Mischief/Thornblade: Give us Accurate Server Population Count for the First Month

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, May 25, 2021.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I would like the esteemed developers at DarkPaw Games to please consider giving players who decide to play on Mischief or Thornblade accurate and current server population numbers for the first month.

Why is this needed?

Everyone is different. Some players like croweded servers, others like non-crowded servers all for various reasons. Some players like to group, some like to solo. The number of players on a server can impact the quality of the person's play experience. Knowing the exact server population and being able to compare it from Mischief vs. Thornblade or Thornblade vs. Mischief is invaluable.

Many players will be facing long queues to log on and not all players will be creating their characters on the first day or even the first week. With accurate current population numbers for each of the two servers, All Access Pass subscribers would be able to make an informed and intelligent consumer choice about what server they would like to play on.

Not all players are from the United States nor do all players play at conventional hours of the day. New players need to be able to figure out what kind of population they can expect to encounter on their new server for different times of the day.

I don't see any downside to this kind of server population transparency. They could have this feature in temporarily for at least the first month or perhaps a few more months.

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this idea.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  2. Kylo Classic Augur

no
    Skuz and Abrhum like this.
  3. MMOer Augur

It takes like 5 minutes to run a /who and get a count and punch it into a spread sheet.... that's doing it manually. Im sure someone much have a macro or something out there to help.

I normally do this just for myself to see class break downs. Sure some are anon but the stats are pretty solid regardless.
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casualâ„¢

Population cap for a /general channel is what, 400?

Type /list
    Count how many /general channels there are
    subtract 1 (the one you're in)
    Multiply that number by 400
    Add the population of YOUR /general channel

= rough population number

True, not everybody stays in the chat channels. It's a rough calculation.
    Ulrin and Brontus like this.
  5. Abrhum Journeyman

The worst possible, but most realistic response you'll get. No punctuation noted.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

[IMG]
    Ulrin and Abrhum like this.
  7. Lejaun Augur

Try to log into Mischief. "Your queue waiting time is approximately 4 hours, 24 minutes."
    Try to log into Thornblade. "Your queue waiting time is approximately 31 minutes."

Play on Thornblade. Easy.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  8. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Thanks for your thoughtful contribution to this discussion. Your logic was masterful. Thanks to your dazzling eloquence, I really understand your perspective better now. I'm looking forward to reading more from you in the future.

Have you every considered a career as a writer? You could call your first book "No." Every chapter could have only one word: no. I think you'd be on the TL;DR Amazon bestseller list too. I believe in you and I have great hopes for you! :)
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I have a question for you: what is a live server player doing commenting on a TLP issue? You bored bro?

P.S. Your cat looks malnourished and cranky. You really don't have to eat her food, you can probably qualify for food stamps and get an EBT card.
    Magician9001 likes this.
  10. MMOer Augur

someone trying to push players away from the server they want lool
  11. Brontus EQ Player Activist

In the real world, people usually give reasons for what they believe. Maybe it's laziness or a lack of intelligence, but I haven't heard one single rational reason why this is a bad idea.

Perhaps EQ players just love things the way there are. But then again, Mischief is popular because they are doing things different and challenging the status quote, so there's some cognitive dissonance at play here. No doubt, the very same naysayers would have said a resounding "NO" to the idea of not having NO DROP loot if a non-dev would have presented it a few months ago.

To be honest, I was hoping for a rational response from a DarkPaw developer not a sad, jaded forum troll like the Dr. No.

But hope burns eternal!
  12. ScottAdamsFan14 New Member

chill boomer it'll all be fine :)
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I have been a TLP player since 2015 and only stopped being one last week when CoV unlocked on Phinigel, besides that point who are you to question why anyone is posting on a TLP thread?

Plenty of EverQuest players play on both live & TLP so have a broad perspective.

Posting on a forum invites opinions to be shared, that means accepting some players will not agree with you, a concept you appear to be uncomfortable with.

The cat in the picture was famous, but it is dead now and was very well cared for before its passing.
    Ulrin and KimchiGoddess like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Maybe you are new here, Daybreak has always been hugely secretive about player numbers except for a few notable exceptions.

1. When they reached their highest ever number of concurrent users (as in most amount of players online at the same time).
    2. When Holly said during an interview for "The EverQuest Show" that the numbers of TLP players vs Live players was roughly 50/50
    3. When EG7 purchased DayBreak Gaming Company they released an investor presentation that showed the Monthly Active Users (82K) and subscribed accounts (62K) as of September 2020.

As for actual server numbers, forget it, DayBreak have never done that & they've been asked about it a few thousand times before and dozens of players have done their own "surveys" over the past 22 years, all they did was the Low-Mid-High indicators on the server status page.

So people are just telling you it won't happen now, unless of course you think you are that 1 special-snowflake player who can change their minds after 22 years....
    Tour and KimchiGoddess like this.
  15. Lejaun Augur

I could give a *censored*. We all know Mischief will have most of the players, including myself. Even if I convinced someone to go to Thornblade, there will be thousands I don't.
  16. Captain Video Augur

With all due respect, nobody knows how popular these new servers will be until after they launch. Every TLP cycle has experienced a big spike in interest over the first couple of weeks, and then things settle down. Players will be posting numbers based on the polling methods described above, so watch for them.

Devs will never respond to this question, they never have before in any of the dozens of times it has been asked. We might have expected to see something from the Community Manager... but oh wait... EQ doesn't actually have a CM at the moment, since Dreamweaver just left the company.

My suggestion: roll a toon, login, play, have fun. If the login queues are long, pick a different time of day, or wait a week. Such is the nature of a TLP launch here.
  17. Nolrog Augur

It's not. Interesting, nice to see, but needed? Nope.
  18. Polekn Augur

I agree with what you said except the number at the end, it is more like 19 years ago that they decided to keep the number of players a secret.

In 1999/2000 they actually displayed a number of logged in users on every server in the server select screen. And until late Luclin you could use a command "/who all count" which returned total number of people on server.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'd forgotten that I must admit.
  20. WokeCat Augur

I would be more interested in seeing class representation... so we can clearly see how balanced Monks and Enchanters are.