Stop using cheal in classic

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shakara, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Shakara Augur

I have noticed lately that a lot of clerics lean heavily on Cheal on Thornblade and I think it is because people don't understand the heal well enough.

In terms of mana efficiency its not that great. To make it push even with Superior heal you need to heal about 1.3k HP with it. If your tank is decently geared and around lvl 45 with all the buffs they usually have around 2.5k HP meaning your heal needs to land when they have under 45% HP. If you are fighting weak mobs this is not super hard to pull off, but most of the time you will be fighting decently hitting mobs who with a good round can take 20% of a tanks HP. Mind you this is all to break even with Superior heal so to get any real benefit you need to be hitting your tank around 30-35% HP which is really cutting it close.

The other side is if you fizzle a Cheal you lose a TON more mana than if you fizzle a Superior heal on top of that you have to cast for 10 seconds and miss a lot more medding time. In addition if you get interrupted for some reason you may not have enough time to get off a faster heal before your tank dies. Cheal really doesnt make sense till your tanks start pushing 4k+ HP where you can reliably get 1.5k-2k heals without the constant threat of your tank taking a bad round and dying
  2. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

My alt cleric has switched back to a lower level heal from Superior Heal, because I'm just not having to heal that much damage once we have a spawn broken. Even the shaman in the group isn't having to help me cover robe casters when they take a couple hits, because I have enough mana. The only reason I'm looking forward to cheal is because we will be raiding very soon. I'm only going to play the cleric if we need more healers, as I would rather play the wizard. The need for cheal in an xp group will come all too soon though.
  3. Tornat Augur

there have been plenty of tanks where cheal has been effective and more mana efficient in the 40's . I do agree with some lower 40 knight tanks it was better to use sup heal tho . imo just let the cleric figure it out.
  4. Kahna Augur

Cheal is for charm pets, not people.
    Hypatia likes this.
  5. TheDohn Augur

Early TLPs are an unending soup of complete ignorance of basic mechanics. CHeal isn't even the tip of the derpburg.
    Xanadas and Ketzerei84 like this.
  6. Catalina Journeyman

had a ench MR their pet :eek:
  7. MMOer Augur

hrrm, I was tanking in the hole and fighting golems... my clerics would start CH on me at 20%

They were not eating 20% per round for sure... I mean if I had two on me or something.

Get some AC
  8. Xhartor Augur

Complete Heal is for charmed pets, not players, Using Healing Light.

As for raiding, Chains aren't really a thing until Trak and VP in Kunark. In classic you don't have the mana regen and mana pools to sustain a CH chain.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  9. Mindra New Member

I do agree with your observations that CH had not come to it's full usefulness in classic.
    I side with MMOer's point though, your numbers are super conservative, and this is one area where a cleric's skill became very obvious: we called it the purple game for a reason.
    That is all.

-Mindra Skylarker of the Iksarian Broods, Bertoxx.
  10. Larsen Augur

Had an enchanter in my group die yesterday because the cleric was trying to CH him while he had aggro. A level 39 enchanter. He has what, 700 hp or something? I have no idea why the cleric decided that CH was the right choice. It was baffling.
  11. Elabone Augur

What group mobs are you fighting that can one round a tank at 20%.

If you analyze the game based upon the worst possible players. You're going to come up with different conclusions.

For example, my box cleric immediately started using cheal at 39 once I hit 20% and would easily outheal superior especially when I was buffed.
  12. Breaker Journeyman

I regularly heal for over 2,000 with CH. I use Healing Light occasionally if things are going slow and I want to burn some mana, but anytime I am seriously trying to conserve and be efficient, I will let the tank hit about 45% then begin casting CH. If his HP is still 40% around the end of my cast, I will duck out and re-start it. I try to land them around 20%, I haven't lost anyone yet. I do this in hate/fear, and everywhere else.
  13. nagash101 Augur

CHeal is for an level 46+ tank with Planar gear and with good accessories. CHeal isn't used for ANYONE else but the tank. I use CHeal ALL THE TIME but you have to watch the tanks health and the amount of damage he takes. Sometimes the CHeal needs to start at 50% and sometimes later. A good Cleric will use CHeal efficiently at higher levels and it is by far the most effective heal for a TANK 46+.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  14. Shakara Augur

The hidden issue with that though is the amount of med time you lose when you start ducking Cheals. 20 seconds of cast time is 3-4 ticks of sitting regen which if I am remembering right should be in the ball park of 10-13 mana regen at that level? So what you assumed was a 400 mana heal is now costing you 430-440 mana in reality. Sup heal or Healing light never have to be ducked and if you are hardcore can even fit them inside your mana regen tick. This is not to say Cheal is never more efficient but there is a lot of times where it is not and people do not realize it.
  15. Yteran Lorekeeper

I'd like to see a sup healing rotation on naggy/vox/innoruuk/cazic and the golems. My guild, which shall remain nameless, has relied entirely on cheal rotations.

At least half of our wipes are related to clerics running out of mana. I suspect but can not prove that it is related to the inefficiency of complete heal.

With a sup heal rotation, druids and shamans can be involved in the rotation (allowing some clerics to be dedicated group healers and battle rezzers/buffers.)

This all being said, for clerics who are new to early expansions or returning to the game (or have never played before) maybe it isn't such a bad thing to get them acclimated to cheal rotations in classic, where there's some wiggle room for ups.
  16. Maximillian New Member

Strange way to put it... did you just admit that your "box cleric" is controlled by a heal bot program?

Hilarious.
  17. Zapsos Augur

Where did he say that? Are you using the fact that he referred to his alt in third person as evidence that he's somehow botting?
  18. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

This is from a low man Vox raid a few days ago:
    Lady Vox in 666s, 128k AH | Shaman 23957 AH | Cleric 17016 AH | Cleric 16882 AH | Cleric 15021 AH | Cleric 12408 AH | Cleric 11755 AH | Shaman 9687 AH | Shaman 7502 AH | Lady Vox 7500 AH | Druid 6610 AH | Druid 4505 AH | Bobby 1048 AH

Spells Cast By: Sham1: 160 | Cannibalize: 99 | Rejuvenation: 1 | Superior Healing: 60 (19 ducks)
    Spells Cast By: Cleric1: 52 | Divine Aura: 1 | Healing Light: 7 | Superior Healing: 44 (24 ducks)
    Spells Cast By: Cleric2: 31 | Healing Light: 31 (7 ducks)
    Spells Cast By: Cleric3: 27 | Healing Light: 25 (2 ducks) | Word of Health: 2
    Spells Cast By: Cleric4: 34 | Resurrection: 1 | Superior Healing: 33 (4 ducks)
    Spells Cast By: Cleric5: 23 | Healing Light: 23 (1 duck)
    Spells Cast By: Sham2: 43 | Spirit Salve: 43 (17 ducks)

CH is for Kunark+ outside of charm pets!
    Xhartor likes this.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

CHeal is a lvl 39 spell. So at 39 he started to use it, not waiting for 45+ plus like some people have suggested. He gained 39, memed CH and immediately started to use it. When his tank hit 20% he would cast it and it out heals Superior.

Not sure where exactly you inferred botting from but I suspect it was because you were confused about the 39 part and assume his cleric saw him at 39% and he'd be at 20% when it landed? Or?
  20. Elabone Augur

Youre not bright.