Too fast on suspension on multi pc's - any one else get this

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ilshade, May 29, 2021.

1. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Because 95% of the time when someone comes on the forums with a woe is me I got banned post they are lying sacks of faerie dust trying to either 1. shame DPG into unbanning them or 2. trying to drive away business after they were caught and are upset about it.
    Stymie and Lejaun like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If you are hiding /say or other chats by not having their tabs visible all the time that's on you.
    Knowing that if you ignore a GM communication they will likely hand you a suspension for AFK play it is you who are being silly to hide communications channels.

I 3 box myself and all 3 of my PC's are set up so I always have 100% visibility on all communication channels, I only hide stuff like others spells, songs, pet messages, Merc Messages, loot rolls, others combat etc in tabbed windows behind chats.

You can use the filters option to make NPC dialogue a different colour to other /say too which helps making anything said by a player or GM in /say much easier to spot.

Default UI is by no means perfect it is overly cluttered and could use a lot of streamlining, but it is very adaptable, if you are not using it well best figure it out or enjoy your suspension I guess.
  3. c313 Augur

Yeah well a GM is not going to wait on you so GL with that
    Skuz likes this.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Does anyone use a list of the GM names to facilitate this?

Triggers:
    They can use:
    /emote
    Woebot waves
    Woebot cheers
    /ooc
    (I forget does this have a distinct verb?)
    /shout
    Woebot shouts
    /say
    Woebot says
    /tell
    Woebot tells you

You could just set up 'Woebot' as the trigger, but then it would alert even if someone says the name. Not a big deal really, and probably the best approach.

Seems like if you know the GM names and you're worried about missing it, this would be something to try.
  5. Gnomie Denser than most

I've never been afk checked; but I have friends who have. Some of these friends I know personally, and know they weren't afk or using illegal programs when they were checked...they just don't pay attention. Have seen a few folks get undeserved 7 day suspensions.

I know one friend got one this past Thursday, right before the exp event. He hasn't played since he played on Coirnav, and was excited to come back. Now he's so discouraged about missing the exp event and falling behind because he missed a random 'say' message, that he's considering just quitting again.

Personally, I think it's VERY obvious when someone is using automated boxing, and it's very easy to tell just by looking at most of them. However, I think the true checks need to be a little more involved. Have a few lines of conversation with the person if necessary to ensure no afk boxing.

I'll be honest, when i'm 6 boxing on 6 PC's, and healing, and tanking, and have a charm pet break...I'm doing so much multitasking that the say window is the last thing I really think to look at. Heck, half the time I miss people taking to me in guild chat during an intense fight. If I got AFK checked during certain times, I'd probably be screwed myself.

I hate hackers and botters with a passion; but just got to make sure the right people are being punished. I reported someone last night who was sitting at the Royals camp in SolB and somehow taunting named mobs I was fighting at B&B halfway across the zone. Every named mob i'd be mid combat and it'd randomly target him and start running off towards Royals. Reported it, incident was immediately closed, player kept on doing his thing.
  6. Kylo Classic Augur

Do I need to get my pitchfork?
  7. Quik Augur

I haven't been playing a month and I took the time to read every boxing rule I could and research it before i started. I read a few posts about GM's and how they check people out and I have made sure I am following the rules. I was tested 1 time, I got a /wave, and I haven't been checked since. Of course I don't know how often they check but still...

I figured it is on ME to understand the rules, not on DB to explain the rules you just broke.

Then again, I am almost 50 and I come from an era where we were taught to accept blame instead of always blaming it on someone else...
  8. Quik Augur

OH OH Can I carry a torch?!?! I wanna carry a torch!!!
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Because this is not the only forum for the game, there are many others.

More than you realize get suspended. The different is that they don't come here to post because this is like kindergarten to them.

The big guys are like the fight club.....and what is the first rule?
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I do think that regardless of knowing that GMs will use /say that it is very problematic due to all the /say spam that can occur. Of course the whole reason GMs moved to this is to make it harder to automate alerts. Thing is people actively boxing can easily miss these.

I use tell auto alerts so I don't miss any tells which are primarily from members of my guild. I am sure I am not alone in this and the fact we use audio alerts just to not miss communications means GMs using say can be problematic in my opinion.

Not sure what the answer is. When the end result is getting a suspension I think more thought has to be put into how this could be done. This ends up being more of a penalty to those who box then it is a way to catch cheaters in my opinion.

In the end a test that gives too many false positives is a useless test.
    Stymie likes this.
  11. FinalTidus23 Lorekeeper

I'm a 6 true boxer and I would probably get the ban because I don't look at all my boxes probably as much as they want me to.

Truth is, you're in their house and you abide by their rules, even if you paid to get in. So in order to aboid this type of situation, imo, is read up the rules on what you are doing so that you know beforehand that if you do not reply then you will be banned. Otherwise, if that is not acceptable, then I'd suggest not boxing on true box servers specifically.

Other options out there atm where that is ok I think?
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

I have to disagree at least in principal. I get a ton of spam on my main character PC. That's the only PC I watch actively so there's no way I'm going to see a message from anyone in say. I send say to another window but you still have the same problem.
  13. Nykara2 Elder

Tbh this is the most stupid way to do it ever. Especially if they don't give you time to respond.

I rarely pay attention to chat channels when I am busy playing. A tell pops up and is easy to see.
    We have 3 here, me, hubby and 1 box on hubby's laptop.

We often group with other guildies. When you're busy, you're busy. It's dumb not to try a couple of different methods and give a response time. Players will respond, bots won't but at least give them a chance to. Otherwise they suspend people for no reason.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The GM's do give players time to respond.

I do understand that players are busy, like I said I am a 3 boxer myself, so I am well are of the difficulties.

You can change the colour of npc dialogue in chat options which really does help a lot to differentiate it from other players & GM's using it.

By all means post you don't like them using say, I don't think it will get anyone very far.
    But if you are deliberately ignoring it, or deliberately sending it to a tabbed chat window you don't have visible at all times it's absolutely your own fault if you get suspensions for failing to respond to GM's

Being aware that GM's are doing this is the first step in protecting yourself from a suspension, adapting to what they are doing is the second. Ignoring the problem or making excuses won't help you.

If you want to blame anyone for the GM using say instead of tell blame the cheaters, it wasn't me who set the GM policy. They do this for a reason.
  15. Lanffear Filthy Boxer

I'm not sure why they don't use a random question that would be impossible for a bot to predict an answer to in tells. Such as:

What zone are you currently in?
    What's today's date?
    What's the third letter of this account log in name?

Those are just examples but the potential list is endless. Come up with new ones and randomize. Unless maybe the GMs are bots. :p
    Nykara2 and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  16. Tweakfour17 Augur

:eek: The plot thickens
    Stymie and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

I'll go one further. If I am boxing and dealing with mobs and a GM shows up to do a say check, most of the time the only way I would be able to answer them is to stop and die. I'll be the first to admit I'm not great at multi-tasking. That is why all of my boxes are 1 button wonders other than the main one I'm driving.
    Nykara2 likes this.
  18. Gnothappening Augur

To be fair, nowhere have I found it to say that if you ignore a chat channel, you will be banned. I think less people would be upset, or at least have a reason to be upset, if the rules for each TLP included "We can/will do random checks in any channel. If you miss one of these checks, you run the risk of being suspended.
  19. Wovel Journeyman

I don't blame you and I understand why they do it. However, that doesn't change the fact that it is a bad policy and they should find another way. If it is really true they are give suspensions that cannot be appealed simply for not responding to a say message, then this should be a publicly stated policy. It is not.

Someone said if you don't want to be suspended/banned read up on the rules. What rule? Where can I read it. Can anyone provide a link from an official source that this is a policy and they do this? Otherwise, this is a pointless circular discussion.
    Nykara2 likes this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

https://www.daybreakgames.com/terms-of-service

The GM policies are never going to be public information, they are for the GMs use only.

The GM's are the game's terms of service enforcers, it's implicit that if they ask you a question that you need to respond promptly, there's no getting around that if you wish to continue to play.

Have a nice day. :D
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.