Hunter's Achievement has become of little value now.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sheebea, May 26, 2021.

1. Sheebea Augur

I have done nearly all Hunters from the classic expansions, and have moved on up to DOD so far. I am seeing my passive guild members getting numerous credits daily. Also afk PC's in the Lobby getting Hunter's . Too easy. As stated, I have killed all my mob. Just sitting afk and not even in the zone the mob spawns in. Yeah, I have had alts get me a mob, but it was still me camping and killing it. The Achievement has lost value now. With the Hunter Raid Group kills going on, I find lvl 115 PC'c all over the early expansions. It makes it very tough to get other tasks/quests done due to mass killings. Btw, I am not 115 or close.
    I propose the achievement being granted only if a PC is in the zone, minimum. Ok, rant said. Let the trolls loose now.
  2. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

No thanks...lots of subgames in EQ if you don't like this one anymore find one you do like.
    Hunters has been like this forever vis a vie getting credits by being grouped but not in zone.

DP please leave as is it's fine thanks.
    Alena, Ozon, Duder and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sindace Elder

Hate to break it to you, but hunter achievements were always of little value (outside of newer content). The value was always in exploring the old zones. People raiding these are missing out.

That being said, the idea to ditch kill credit when not in zone is a terrible plan.
    Alena, Ozon and Duder like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You seriously begrudge a social game actually being social?

You want to stop people helping each other out and acting as a community?

I am not sure you are aware of this but EverQuest is actually one of the foundation blocks of social gaming, an activity where people came together to form a community, to work as a team.

But you want to destroy what for many is a fairly significant social activity for what?

To massage your own supercilious ego?

Get over yourself, Hunter Raids are a perfect example of how the EverQuest community can help each other, and on more community-minded servers players have formed these with multiple guilds taking part, they got to play in groups where they are not grouped just with their own guild mates but people they don't usually get to play with, and it can be a lot of fun.

So a few folks who maybe had to go look after a sick relative or actually only had time to log in & were not actually able to take part due to RL commitments were taken care of by their friends - and you feel butt-hurt about that?

Try seeing the bigger picture & not being so self-absorbed, and self-centred nobody is diminishing your achievement that you gained alone or in your little clique here, such a petty hill to die on.

/SMDH
    Endorek, Ozon, code-zero and 5 others like this.
  5. Froglok Augur

Little value?

The many bags are Heirloom, allowing many of us to give our Alts bigger bags.

There are players who have a hard time finding their way out of the Guild Lobby (sarcasm, but not far off)... doing Hunters is a great way to learn your way around, use maps and use the Map Tool.

The biggest value of all? Fun doing them!
    Ulrin, Bardy McFly, Tsavo and 2 others like this.
  6. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

I can only assume that the mechanic allowing players not in a zone, but in a group or raid, to get hunter achievement credit for a kill is because someone that died in the fight might not be in the zone when the mob dies, and they should still get credit. If some players will group alts or others sitting afk elsewhere to share the credit, maybe that is just the price to pay in order to be fair in the intended situation.

If I was to make a complaint about old content and higher level characters, it is that neither achievement rewards nor anything else from older content should be relevant to characters way above the level of that content. If the game is so top-heavy on live servers that zones below lvl 85 are virtually deserted 24/7 except for high level toons farming achievements or tradeskill items or drops for alts, then that is a problem. But it is not a problem to be solved by encouraging those high level characters to go and slaughter the entire zone over and over again.

For instance, I am extremely annoyed by velious food/drink using drops/forages/ground spawns from much older zones that almost no one goes to except to get those items. I see people selling stacks of 1000's of oranges for ridiculous amounts, and I can only assume afk foraging using banned software to build up a supply like that. I write this as I have a 112 druid, 110 druid, and 109 ranger sitting in PoI foraging for clockwork grease, but I am at my keyboard hitting the forage button in between sentences, and I've come up with about 170 clockwork grease in no more than 2 hours of that.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  7. Bigstomp Augur

When the zone resets or a new pick opens, the vendor in WW has 1000 limes and 1000 oranges. (and 1000 lemons, but I think they're available elsewhere now)
  8. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Ah, so not afk foraging, but camping the zone repop to resell at a huge premium. Still classy.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

I have not resold them, but knowing when raid guilds tend to raid, I did manage to get in on a pick and pick up a set of 1k of each for my own use.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

Bah way to ruin the secret lol. ;)
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The new statfood isn't THAT much better than the older statfood you can make from overseer mats alone. Im just using Kunark Meatpie and Primodial Plasma Smoothie.
    Its so easy, I don't even bother with force-feeding anymore. :)
    Skuz, Tatanka and Velisaris_MS like this.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

One small benefit for the person (or persons) actually going out and killing the mobs for the lazy bums sitting in the lobby...you end up with bags full of loot to tribute.
  13. Laronk Augur

Ahh you shouldn’t worry about the achievements list of other players it should only matter what you achieve for yourself.
  14. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Yeah, that's fine. And even for the guy that was selling them, the pick zone trick isn't quite as bad as taking advantage of the one zone reset from a patch each month. But, of course, that still brings up the question of why have supplies limited to 1000 in the first place, if they are going to be on the vendor at all? Especially knowing that the people that care are likely to buy the whole stack at once as soon as they see it available? HQ ore at least has a relatively easy way of being restocked and multiple vendors.

There are a lot of design decisions over the last few years that I really don't get the thinking behind them. Some are small, like this thing with the foraging, others are larger issues, and some just seemed sloppy. I'll stop now, or I'll just get further worked up. :mad:
    Svann2 and Tatanka like this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I love how some people think they have a right to tell others how they "should" be playing the game.

I am against disrupting the gameplay of others unfairly but seriously, get a freaking grip, who the heck does it hurt on a live server if someone is wiping out an entire zone & they are the only player in it?
    That's a problem that only exists in your head.
    Viper1, Tatanka, Alena and 2 others like this.
  16. Viper1 Augur

Not to derail, but you absolutely do not need any sort of banned software to setup a forage bot.

As for the OP, naw, leave it as is.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Skuz and Viper1 like this.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

Not sure why the supply was limited like this.
    As for those that buy them, they're cheap.
    So it becomes a bag space thing.
    1 lime takes as much bag space as 1000 limes, so why not buy them all and not have to try to find a freshly popped zone in the future.
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

I believe when the OP is talking about the value, they are talking about the ACH points, which have no value if someone else is doing the work. Not the physical rewards that go along with the completion of the ACH which definitely have value.

To OP, it's not accurate to say they (hunter) have become of little value, because hunter has always worked this way.
  20. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Any sort of unattended gameplay is against the rules, so I'm not seeing how a forage bot wouldn't violate the rules somehow. (Even if Tatanka's trick didn't violate laws of physics to keep going indefinitely, it would violate the EULA, right?)

I will agree that the topic of the original post is a not a significant problem, for reasons I already stated.