Future plans of EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Repj, May 24, 2021.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I always thought krono were just an unique ID on the server, that used old-fasioned transactions? You don't really need blockchain tech to implement that.

NFT only makes sense if the data is stored on the client rather than a central server, afaik.
  2. Repj Journeyman

lol just sounds like people fishing to see or understand someones thoughts on NFT but the games he announced were just ignore that and focus on the 3 lettes he said
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The newer games uses NFT because they want to support a decentralized market, and where ownership is still verifiable. Im not sure why that is desired for EQ? None of us "own" our characters anyway...we have a license to play on their server, thats it...
    Ulrin and Skuz like this.
  4. Repj Journeyman

OMG it wasnt about the damn NFT..... i want them to look at the ARTIST! I'm sick of killing the same mob just different color or not having a house that supports my character unless its just trophies
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

What artist, now Im confused? :confused:

are you talking about player-studio and ornaments/housing stuff?

I am not opposed to them reopening the player-studio. My only worry is that user-created content can get TOO fancy, where it doesn't really fit into the visual style of the game.
    I already think half of the mounts looks out of place...
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Artist? Are you talking about player studio and player submitted items?
  7. Repj Journeyman

It was supposed to be about getting the artist and make 2 worlds happy. I guess everyone thinks all forms of ERC are hackable. I know they will bring back the studio to EQ its why its page is still being paid for on EQ. I'm just wondering when
  8. Jyve Augur

KoboldKoins?
  9. Repj Journeyman

NorrathianCoin is better
  10. Repj Journeyman

off topic, why would BoA buy 50 patents in this field if they were just going to disappear?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think anyone understands what you mean by artists in this thread.
    Jumbur likes this.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Who is BoA?

And just because a technology has a use, does not necessarily mean it is needed in Everquest...
    Nennius likes this.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Bank of America?

That big snake in Anaconda? It was really his stand in cause a boa is not an anaconda
  14. Repj Journeyman

yeah, i'm understanding that but was the second post a little clearer?
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You want to reboot the player studio where end users can submit(the devs will then approve it) assets for the game?

Sounds a bit like Landmark, I know a few games where there is a great modding community, but the modded content is free for those games. The reason why this isn't usually done commercially(afaik) is probably a question of contract fees or licenses or laws about free Labour or something like that?

And you were thinking that the new NFT technology could change that?:confused:

I honestly have no clue if that is possible to setup. I think a paradigm-shift in employment is needed for that.
    Having every player as a "freelance-contractor" is probably not feasible when the player-base is spread around the world.

I would personally love to fiddle around with the zone editor, but Im far from skilled enough to make something of professional quality. :)
    Getting good at something like that probably takes quite a bit of training...

Tbh, I think Darkpaw is already doing a great job with their expansions. :cool:
    Ulrin and Repj like this.
  16. Angahran Augur

Anything that allows those with more real life disposable income to benefit in game is BAD!
    We don't want EQ to become just one more pay-to-win game.
    Skuz and Jumbur like this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think the idea was to out-source content-creation through player-studio, not entirely sure where NFT fit in though? but I don't think it was about pay-to-win.

A downside to player-created content, is that the game might lack a tight art-direction, if too many people with limited communication with the devs, create a lot of content.
    It could end up lacking coherency and consistency, even if the individual assets were well made. An expansion needs a carefully planned storyline and all the zones need to fit together. Ornaments needs to follow a certain theme, etc.

Of course, it could work if the scope was just to create housing furniture and other cosmetic "fluff", that wasn't tied to anything specific.
    The player studio was afaik not a failure. why was it closed down in the first place? :confused:
    Ulrin and Repj like this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Van Gogh, Michelangelo (not the Turtle) Prince & Salvador Dali are all doing burpees in their grave right about now wondering wtf this guy is even trying to get at.

I vaguely recall a small reference to Player Studio was mentioned in some stream I watched, where a dev said that they found the process involved in making Player Studio designed assets useable by the EQ & EQ II games was not a quick enough or too difficult to streamline thing or something along those lines but it was kind of vague, the upshot being they wanted to stop it & focus on in-house asset creation going forward.

Player Studio was supposedly going to be revived only 3 months prior to being closed for EQ & EQ II but that was from a March 25 2019 post by Nick Silva who at the time was Planetside 2 Producer, it is right now only active for Planetside 2.

NO reasons for its closure in EQ & EQII were ever given as part of any official statement, but it is time to move on.

[IMG]
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Oh well. :(
    I had no idea it was such a hassle to manage from the "dev-side".

Hopefully, it will mean they can spend more time on expansions/fixes/improvements.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. raider New Member

The game has had the exact same model for 22 years, here is a hint, the model isn't going to change.

Big institutions file for patents all day long. We have a team of 12 people who literarily do that all day.

The NFT craze will come and go, people are tiring to make it work.