Does anyone at DBG care?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Merlin313, May 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin313 New Member

My wife is slightly autistic and agoraphobic. She only leaves the house usually with people she knows, and when she plays EQ she usually plays by herself.or with me, or she groups with me and other players. She also plays 4-6 characters simultaneously, on 6 laptops that she got from Goodwill, oftentimes broken so she fixes them. She also provides partial daycare for grandchildren, one who is autistic. So she often has to go to a safe spot or step away without warning.

She's playing six new characters on Mischief. She dies, because quite honestly she's not bad at playing four, but not so good at 6. She's a clicker and a little slow. I started a shaman to box with my warrior because her heals were a little slow sometimes lol, but she's boxing four so I get it.

She's sitting outside ak anon rebuffing after dying when she gets disconnected and tries to log back in, but she finds her six accounts are suspended for a week. She didn't go afk, says she didn't miss any tells, but like I said she keeps to herself, but didn't notice a gm or anything. We both submit a petition, explaining the circumstances, and both get form letters back saying they stand by the suspension. I don't think anyone even really read our tickets, and certainly didn't take the time to explain anything or engage in a dialog at all.

I understand the need for suspensions and bans, for people who are legit cheating, harassing, etc. But, is this what it has come to, legit players get suspended for walking away to care for a child, to take care of real life? Or who miss a gm tell or /say? Are we expected to keep our attention entirely on the game every second? To me, these rules seem.heavy handed, unfair, and there's no recourse or empathy.

We both were really looking forward to playing together on this long weekend when she doesn't have kids for the first time in a while. Now she is afraid to play again after her suspension for fear they will do it again, or even do something worse like a ban. She wants to cancel.her accounts.

I'm sure I'll get flamed a little, I used to play on a pvp server and post there so it's nothing new. I just thought I'd point out how unfair and ludicrous this policy feels to us.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Impossible for anyone on the forums to give you a fair & balanced opinion here since we are unable to observe the incident in question.

Anyone who agrees with you has no evidence you were in the clear, anyone who criticises you has no evidence you were in the wrong.

So your complaint is nothing more than a soandso said this & I say say that discussion.

If you are unhappy with a decision you can petition, you've done that and since DarkPaw/DayBreak stand by their decision you have either the option to vote with your feet or to wait out the suspension.

What many players will do is ask for the specific reason or a rough idea about what kind of cheating they were suspended for, this sometimes will point you in the right direction for rectifying an unacceptable player behaviour or leave you none the wiser about exactly what you had done wrong.

Cheating as a catch-all can be a whole plethora of different activities, the most common ones are:

AFK play - i.e. you were reported for killing a creature while not being at the keyboard - this could be the player, the player's pet or the player's mercenary.

Failure to respond to an AFK check - GM will communicate with a player & the player failed to respond in time, indicating that the player is not at the Keyboard actively playing.

NOTE: The GMs may use any & all methods of communication, tells, say, ooc, emote, shout, they can even talk in your group chat or guild chat if they wish to. I can tell you that recently SAY has been used and TELL has not been used much in the recent past but they can change what method or channel they talk to you on at any time in order to circumvent scripting software that can be created to respond to that.

Automation - either using 3rd party software or programmable keyboards or a scripting program to carry out game actions while not actively playing even if you are at the keyboard.

Active hack - such as warping & teleporting.

Attacking targets from a location they cannot return damage

But to your question about "do they care" - the staff cares about the game & the players in it, but it will not tolerate cheating and if you get caught they will punish you for it.
    The staff were of the opinion that you cheated or they would not have suspended you.

Everyone I know who got a suspension eventually admitted they had done something they shouldn't have, or were not aware of through ignorance.

Think of this as a learning opportunity if you wish to continue playing, no matter what anyone else is doing so long as you are sticking to the rules you will be fine, anyone can make a mistake.
    minimind and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Gosh, notice how many hot buttons the OP tried to push?
    code-zero likes this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Personal issues do not factor in a suspension.

We are all treated equal in the game. They should not care because it does not matter who is behind the keyboard, you break the rules and get caught and there it is.

But let us reassure you that everyone who has gotten any kind of a ban, suspension etc feels the same way you do. So don't take it personally.
    code-zero, Corwyhn Lionheart and Skuz like this.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

As Catpaws says a person's personal situation isn't going to factor into suspensions. If Mother Theresa was still around and playing EQ the same thing could happen.

Now that being said I am sorry to hear your wife got caught up in this situation. Not sure if one suspension is a reason to quit the game but that is a personal decisions I guess.

I don't see the suspension being reduced or removed based on your post though. Sadly many people will say all sorts of things if they think it will help them get unsuspended so DBG doesn't take this stuf into account as far as I know.

Playing on a True Box server is going to have increased chances for suspensions because DBG seems to be sometimes slightly erring on the side of too many suspensions.

Based on what you have said and how important EQ is to your wife due to her situation I would suggest playing on a Live server where this would be less of an issue.
    code-zero and CatsPaws like this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Good point on playing on the live servers.

Btw does mother Teresa play a cleric? Or does she go wacko and go with the neco:D

Edit - she plays on 6 computers? wow that is far above my skill. I multi box, up to 9 characters or more but its all on one computer with a lot of alt tabbing and hot keys - no way could I grab one of 6 mice to move my guys around. She has skillz
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Good Trueboxers don't use mice. Ever.
  8. Flatchy Court Jester

Yeah they mostly use 3rd party programs that play the other characters for them....
    Bilbo Backpackens likes this.
  9. Allworth Elder

I 3 box with 3 separate computers. I have been disconnected about 3 times in total since I came back. At first I had no idea what was going on and thought that my ISP had gone down. Eventually, I found that it's the Truebox code that is doing this if you press keys too fast.

Sometimes EQ has a problem recognizing commands and the client is often unresponsive. I noticed this with /pet attack. If you spam your keys to rectify this, the client thinks you are cheating somehow.

The OP story seems legit. The suspension seems harsh. There should be a place where one can immediately appeal.
  10. Wisp Lorekeeper

Boxing hate is just hate. Daybreak has two player groups to satisfy, those who can't seem to keep their eyes on their own paper and those who can. They've managed to shuffle most of the first group onto the Truebox servers. I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but what probably happened was someone wanted the camp your wife was at, decided she must be cheating if she was at the camp, and reported her. That would result in a ban 100% of the time upon the IP check showing six accounts from the same IP. To avoid the problem, you just don't do that on truebox.

I'm hoping we get a "boxing allowed" TLP soon, hopefully with mischief ruleset or at least free trade. Until then I'm playing one character at a time. The truebox population is...the best way to describe it is "racist against boxers" as though it is somehow their fault that EQ became Bring Your Own Group, and not the fault of everyone who quit because they couldn't get a group.

I'm sympathetic to your wife's situation, but seek solace elsewhere, boxer hate is about the only thing tolerated on the forums nowadays.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This can be down to overall internet traffic, but it can also be due to your PC's clock being too far out of synch with the Internet time the servers are using.

Sync your PC clock to pool.ntp.org instead of time.windows.com & re-sync prior to each play session and this can make in game commands much more immediate & responsive.
    I didn't think it would make a big difference until I did this myself & it's like night & day in terms of speed of response.
    As an added bonus this will give you the correct Overseer times for missions & especially conversions.

If your PC is more than 2-3 years old it is also worth replacing the battery on the motherboard.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Allworth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.