Equalize Mischief and Thornblade Populations using this Weird Trick

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Mischief/Thornblade Population Equalization Proposal

I have devised an incentivation strategy to equalize the population of the twin servers of Mischief and Thornblade.

Until each of the respective populations is relatively equal, the server with the lower population will get an experience bonus combined with an increased chance of rare spawns bonus.

How will this work you ask?

Let's use a hypothetical example: let's say Mischief has a 50% more population than Thornblade. All Thornblade players would then get a 50% increased experience bonus and an additional 50% chance of rares spawning to incentivize new and existing players to create and play characters on the server with less population.

Server incentive bonuses would be increments or decrements of 5%. The term of the current bonus experience and rares percentage rates would last for a period of one week. Each Monday the server population numbers would be analyzed by an esteemed Darkpaw developer and the following day, the new server bonus rates would be implemented and published.

In practical terms, as more players migrate to the server with less population the bonuses would eventually scale down until server population equilibrium is attained which would mean no incentivation bonuses would exist. This could be an ongoing system that would kick in when any of the twin servers has a population imbalance.

I welcome any productive comments and feedback. I hope the EQ developers will consider this solution or some variant of it. Thanks for your time. :)
    Hypatia likes this.
  2. SunDrake Augur

There is no population imbalance to address. The server's are one week old, and neither have had any issues. I've done both servers, at most all level ranges, and it's just not an issue that would require some custom solution.
  3. yerm Augur

I 100% support this idea. The company makes a FORTUNE off people keeping their alt armies subbed to park them on the rival server to drive up their own % rate, while the forums blossom with threads about queues and people leaving level 1s in etc. Win win win.
    Brontus likes this.
  4. Brontus EQ Player Activist

How do you know this since Darkpaw will not release any population numbers? In absence of official population numbers, we can only rely on the anecdotal experience of other players.

A player named Rapala recently created a thread and reported that Mischief has 2-3 times more people than Thornblade. So, its not entirely true that there is no population imbalance to address in the minds of players.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-more-people-than-thornblade-can-xfer.275681/

I'm willing to take Rapala's claims at face value unless I see evidence that informs me otherwise.

Having a ready made solution waiting in the wings that can easily help to alleviate server population imbalance on twin release servers is wise and proactive. It's like having insurance in case your house burns down. I hope the devs at least consider this. Thanks! :)
  5. MMOer Augur

Allow xfers or merge... that's the only way to fix.

Not "give me free stuffs!"

or reroll... I did. It sucks to lose the time and effort and all...but its that or sit there LFG.

TB is a great boxing server though as more spots are open. Less people hating you for playing how you want to play there.
  6. Machen New Member

I'll just take this opportunity to point out that the only two high pop TLP's at this moment are Mischief and Rizlona. Right now, for the first time in months, live has as many high pop servers as TLP.

I came here prepared to post something different, but instead I'll have to just leave this as a big fat "I told you so." Any TLP that is medium pop in week 2 is in serious trouble. The last one to hit that prestigious milestone was Miragul.

It's a sign of things to come.
  7. Nolrog Augur

The problem is that there is no way to set this automatically. They would have to change it manually (does it require server down time?)
  8. TheDohn Augur

This is exactly what happened the last time there was an overflow server. Everyone, including DPG, knew that it would happen this way. Just pray god they don't wait as long to merge them this time.
  9. trainz Journeyman

I guess that’s why they call it riplona
  10. Zansobar Augur

I'm perfectly happy with the population on Thornblade. I don't see any problem in search of a solution here.
  11. Elskidor Augur

Merge them in a few months, sooner if needed. Problem solved.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Guys, there is a much easier way. Just do the Thanos thing, delete half the characters on Mischief randomly. Then when SoD releases and we fix time they can magically re-appear and mess everything up again.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

I stopped reading there.
  14. Demetri Augur

When I checked general pops last night there was 1236 at the peak that I noticed on Thornblade.

On a Thursday - a mere two days after a long XP weekend.

Really hard to complain about those sorts of numbers.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Hypatia New Member

110% support this idea!
    Brontus likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

But in the past, didn't they open the overflow after the regular server?
  17. Machen New Member

Opening them same time doesn't change the paradigm. Usually they were opened while the first server was still experiencing heavy queues.