What is the point of this

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Flatchy, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Flatchy Court Jester

Lore groups for augs. Some of you know I have been complaining about this expansion and the augment bottlenecks in it. This weekend I finally got that Wyvern in Cobalt scar to drop my Feline aug I had been after for Months. So relieved...... UNTIL the master looter says he cannot give it to me. I was stumped , almost 20 years of playing this game and never seen anything like it. He left it on the mob and I tried to loot it old school. NO GO. I logged out and logged in, still could not loot it. I used my find window about 20 times becuase it said I had it , I didnt. Finally In frustration I looted the aug on a diff toon. and left the zone.

Talking to a friend in game he explained the LORE GROUP tag some things have to me. I must say I find it incredibly stupid, and wasted I have no idea how many hours on this aug. I found it by looking through all my augs manually because the website I was looking at (resource) did not have the matching aug listed as lore group. So even if I had known about this mechanic, I would have still tried to attain it.

Im sure a lot of you are saying "stupid old troll, everyone knows this" Well I guess I learned something new this weekend the hard way. The aug that matched up to fantastic feline cameo was Pulsating Axehead fragment btw.

Flame on!
    Lorai, Barraind, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sissruukk Rogue One

Well, it's a good thing I know that this Feline aug is in the same lore group as the axehead. I looted this on one toon and was going for it on my rogue, but now I guess I can save some hours in the future by not camping it. Thanks for the heads up.
    Flatchy likes this.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

They should add a message, when you can't loot an item because of loregroup conflicts, that stated what the conflicted item was called, and where it was equipped.

That way you can easily identify the issue and quickly decide which of the 2 items you want to keep.
    Accipiter, Lorai, Bigstomp and 9 others like this.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

I know someone is going to come back with "you can use item compare," but item compare doesn't search by lore group, it just searches for all augs equipped (as far as I know). So, unless you know the lore group, item compare really doesn't work for a quick compare.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

Exactly , I looked and looked but did not spot it till I was back in guild hall tearing all the paintings off the walls in frustration.Tell us which aug it conflicts with not that its lore and you have it. I could have destroyed the one aug and looted the other. After about 30 named kills to get one aug I most certainly will not go back to that camp again.

So stat masters out there, tell me which aug you would have kept had you the choice.
  6. kizant Augur

Either aug is fine. It don't really matter.
    Duder likes this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sorry for your frustration, Flatchy. I don't think this is a new thing, however. Weren't the augs from the 14th and 15th anniversaries LORE GROUP as well? War Games was the 15th anniversary mission, for the 14th anniversary, they were actually all different missions, but the augs were LORE GROUP.

I agree, though, if you're going to give a message about a conflict, show WHAT it conflicts with.
    Kaenneth and Fanra like this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

Almost certainly feline for the extra AC. If it werent for that though, I would have taken the axe for its int rather than str. On a bard.
  9. Tappin Augur

Lore group are still (and always be) a stupid game mechanic. They spent years stream lining loot to make it easier to see if something is an upgrade, but add this to make it confusing.
  10. Annastasya Augur

Yes, lore group is a mechanic that really sucks when you first find out about it by not being able to loot an aug. Sorry that it happened to you a number of expansions later than it happened to the rest of us.

Wasting hours/days/weeks/months on a rare named camp only to be disappointed is kind of the baseline of this game though. It would be difficult to believe you've made it this far without realizing that.

On the plus side, most of us share your pain. Now you know to look for that particular text on the augments you loot in the future. When you come across another of the same Lore Group you then decide if you want to loot the new one instead, and you'll have to destroy the old one first. Or remove it from a piece of equipment. It seems some (maybe all?) you can possess multiples of the group but only use one at a time.
  11. I-WANT-IT-NOW Augur

It was added because he didn't want casters stacking to much hsta despite how little impact in game this actually has /boggle.

Meanwhile in hdex land which can drastically alter the game you are free to stack away.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This post basically nails it.

13. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with lore groups. The design behind it is pretty sound, given EQ's own limitations and to prevent abuse. That being said, I agree with others. If there is a lore conflict, the message ought to return the name of the conflicting item. They did it will spell buffs, I don't see why the string couldn't be added to the lore conflict message.
    Kaenneth, Bigstomp, Sissruukk and 2 others like this.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

The part in Skuz's explanation (or namealreadyinuse's) that talks about swapping out gear to gain different resists for different events puts the absurd-icing on the cake. When is the last time anyone considered resists for any event?
  15. Zarkdon Augur

To be honest, the amount of benefit you realistically see from augs like augs is so small in the grand scheme of everquest that lore groups are just kind of dumb.

Who cares if you glean an extra 2000 hitpoints when all the mobs proc a DoT that does 50k a tick, your hitpoints are in the multiple hundreds of thousands, and a small hit on a caster is 32k.

But, like so many things in life, it is what it is. The should make things far clearer.
    Barraind and Duder like this.
  16. Zarkdon Augur

I need an aug that will let me resist the icing on the cake. But unfortunately no matter what i equip I never can. All I do is upset my wife that I stole her necklace.
    Duder and Svann2 like this.
  17. Laronk Augur

Lore groups are annoying because you either have to know or you have to check a bunch of your augs
  18. Vumad Cape Wearer

The problem with lore groups is we already have a great mechanic in the game for managing different and that is the claim/convert item, like the TBL lamp. The RNG could very easily drop the aug in any format with a button to change it to any other format in the group. They could also give every version the same name with a caveat. Example being the TBL augs Casting Fire, Defending Fire. Example: The Eye of the Stone Dragon which is designed for melee converts to The Eye of the Fire Dragon which is the same aug designed for caster types.

Having different augs when this mechanic is a simpler and easier way to manage the lore group and already exists doesn't make any sense to me.

There is also another way that makes even more sense for the lore is to make all lore groups part of a quest. The Lore tab on The Eye of the Fire Dragon reads "SoAndSo has been seeking this rare eye, and is offering the eye of a Fire dragon is exchange". Turning in the eye results in him giving you the opposing eye with the opposing lore.

19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Here's an idea, and if it's already there, sorry for the duplication.....

When you ID (right-click) an item, there are two tabs, the stats and the LORE. If you're going to make LORE GROUP items, put the other items in the group on the LORE tab. How that?
    Angahran likes this.
  20. Raccoo Augur

It would help if the lore groups were similarly named, like for some of the anniversary augs, they had lore groups, like yellow stone of power or red stone of power. Until COV they didn't have h-dex on the caster's version in the lore groups.
    Skuz likes this.