Used to take 15 seconds to load, now...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Reshu, May 29, 2021.

1. Reshu New Member

Whenever I zone it takes me at least 2-3 minutes. It is really frustrating. This is a new problem as recent as a few days before the launch of the new servers.

Any ideas why this would suddenly happen? I have never had this problem before. The video card is up to date. Not sure what else to try or where to go to get answers.

If anyone could offer a solution I would be really grateful.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Test after each step. If no change, move on to next step.
    1. Do other games or applications on your computer seem to take a long time to load? If no, proceed to Step 2. If yes, you may have received a recent Windows update which is causing issues. Typically this is resolved by updating drivers and/or BIOS.
    2. Create a character on a different server. Zone times improve, worsen, or stay the same?
    3. Power cycle your modem and router. If you have a mesh network power cycle that, too.
    4. Connect to an alternate network and see if things improve. If on ethernet, try wifi. If on wifi, try ethernet. Phone wifi hotspot is also a good short-term testing alternative.
    5. Speed test/Ping test/Jitter test - are your results [>5Mbps DOWN, >1Mbps UP]/<AVG 100ms/<30ms?
    6. Rename your eqclient.ini to eqclient.old. Run a file scan. Log in to the game. If no improvement, log out of EQ. Delete the eqclient.ini. Rename the eqclient.old to eqclient.ini.
    This should get you started. If issue persists, post back.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Reshu New Member

No luck. It takes about 90 seconds to zone into another area on average compared to the normal 15 seconds I am used to...

1. My comp is running everything else fine. Other programs start up normally. I played 3 toons at once on this computer on Rizlona and never had a problem.
    2. Did this and the problem was the same. Around a minute and half to zone.
    3. Did this. Tried both wifi and wired no change.
    4. Didn't do this
    5. 395Mbps DOWN, 12ms ping with 1.5ms jitter
    6. Would someone explain why to try this?

Everything loads like normal but after about 15 seconds, instead of zoning it just hangs there for another minute or so. Again, I have played EQ since 2001 and never had this problem and it is really annoying. Appreciate the help.
  4. Reshu New Member

Solution: Disabling my addons fixed my problem. Now I zone in 10 seconds, sigh. Occam's razor "the simplest explanation is usually the best one."
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

For the sake of completeness, in case someone else experiences the same issue, which addons did you disable?
    Skuz likes this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

EQClient is where many of the parameters that govern the settings under which EverQuest operates are stored.

Renaming your old EQClient to .old and running a file scan forces the EQClient to be rebuilt. This simple test will tell you if the issue is with a settings change within the EQClient.ini
    Reshu and Skuz like this.
  7. Reshu New Member

3D target Ring from EQinterface.