/leave 1

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Niskin, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Yeah, yeah, I know, your General Chat might not be channel 1, it's just a catchy thread title.

I can't speak to things on Mischief, and it seems I always end up in the 3rd or 4th General chat on Thornblade, but man people are annoying. I don't remember anything like this on Agnarr at launch. People arguing over stupid real life crap, just being total jackholes. Not constantly, but it always shows up eventually.

I don't engage, nor was I involved in starting any of it, but I have little tolerance for it these days. I don't want to be antisocial and drop out of General, but it's the only path to sanity sometimes. Haven't cancelled the auto-join yet, but if it gets stupid I leave.

How are things for others? On Mischief? On the General chats I never seem to get into? Do you leave too?
  2. Vindicator Journeyman

People are people, and this seems to be common. The community loves to bicker and troll, especially behind the safety of the keyboard.

On the bright side, people seem to be nicer and argue a lot less than they do/did on Aradune.
  3. brickz Augur

just be happy its not an american election year. every general chat devolves into facebook boomer-tier level of discourse
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

If you really want to get them riled up just mention Commodore 64s, it's like a bright light to moths.
  5. TLP Addict Augur

Or mention Pantheon.
    minimind likes this.
  6. MMOer Augur

Not bad on Mischief. Population is much stronger.. many LFG.

Chat isn't bad.

With all the big guilds here people are pretty ruthless about spawns and no respecting camps.. Like go ahead and try to camp the raiper for jboots... there will be nice nice orderly queue. Its killsteal or starve. But with EQ anymore... This is the way.

People will steal your pull and then have a friendly chat with you and help you get exp or share loot... Nasty... but nice. Chats not toxic much which is good too.
  7. TheDohn Augur

If you want to improve your opinion of the Everquest community, step 1 is to leave public chat channels.
    minimind, Aiona and Accipiter like this.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Man, isn't that the truth. I haven't been on a public channel in 10 years. I don't know why anyone would want to subject themselves to that.
  9. Bullsnooze Augur

I tick the box in the options > general so I never see any of the chat channels. Waste of brain cells.
    minimind likes this.
  10. a_librarian Augur

I'd expect it to stay bad for a while. Fast progression will probably keep the trolls and psychos more engaged and active. Usually the 3 months of classic/kunark tedium mellows public channels out
  11. Atomos Augur

I 100% understand why people immediately turn all chat channels off.
    However there are often players asking questions in them and I like to help people, so I leave them turned on to answer those players. It means I have to deal with politics, drama, toxicity, auctions for items and krono, and guild recruitment spam.

Honestly EQ's chat channels are an unorganized an unoptimized mess and badly needs an overhaul. Then we need some official unpaid volunteer community members (Guides) to moderate those channels.
  12. Gnothappening Augur

I don't get it but I was always jealous of a friend of mine back in the day. He had a Commodore 64 and all the cool games.
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

Back in 2001 there wasn't an Opiod Crisis.
  14. MMOer Augur

Crack was the FOTM back then.
    Stymie likes this.
  15. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

In the past, leaving General Chat was a simple decision for me, but these days I like to feel at least a little connected to the server. I'm not online a ton, but I will say I haven't seen anything bad since.

In the meantime, I've seen so much kindness out there, people handing out loot to lowbies, buffing randos unprompted, helpful answers in chat. It feels like 1999 again.
  16. nagash101 Augur

Crisis? Stupid is, as Stupid does. I think it's a personal choice to take an Opioid. Have they started hiding them in McDonalds Cheese Burgers?
  17. Elskidor Augur

Agnarr was horrible at launch. I had several people on ignore that wouldn't shut up. This isn't a server thing, it's just how general chat can sometimes be.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Don't muck up my thread with ignorance. People start out in, and end up in, many different unfortunate situations in life. Taking something, whether it's an opiod, alcohol, or other drugs, is a response to their situation. It's a crisis because it's happening a lot more, especially in rural communities, due to factors that are often out of the control of said person, or predate their existence. Poverty, declines in jobs due to people migrating away from these communities, and of course poor choices, all can contribute to ending up in these situations.

Just because a person chooses to do something, doesn't mean they made that decision from their rich parent's basement, or that the choice was much worse than the situation they were already in. These things affect all kinds, and it's ignorant to pretend people just go out and make a choice like they should have just known better. Some will be like that, but most end up in these situations out of desperation from their existing situation.

TL;DR = I have a brother who is an alcoholic, whose life situation swirled until he couldn't take it anymore. We managed to save him before it killed him.

EDIT: Language removed, not worth a forum ban.
    Wovel likes this.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I didn't notice that, but with so many chat channels and so many different times people could be on that I wasn't on, I certainly could have missed it.
  20. nagash101 Augur

People make choices, some good, some bad. They then blame everything imaginable for those choices, instead of taking ownership for decision. This is coming from someone that has made many bad decisions and until I realized that those choices are all mine and I owned them, did things change and become more positive. Alcoholism is a choice and it's an easily avoidable choice, speaking from experience. Also speaking from experience with a father that died from alcoholism and a step father that is now clean after 50 years of drinking. Also speaking as a person who's socioeconomic situation was below lower\middle class for all of my childhood, sorry no basement in the trailer park. Crisis doesn't seem to fit the Opioid issues that pharmaceutical companies encouraged and now the illegal drug trade coming across the boarder is fueling, when common sense seems to be misplaced by a minority of the population.
    cri·sis "a time of intense difficulty, trouble, or danger."
    cri·sis "a time when a difficult or important decision must be made."
    cri·sis "the turning point of a disease when an important change takes place, indicating either recovery or death."