezer Elder

And so are manners.
    Stymie and Elskidor like this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

To each his own. I've done it all in 20 years. Some of my best friends in the 2000s I met in EQ. But that time has passed. I'm not looking to make friends. If I invite someone to my box group they just slow me down with inane chat. If that's how you want to play, great. I don't. I'm absolutely anti-social in EQ and that's how I like it.
  11. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

My group is in a voice channel in Discord, and it does slow us down when we have to put stuff in group chat. But that is almost always accompanied by a recruiting pitch, and an invite link to our Discord, and I have a roughly 75% success rate recruiting, and a 100% retention, so far. And I hate recruiting lol. I am opposite from you though in that I am looking to make friends, but to each their own.
  12. Zansobar Augur

I ran into this a bit - it's usually one person boxing two toons who says things like "I don't know when I have to leave the computer so I don't want to group". Some people just like to play in their own world and take it much slower - they may also have no idea about the group xp bonus in modern EQ. Probably a lot of these folks are from P99 and think the crappy xp they are getting duo-ing is awesome.
  13. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It could also be that when people say "I don't know when I have to leave the computer so I don't want to group" they mean "I don't know when I have to leave the computer so I don't want to group." I know that's what I mean when I say it. And I'm not from P99.

Could I be 50 right now if I spent all my time on Thornblade pugging? Probably. Would I also be getting a divorce? Probably.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  14. Nickatropolis Augur

Pick-up grouping is difficult, but not impossible, for a few reasons.

1) Most groups want optimal classes; IE Chanter/Cleric/Tank/Puller/DPS/DPS - If your group doesn't have this makeup, its going to make encounters with multiple mobs a lot more difficult, but not impossible.
    2) If you're not a cleric or an enchanter, you're going to have a harder time finding a group.
    3) Everyone's schedules different. Even if you get a functioning group, the enchanter saying, hey I have to go in 10 minutes could just wreck your entire group if you can't get a replacement enchanter. A lot of people are fine with CC'ing the old fashion way (root/scoot, slow and off tank, bard/necro mez) but its hard to keep that up with people who aren't comfortable with it and these days people are spoiled with enchanters.

Being a responsible group member means being able to get to the group, having all your spells/abilities ready, being attentive and playing your class well, and finding a replacement for yourself when you leave. Many players don't do all or even some of these things which makes pug life difficult. If you want to be successful in groups and you're not a cleric or enchanter, you generally have to take lead and socially engineer a group. Again, difficult, but not impossible.
  15. Stewgottz Augur

LFM > LFG

Also these TLPS this year are speed run servers. Most players would rather box their duo / trio what have you instead of chasing the memory of some warm intimate grouping experience.
  16. Nickatropolis Augur

Wrong - full group bonus exp is 4x faster than any duo/trio can do. I duo my boxes when needed but would much rather be in any size group for faster kills and bigger group bonus.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

A) they already did and B) calling for nerfs is against forum guidelines.
  18. Delphwind Augur

Typical EQ player mentality. Turn /LFG on, then sit and wait for a fully established group to hold your hand.

The last time I checked the LFG window there are people in all level ranges ready to group. It’s on you if you decide to sit around and wait for other people to play the game for you.

I’m leveling up my 2nd character now and usually have a group at least partly formed within minutes of logging in.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  19. Greasus Ogrejesus New Member

The long and the short of it is this: if you play a class that is always in demand (i.e. cleric or enchanter) or a tank, odds favor that the groups will come to you. I played a cleric during Aradune's launch and rarely had to start my own group. Indeed, as a cleric, I even got invites for DPS spots in UR/LGuk when there already was a cleric in group (though I suspect the groups just wanted to ensure a cleric was always around). Though, admittedly, I have found that PUGs on Mischief are more willing to accept a druid/shaman as the group's main healer than they were on Aradune.

For mages/necros in recent TLPs, they usually get the first crack at DPS spots.

Every other class falls into some player-designed and generally accepted hierarchy of desirability. Should you be one of these classes, you may find yourself languishing in /LFG unless you are proactive. Being proactive means forming your own groups, keeping a healthy friends list, reaching out to established groups and asking if they have any present/potential open spots and staying in contact, being open to travel to a different zone when asked, etc.

Contrary to what other posters have said, getting to 50 on Mischief, if that is your goal, as any class does not require abandonment of all RL responsibilities. Mischief/Thornblade is not EQ circa 1999. You will need to put in extra work to get to 50 for some classes, but you can still hit that level even if you play several nights per week.
  20. FinalTidus23 Lorekeeper

IMO it really comes down to what they incentivize, like most human interactions, and then unintended consequences.

I think its hard to mess with this Jenga puzzle. But best bet is find a big guild and group with them imo.