umm...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, May 20, 2021.

1. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I picked up a MSI GL65 Leopard last year for under 1k, but they tend to go for more than your price point.

Its has a build with a 500gb SSD and 1tb HDD, 16gb ram, an extra expansion slot for another SSD, current gen i7, only downsides are the video card is only a 1660ti (but I wanted a machine I could use primarily for work, cause they funded some of it, but could play through my steam library and handle current gen MMO's when I have to travel) and the speakers are less than good (I havent particularly liked laptop speakers other than my old Dell XPS from 10+ years ago, which sounded amazing).

Yours sounds like the slightly-less-included-than-that MSI option.

edit - was a slightly different version of https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gl...-492-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155642R?
  2. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

This is on the truck to be delivered to me today. Did I NEED it, no, not really. I have second older desktop PC than the one I am currently using, but it is really bogged down, and desperately needs a wipe and reinstall of Windows. Plus, the laptop will mean I can take my addic... hobby... with me when I travel.

https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gf-series-gf63-thin-9scxr-1092-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155853?Item=N82E16834155853
    EDIT: It did come with the free backpack. Got it separately two days ago. It's ridiculously huge. If the laptop will fit in my current EDC pack, this big boy will become my new range bag.
  3. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

First of all, it is a nice laptop! I liked the laptop Nice red lit keyboard.( I refunded mine )
    I couldn't find the drivers on MSI website for my exact model. Although the MSI software is great. I also wanted to upgrade mine to 16gb. They stick a Manufacture sticker on one of the screws... so it might void my extra 2 year warranty I bought for it.. Back to shopping for a 16gb laptop.

Notbad, Bestbuy has the 256gb version (slightly updated processor) no backpack. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-gf...-ssd-8gb-memory-black/6456141.p?skuId=6456141

there are so many versions of this MSI laptop :). Out off HP and Dell I chose the MSI brand.. for that tier.

Costco has the 17 inch version i5 10300 8gb 512 1650ti. $899 I think. I saw it yesterday.. Nice chicklet keybard raised keys higher then the smaller version. Number pad.. red glow. Same battery size as the small version.

Let me know how it plays :D
    Thanks for your reply!
    Doranur_Aleguzzler likes this.
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Plays REALLY well. Running EQ off a flash drive with it.
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Well... I missed the sale on the Zephyrus 14.
    I like the model because of battery life.
    I started looking at Bestbuy again and found other models of the Zephyrus 14.
    To upgrade to 16gb, it is about $120 for the ram itself.
    To upgrade battery on certain laptops to get more hrs .. $80 plus shipping ?
    The reason I have my eye on the Zephyrus 14 is the power and battery.

So from the MSI 1660 ti 8gb ram model at $999.. the zyphyrus 14 ( that I missed the sale ) is/was $1149.99.
    It is worth the extra $150 for 16gb ram, better vid card and cpu.. plus larger battery.. BUT I missed the sale ><

Well I did find another ..
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...oonlight-white-moonlight-white/6452913?page=2
    Model: GA401QM-211 ZG14 SKU: 6452913

10 hr battery (I'm typing on it in now).

Ryzen 9 5900HS
    GTX 3060 Maz-Q (60w +20w boost) = 80W
    16GB 3200
    1tb M.2
    144Hz 100% sRGB
    76Wh battery.
    Open-Box $1349.99
  6. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

That seems to be a thing with their keyboard drivers.

My RGB keyboard is stuck on red (despite being full rgb according to their specs, an I wanted a brighter backlighting) because the driver just doesnt exist according to everything I've tried.
  7. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

That model doesn't have RGB keyboards.

Mine doesn't either :p
  8. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I can't get dedicated gpu to work right, and now see videos of fan issues... refunding.
    SIGH.
  9. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I can't get dedicated gpu to work right, and now see videos of fan issues... refunding.
    SIGH.
  10. Bardy McFly Augur

I love Asus but be careful of the warranty. Repairs can sometimes take months to come back. I was going to recommend a used or great deal G14 until mine stopped charging the battery after only 8 months. Been almost 2 months and still no word on when the repair will be done. Back to Alienware for me. The next day repair warranty is worth it though I have only had to use it twice in 9 or 10 laptops over the past 15 years.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

With Nvida cards you need to go to the Nvidia control panel and tell it which apps should use the dedicated GPU. At least I had to do that on one of my laptops.
  12. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Alienware warranty is the best... even if your in a park, they will show up and fix your laptop there. ;)
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  13. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I'm trying it again ... I didn't get to go to BB yet. Giving it another shot.
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I got Nvidia card to work. I exchanged the 'open-box' for new.
  15. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

So, after a few days... how do you like it :)
  16. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Loving it. Screen is a little small for my old eyes, probably should have gotten a 17 inch. But, it's an amazing machine. A far cry from my first PC I used to play EQ on back in 2001.
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You could get the MSI 17.5" inch at Costco right now :
    https://www.costco.com/msi-gf75-thi...---144hz-1080p-display.product.100684897.html
    $749. Sale is $100 off.
    Better cpu and ti graphics.

Processor & Memory:
    10th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-10300H Processor at 2.5GHz
    8GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM

Memory:
    8 GB

Drives:
    512GB NVMe Solid State Drive

Communications:
    Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2x2) + Bluetooth® 5.1
    Integrated 720p HD Webcam