Beware of heritage crate illusion resellers.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, May 24, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Krono resellers (people who likely own 200+ Krono) set up a character on each server with a 2m pay line in /barter or 1-3 Krono in person for the illusion, hoard it, and then flip it for 10-15 Krono each when the crate leaves the shop. This limits opportunities for players (who may disagree with RNG or gambling) to purchase the illusion or other crate items outright. (Disclaimer: I already own every heritage illusion but many good people are struggling to find supply and buy).

Krono resellers are also banking on naivete or expediency of the original sellers. This thread helps to raise awareness of possible higher prices. (Some players don't mind selling lower - but it could go towards helping an actual collector/user).

In fairness, yes, Krono resellers are spending the time to hunt for cheap deals, that's their prerogative and right. They deserve to be rewarded for their time and effort.

The illusions are limited in the sense that they are ultra rare due to RNG and the crate leaves after 90 days. The last time old Heritage crates came back were December of 2018 I believe.

I do think - as a suggestion or feedback - the studio should offer a guaranteed heritage illusion and mount bundle (like Gnome Heritage Bundle from Torment of Velious Family-and-Friend Edition) for $100+.
  2. KrakenReality Augur

What is getting lost in this discussion, is that there is no guarantee to receive an illusion from a crate. Someone could drop $500 in Heritage crates and never get the item.

Once upon a time, I spent like $200 on LoN packs to get that sweet, sweet Queen Pyrilonis illusion and never got it. I could've bought it for like $200-250 off Ebay at the time.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Here is a thought experiment on market manipulation:

Let's say there are about 6 illusions up for sale on each server per heritage crate (90 days). There are maybe about 10 serious collectors per server (folks willing to pay a decent price of 3-8 Krono for 1).

There's about 3 Krono resellers (not your average Joe). They purchase 4 of the 6 available illusions. The other 2 illusions are fortunately sold off to actual players on the server. The 4 illusions are now hoarded and enter a serverwide pool.

Now you have maybe 100 collectors across all servers without the illusion. Krono resellers monopolize the supply and are able to require a high sum (10-15 Krono per).

Unfortunately, Krono resellers used to stick to Krono flipping (where they only put in a 10-20% premium) and left LoN and Heritage items untouched. RNG crates were defensible in the sense that average Joe could spend up to $100 to guarantee himself an illusion (RNG was fairly moot). Now, Krono resellers are limiting available supply and marking up these illusions by 200-300%.
  4. Bardy McFly Augur

Supply and demand. Resellers sucks in the real and virtual world, but it is what it is with an open market. Would you rather this stuff be no-drop and have to spend "$500" (or whatever it ends up costing) for the one targeted item you want? Sometimes you may get ahead with a reseller, sometimes you may not. This is way too much stress over some digital pixels imho (and I do love my illusion clickies so trust me I do understand your pain).
  5. jiri_ Augur

Lootboxes are scummy as hell.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The RNG on the crates was fairly moot until Krono resellers entered the market.

I used to go and say, "Just buy 4 Kronos and trade it for the illusion outright.' You could also spend 2m or 1 Krono on any missing painting. It was a sub-$100 purchase. (You still can but you'll have to spam your server or other servers).

Now, rare crate items will be out of the reach of the majority of players if these Krono resellers hoard them up and expect $200-$300+ worth of Krono.
  7. Warpeace Augur

Veblin Goods
    Stymie and Benito like this.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Is this thread my "sick attempt" (reverse psychology) at rationalizing $100-$300 for cosmetics? :rolleyes:
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Who knows what your threads are.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

A Socratic dialogue (as any other internet thread).
  11. Fcseven XIII Journeyman

Maybe find a way to NFT heritage loot. :) It will have to happen eventually anyways.
    Benito likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you think these reseller's were never in the market? They have always been part of it the only change has been what people are willing to pay for it which just gave them more reasons to be aggressive about it. I would say the only real complaint here is that some of the items are so rare that people know they can save them for when the box is no longer in the marketplace in order to get a higher price.

I really don't think this is anything new and I also don't think as many players read these forums as you think and will find out about it from this thread.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If they (3-4 cross-server sellers) control the supply (at least hoarding the majority of it), they have more - if not, complete - influence over the price. It is not a monopoly in the complete sense of the word but it is close to it.

Sure, people can go and buy more crates to get more illusions (within 90 days). But, from the pattern, once people complete their familiar or furniture set, the supply markedly drops off.

A tangible solution would be for Darkpaw to sell a $100-$175+ guaranteed illusion and mount bundle. This would cap the market. They already do this on EQ2 (Gilded Familiar Bundles - guaranteed Celestial familiar) and in the past on EQ1 (Gnome Heritage Bundle - ToV FnF).
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why do you think this would cap the market price? There are plenty of people who acquire krono through gameplay or trades. To someone who is getting krono through these methods and not buying them it isn't hard to imagine that they would be willing to spend more krono than someone who just straight up buys them for the trade. Also if they just sold those items directly that would reduce the market for trading them as people would just buy the item they want instead of play the loto on the crate.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If the guaranteed illusion and mount bundle is set at $149 for instance, people are: (1) given the option to buy directly (not rely on RNG or Krono resellers) and (2) cap their spending at the bundle price.

If someone wants to pay more than $149 (for example) in Krono as trade, that is their prerogative. Even better, that means people have the option to buy the illusion (guaranteed) and put supply in the market.
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

FOR CLARITY:

In the context of this discussion, I have used the word reseller as that's what the posts here have used. That means someone who, in theory, buys things cheap to sell them high later IN-GAME.

3rd party or out of game transactions are not supported. You will get scammed. We will not be able to help you. Action can be taken on your account.
    Bardy McFly, Thunderkiks and Benito like this.
  17. jiri_ Augur

RMT, RNG-based loot crates are scummy, whether there's krono or resellers or whatever involved or not.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I never assumed any other definition or context. (Though, I can see how someone could twist your words and use it incorrectly as tacit approval). :)

My apologies for using the 'Krono reseller' term - it is to clearly draw the distinction more specifically from *those* resellers and average Joe reseller.

And my description of a paid illusion & mount bundle (monetary) is strictly only in relation to EG7/Darkpaw Games perhaps selling one on their marketplace/website in the future.
    Mepps likes this.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

100$ for an illusion is money out of your ACTUAL pocket, while a krono is a much more abstract entity you might not even have to spend any money on. Thus, paying xx krono for something silly is a lot easier to justify to yourself/household, than spending actual money on it....

DBG knows this and the resellers knows this too. If DBG thinks krono-hoarding resellers is a problem they can easily fix it be rereleasing the stuff in marketplace cheaply. But meanwhile it is in DBG's interest to keep prices high

Tbh, I think it is somewhat concerning that the gaming industry tries so hard to earn money through RMT on people who has a compulsion to "collect everything". Personally, I find it distastefully greedy.
    What happened to the game developers, who were genuinely compassionate about the artform, rather than pushing for RMT and big money?

Im not even sure all this RMT supports the devs at all!
    Im sure they don't get a pay-raise based on marketplace profits...
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

So my argument is trying to compromise with regard to the crate illusions (and other crate items).

Yes, Darkpaw Games (EG7) wants and needs to make money. (It's a business: they pay employees, have operating costs, and need to satisfy investors). Evidently, people are willing to pay north of $50 per special illusion. At the same time, let's cut out the illicit folk from the loop/system.

By selling a guaranteed bundle for a fairly high price, there is still some incentive to go ahead and try your luck on the crates. But at the same time, the RNG (gambling) argument and concerns about specific resellers is quashed by the guaranteed bundle. But Darkpaw can recuperate revenue on customers who would otherwise walk away by high crate costs (RNG) and high resale.