Feature request - Customizable F10 (toggle UI)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vumad, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

F10, which is the default for toggling the UI, is great but not very useful. There are certain things we pretty much have to be able to see. One example of this is the character (ALT Y) and the Group window. And probably a single chat window.

However, there are a LOT of windows we don't need. A number of the chat windows, the spell bar, most of our hotkeys, auras, window selector, buffs, songs, etc.

If we had the ability to customize the Toggle UI display feature, we would be able to select the key windows we want to be able to see 100% of the time (our HP, mana, pet HP), and toggle off most of the windows we only need situationally (spell gems, hotbars). This could greatly increase the usefulness of the toggle UI feature and greatly increase the immersiveness of the game.
    Stymie and Metanis like this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

F10 is very useful for screen shots when you don't want to show account information
    minimind, Duder and Fanra like this.
  3. chronicler Augur

Just because you dont use things, dont mean others also dont use.

Example chat windows, I use 9+ chat windows.
    Duder likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yeah, so when you setup your toggle UI feature, you set those 9 chat windows to remain, or just don't use toggle UI. You should read the OP again.
    Metanis likes this.
  5. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

There could be some benefit to making it customizable, but its original purpose seems to be for making screenshots without the UI cluttering them up. It still works well for that, but I wouldn't complain if I could leave a couple things visible when toggling.
    Duder and Vumad like this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yeah I understand that. My suggestion wouldn't impact people who do and want to continue to do that. But for people who want to leave a few windows, and toggle the clutter, they could.

I'm thinking a simple right click on the window and select "keep for UI toggle".

For a more complicated enhancement, make it a separate action. Split "toggle UI" into two things, one that works as the current and one that works as I suggested.
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Essentially what you want are desktop layouts. You could accomplish that with multiple custom UIs but that's too much work. Perhaps you could copy and rename your current layout file. One is the original, one is the modified version. Load each as needed. It's not the same thing at all because loading a UI takes several seconds but it's better than nothing.
  8. Szilent Augur

you can totally make window toggles in Options be, like, shift+F10 or whatever, for all the windows you'd rather not look at full time
    Vumad, Metanis, Duder and 2 others like this.
  9. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Yea just multibind all the UI features to the same Hotkey.

If you want to turn off Aggro meter, extended target, buff window, short duration buff window and all your hotbars with a single key press couldn’t you just bind all those to F10 or some other key combination?
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

What a great work around! Especially with the alternate/secondary commands. Thank you!

Is there a way to do this for individual chat windows?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This won't work for chat windows without a major rework of how they function. As soon as you close/hide a chat window all of the items that are filtered to that window will move back to the main window. Reopening/unhiding won't move those filters back and new functionality would need to be added to the game in order to support this.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

I put these all on an alternate key press...

short duration buffs
    hot bars
    actions
    auras
    buffs
    compass
    pet
    spells

So pressing G9 (Shift alt 1) on my keyboard takes away everything but mob, self, hott, group and chat windows.

Is there anyway to toggle the "window selector" I dont see it on the list. Anyway to toggle chat windows in this same way?
  13. Metanis Bad Company

So if I was evil I'd do something like this to Regnad's machine using a key combo I'd be certain she'd eventually fat finger right in the middle of a raid event...
    Vumad likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

I ran this setup today and was quite pleased. As a L8 necro I needed to keep the buff window up (dark pact only lasts 2 minutes), but otherwise it was nice to be able to hit the G9 key and wipe out a lot of the clutter. I just tap G9 (again, that's Shift Alt 1 macro'ed on my G910 keyboard) and toggle it every so often. Need to swap a spell? G9, rebuff, G9. Simple. Works great. 5 stars, would recommend.
    Stymie likes this.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's ALT-W if I rememeber correctly. You can either map all that other stuff to ALT-W like a multi-bind, or try some programmable keyboard stuff to have it send ALT-W and Shift-ALT-1 when you hit your G9 thing.