New Player - EQ Crashing PC (Reboot; No Errors)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Oakengroves, May 28, 2021.

1. Oakengroves New Member

Hello,

I was excited to try playing on the new TLP, downloaded EQ, and am experiencing strange intermittent system reboot crashes [my PC literally reboots without warning or errors after anywhere from 2-5 minutes of play]. No other game or system process previously caused this issue, and my PC easily meets the minimum specs (Ryzen 9, 5900X, Nvidia RTX 3070).

Event viewer contains entries shown below for each crash. Any help resolving or fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated (not particularly tech savvy and very little time to devote to debugging/troubleshooting). Thank you!

WHEA Logger:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
    Error Source: Machine Check Exception
    Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
    Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

Critical:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

Wow! Nice system, way tooooooo much power for EQ though.

Update everything, BIOS, hardware drivers, windows, DX9c June2010 update, and especially video drivers. Also reseat your DIMMs and verify they are in the recommended slots. The "Bus/Interconnect Error" makes me think in terms of memory swapping or video paging using system RAM.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

System crashes are *almost never* causing by applications. Windows 10 application segregation is the best in any version of Windows OS. System crashes like the one you describe are nearly always hardware-related.

When Windows throws that generic [The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.] it's an indicator that the OS didn't even have time to generate a crash report. Which points to a hardware stability issue.

My first instinct is to look at power delivery.
    • What power supply are you running?
    • What motherboard?
    • Are ALL the connectors in the system fully seated? ATX, CPU, Power Supply (if modular)?
    • Do you have all the CPU power dongles on the motherboard occupied?
    Once all those are checked, look at memory:
    • As noted by Metanis above, is the memory fully seated? Remove and re-seat.
    • What XMP profile are you running?
    • Are you overclocking your memory?
    • If you remove XMP and run at standard speed, does system stability improve?
    Next, Motherboard:
    • What BIOS does your motherboard use?
    • Have you updated it recently? The latest AGESA update released drastically improved stability for many AMD systems.
    • What AMD driver package are you running?
    • If you are running Ryzen Master, return all settings to defaults.
    Next Video Card:
    • Is the video card fully seated? Remove and re-seat.
    • Connectors fully seated?
    Peripherals:
    • If you are running external USB peripherals, unplug them one at a time and re-test EQ.
    This is, by no means, intended to be a comprehensive troubleshooting list. It should serve as a quick list framework for troubleshooting. You should not dismiss or overlook anything. Everything is suspect when it comes to system stability.

Good luck!
    PS - Nice computer!!
    Metanis and Skuz like this.