Remove code that disconnects for pressing the same key

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, May 24, 2021.

1. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Hmmm in the past, when I have set up multiple characters, it's been on live servers, so I just ran them off the same computer and on the same monitor, tabbing between. But I always have a heal on the same hotbar button, and a HoT on the same hotbar button, Sit on the same... I do it for muscle memory, so I can tab and quickly hit the correct button when I need to. I'm considering running a second account on Mischief, so I may have to rethink how I do that to avoid getting disconnected for playing by the rules they have in place.
  2. Yteran Lorekeeper

Just don't press buttons at exactly the same time on two characters connected from the same IP address.

The ironic thing about it is that they implemented it to stop key broadcasting, but basically all methods of key broadcasting can insert delays between each keystroke. In contrast, you can have one hand on two keyboards pressing keys at exactly the same time...and get 'trueboxed.' Which is technically what truebox is enforcing in the first place...having two keyboards.
    Riou and Accipiter like this.
  3. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Once upon a time, I might have been capable of pressing keys on separate keyboards at the same time. Sadly, age has caught up with me, so I doubt I could even if I wanted to do so. No, I won't be pressing keys at the same time. Both keyboards won't even be in front of me, one will be to the side. It may turn out to be a non-issue for me, if it IS a problem, I guess I'll have to find a way to work around it, put stuff on different hotbar buttons as was suggested above.
  4. samenye Lorekeeper

The Alt-, Shift-, Ctrl- remap approach sounds sensible for multiple real players sharing an IP.

/xtar is way faster than /tar for anyone with latency but watch out for slow updates of the xtar window if trying to acquire assist targets...you can't win there.

It's one reason to add /tell commands to your macros if you can to confirm the target.
  5. Nolrog Augur

The only time I ever had this issue was when I was spamming a language using the same hot key number on 2 different computers. I have never had this issue while playing normally.
  6. Nickatropolis Augur

My latency goes up and down bad. Probably spotty wifi or comcast cable has just gone down hill. Between latency issues and fizzles; my macroing is about 80% effective which is good enough for me, but button mashing is a side effect.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EQ over Wi-Fi is just bad, can be great for months then crap out for no damn reason whatsoever, use an ethernet cabled connection.

Also a couple things can help with having lag issues, connectivity or responsiveness problems.

Reduce settings that are memory dependent, i.e. use stream textures, less frequent sky updates.
    Make sure your PC clock is synced frequently (like before each play session) using pool.ntp.org not time.windows.com
    Power cycle your router and modem daily (turn it off, wait 60 seconds restart it).
    Check your PC's ethernet card has recent drivers
    Switch off unnecessary background tasks - I use https://www.pcgameboost.com/index.php to do that.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  8. Xondor Lorekeeper

Thank you for the reminder. I got dc'd multiple times on Aradune before I figured out wtf was happening. Hammering my heal button on my box and nuke button on my main (which were the same key) would dc me and then sit in the server queue for a couple hours again. It was infuriating.
  9. Nickatropolis Augur

I am currently using a near 5 star amazon product that plugs into a 120V wall outlet and becomes an extended range repeater for your wifi. It has an ethernet cable port which I use to have a "hardwire" connection. Not sure how good it is, I feel like my connection has improved a little bit since being on pure wifi from the router on the side of the house. I had to quit competitively playing First Person Shooters because my internet is so inconsistent, and play a more pedestrian game like EQ.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

In my old apartment I had a similar problem, eventually I had the internet company come out and install a secondary internet connection, solved like 90% of the problems I had using wi-fi or internet over power-cable solutions but it wasn't cheap.

Could just be a poor internet connection supplied to your home by your provider though, which if you are USA based I know can be a real issue if you aren't in or near a major city as rural connections are generally quite poor.
  11. Kywen Augur

For me the problem of disconnects was caused by having multibinds on my computers, meaning multiple commands linked to one key. I had made these far in the past to skill up Sense Heading, Forage, Tracking, etc. by linking those skills to my movement keys.

Going to Options --> Keys and selecting Category: All will bring up the list of all your commands. Just scroll through and make sure none of the commands are red, indicating multiple keys are mapped, and delete if necessary. Eliminating these on my box computer stopped my constant disconnects on so-called TrueBox servers.

As usual, when I went to these forums seeking help, people accused me of cheating, told me to stop mashing keys, and suggested I go play WoW or "suck it up." The same type of unhelpful posts in this thread. I still hate TrueBox though, and wish they would get rid of it in later expansions.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

I remember rage quitting once on agnarr because I couldn't stay logged in long enough to do anything. There is some code that progressively makes you more sensitive to being trueboxed. Its brutal and this was done with 1 numpad and a laptop.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

Keep in mind that the macro blocks the main input thread while it runs. If you have /pause that add up to 10 seconds, for example, then you won't be able to type anything during that time. The only thing that stops a macro is your "stop action" key. I have mine bound to D because we used to have to duck to stop casting.
    Nickatropolis likes this.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Right, and that's exactly what happens with multiple computers, too. You could get some $20 wireless numpads to keep it compact, though.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL
  16. Vicus Augur

The whole dont mash keys I would whole heartily agree with for one simple truth, you CAN'T use the ingame macro system on truebox and that is BS I don't care how you package it.

Simple example:

My wife plays a cleric. On live for years she used a basic in-game macro that had tied in a Light spell followed by a quick heal spell that had a longer cooldown. The macro was simple, if the quick heal was available it would cast it first, if it didn't it would cast the light spell. With Truebox this simple macro that was allowable for 15+ years triggers their stupid Truebox program and disconnects her from the game.

Won't touch Truebox after that because while she can push the buttons manually no one wants to stare at the UI the entire fight or wait for a Gina trigger. We "might" put up with it if Truebox worked for it's intended purposes but watching 12+ characters run past you casting/attacking in unison while 1 person can even use the supplied in-game macro system is just rewarded the devs for a fail system.

Rizlona on the other hand is the perfect server so thanks the devs for doing that right.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

To each his own, but once I'm set up I rarely look at my boxes.
  18. Vlahkmaak Augur

I have never had an issue with this and run social commands/macros using the ingame ui feature for my shaman, warrior, and bard all the time. Really figure this to be more of an urban myth, a personal pc/connectivity issue, or an attempt to bypass something one should not be bypassing issue; or really, really terribad luck.
  19. Zinkeh Augur

When I joined Aradune I had no idea this was a thing. I had decided to try 2 boxing for the first time ever and could not for the life of me figure out why my 2nd account kept getting disconnected lol..
  20. Vlahkmaak Augur

As long as the second account is on a second pc/lap top you are fine. Alternatively I believe you can chrome cast from a second pc/lap top to one of your main PC screens but have not tried that as I prefer my shammy to my left so I can just press heal/dps/canni macros as needed.