What if... A veteran is allowed to control a zone

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Landyfix, May 31, 2021.

1. Landyfix New Member

What if...
    A vet was allowed to control an old zone, like Gfay/Kel, and command certain mobs to attack / protect visitors within very strict EQ limits.
    An old zone could become a need-to-go-to zone again.
    I am thinking to let an old vet player control some aspects of the game to make an old zone unpredictable/exciting for others. Yea, let vets change code.
    As an addition to the Game-EQ rules, let the social vets control game-play. It will not be the old known/predictable game-play and just may be new/exciting/attractable to players.
    You, EQ, needs to attract old players! I think that if you make the old zones more dangerous and exciting, then you will get many more returning/paying customers.

Cheers. Pierre~Landyfix~LaNdYjOkEr
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

:rolleyes:
  3. FrozenWater Augur

They had something like this way back in the beginning of EQ. You could "log in" as an NPC ... and then the good times would roll.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

It was called Project M, and it was nothing but a way for people to grief newbie players.
  5. Angahran Augur

Well, since it appears those in charge refuse to do anything to bring in real newbie players, and haven't for at least the last decade, let's bring back Project M and have some fun with the old returning players :p
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I sense changes are in the works on that, they wont happen quickly but over the next year or 2 I think we will see a lot of effort going into reaching out to past players & then new players & changes to the game to encourage growth.
    I think EG7 are very much interested in seeing EQ (and every other game it owns) grow.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. KarmaKitty Augur

Maybe they can do something as an option on shrouds. Does anyone still use those ?
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Maybe a handful do, I don't think they were particularly popular after they got their XP nerfed into oblivion, doing anything with them is not a good idea why put all the time & effort into building a strong main then give that up to play a weak and severely handicapped monster?

They really were not much fun anyway and the few monster missions that were created for the system were pretty frustrating as most of them were so badly tuned there was only a very limited number of ways to tackle them that would actually allow a completion of the objectives and those were not even all that intuitive and often did not follow normal play patterns & choices.

There weren't even any achievements added for shrouds, its basically a forgotten system aside from the Gnoll Totem/AC AA.
  9. KarmaKitty Augur

Guess the whole shroud thing is something they should ignore if they ever move to a new platform.
  10. KarmaKitty Augur

But who needs shrouds, we haz illusions :D

We need more sexy illusions for pets and ourselves :) That is just eye candy / art.
  11. Coagagin Guild house cat

Gnoll/Totem though boring is still a must for any and all serious raid toons.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I would open a Little Ceasers in GFay, and a 711 in Crushbone!
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would argue it's meaningless at end game, and has been for several expansions.
    Tarvas likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would argue that by end game any & all individual gains are essentially meaningless in isolation.

At that point it's a game of tiny incremental increases & it is the sum total of all of them adding up together to collectively have a meaningful benefit. If you are a min/maxer, you get it even if it's a tiny improvement.
  15. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

I remember some one controlling Mayong and stalking me in CMM.
  16. Hegsheoshed Augur

DCCXI please. Gnoman Gnumerals only thank you
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Once upon a time, people sucked. That led to the invention of walls, which kept people from noticing who on the other side of the wall sucked. Then people said, "these walls are very annoying," so they took them down, only to realize people still suck. That led to the invention of chain-link fences, because really we want to be apart from the people who we perceive to suck, but still be able to see them to make sure that is still the case.
  18. KarmaKitty Augur

"Brick and wood block the shot. Chain link is your friend" -- Elmer Fud Wabbit Hunter :p
  19. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

We don't disagree, but the returns on that particular buff are entirely negligible - like within the margin of error. Not trying to dissuade anyone from completing that quest. When the quest was current the benefit was pretty outstanding. Plus, shrouds should be experienced by everyone at least once. ;)
  20. Ted the Mechanic Journeyman

I have always thought the next big quest item should require max level shrouds in some way for this reason.