Do any guilds still exist that don't use Discord or voice chat for raiding?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rorce, May 31, 2021.

1. Metanis Bad Company

I have a great deal of hearing loss but can manage with a decent headset with good noise cancelling earpieces.

However I also am a big time complainer during raids when there is too much chatter in the TeamSpeak raid channel. It can help immensely if your raid leader enforces good rules in that regard.

I was just doing some searching for real time voice to text translators and it appears there are many of them out there including Skype! Perhaps add a spare laptop to your desk and just use it for that purpose?

As a sample URL... Best speech-to-text software in 2021: Free, paid and online voice recognition apps and services | TechRadar
    Elyssanda likes this.
  2. minimind The Village Idiot

My raid alliance had been using Teamspeak for years, but I rarely joined the "raid' channel during raids. I just chilled with buddies in a non-raid TS channel, followed the text instructions, and kicked butt.

And then we got into TBL. That was a step up in difficulty (we're an alliance of casual/family guilds... not everyone has high/max AAs) and complexity. I started to jump into the TS raid channel for certain events. Come ToV, I was in the TS raid channel for all events. Same with CoV.

I miss the less-complex raids where we could just chat and be a bit less stressed.
    Elyssanda, Silu and Rorce like this.
  3. zleski Augur

We have one or two deaf/hoh players and key raid information is conveyed both in voice comms and in /rs; GINA is required. GINA supports copying text to clipboard when a trigger fires, and I'd suggest your guild leadership use it to put information into /rs and for them to use social hotkeys for common commands.

On Cazic, Freelance, an open raiding group, does not require voice comms - the leader, Furro, does not use the discord set up by others. Freelance has beaten all of COV tier 1 and 2 and is working now on tier 3.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Rorce like this.
  4. Viper1 Augur

I really wish this functionality was built into the EQ client itself. A separate "Big Buff" window that took a user defined list of critical buffs, songs and current target debuffs and displayed them in a form essentially identical to a gina timer. That way it would be hooked into the client itself to read buff status instead of being reliant on the log file.
    Ssdar and Rorce like this.
  5. Rorce Augur

That's...the best idea I've heard in weeks!
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Threads like these are the ones that matter. Are you listening Darkpaw? Are you?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Metanis like this.
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

Pun intended or is that comment by accident?
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Whether pun or solemn, the thread deserves attention.
    Stymie likes this.
  9. Marton Augur

This would be pretty cool.
  10. Bigstomp Augur

I'm really surprised that it appears you rate TBL as less difficult than ToV.
    Different raid forces struggle with different things but this still surprises me.
  11. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Is NCG still rolling or is it a new alliance LilB? Aurilius here.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  12. Silu Elder

Still going!

This weekend will be raid #733 for one of the teams. Made huge progress during quarantine, finishing RoS (and EoK? Unsure, I had just come back then), all of TBL except Mearatas (did not attempt yet), all of ToV (3 raid achievements left), CoV T1, Sontalak, and last week, both Crusaders and Defenders.
  13. minimind The Village Idiot

Ho. Li. Shiyet. AURI! I had no idea you were still in game!

But ya, what Sil said. We were stymied by the Kar`zok event in EoK for a LONG time and then Sathir's Tomb in RoS gave us a little trouble, but after that it felt like we steamrolled through TBL and completed ToV in just over a month (and before CoV launched).

You gotta stop in to say "Hi" on a Saturday night!
  14. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Are you going to give me a toon to play for Mearatas? :D
  15. minimind The Village Idiot

As a casual raid alliance, we normally completed raid progression after a 5-level bump to make up for low-AA counts and casual raid discipline. Additionally, the extra loot system (double currency, loot) in raids helped us gear up quickly mash TBL without too much issue.

We were in RoS at the beginning of 2020 and got our first TBL wins in late July. We had everything but Mearatas beaten by early October. Looking back, we spent approximately the same amount of time getting first wins in both TBL and ToV, but I think we took many more wipes in ToV than TBL. There were just so many more events that required individual raider discipline and that's a bit of a weakpoint for us.

Still, our main raid (Saturday Night Corpse Run) raids only once per week so we're pretty proud of what we can do with what we have.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  16. Tyranthraxus Grognard

Yeah I hopped back on Luclin after a long absence a few years ago, didn't recognize the place and rerolled on tlp to remember where I was lol. First TLP died, Manglers still going strong, I'll catch yall eventually! Elu and I raid there now, as Tyryn and Kaleesi. I'll log in some saturday and check in.
  17. Silu Elder

How's your enchanter game and your Saturday nights? :)
    minimind likes this.
  18. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

Good, and depends on what time
  19. Gnomereaper Augur

I believe we need a visual representation trigger guide that looks like the Buff Menu with icons and text for the trigger or emote and that pass out of this window after the trigger or emote passes. This would streamline the need for audio triggers and move towards larger and graphical representation that stays around longer than a few seconds. This might help people with certain disabilities.
    minimind likes this.
  20. Dalrek_MM Elder

Thanks! We just beat it last night. Without using discord ;-)
    Bigstomp, Metanis and Yinla like this.