Remove code that disconnects for pressing the same key

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by coltongrundy, May 24, 2021.

1. coltongrundy Augur

Seriously, remove the code that disconnects people that are true boxing if they press the same key on both machines.

I know why you're doing it, but you are not solving the problem that you think you're solving. You're actually just creating a new problem that can most easily be solved by people doing the thing very thing that you're trying to prevent in the first place.

Your intent is to prevent people from broadcasting key strokes to multiple computers with a single press. However, you all at daybreak/darkpaw are very bad at everything that you do. You are falsely detect this even when people are actually manually pressing keys on 2 different computers and disconnect them.

When this happens, the easiest solution is then for someone to actually use some piece of software that broadcasts key strokes to other computers but automatically changes the key that is pressed with some amount of delay so they can't accidentally d/c themselves.

By trying to prevent the use of this kind of software, you're actually making the use of this software the most viable way to truebox because you are so bad at detecting when people are doing it.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  2. Lateryn Augur

Don't spam your keys. And it still catches the morons that have no clue its there and broadcast. You think its well known, but these forums are a small % of players.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. coltongrundy Augur

Anyone who can figure out how to setup something to broadcast keystrokes to other PCs, knows how to alter those key presses.

This only "catches" people who are not breaking the rules, and makes breaking the rules the only way to not get "caught" by it.

And by defending it, you're saying want to the cheaters to continue to get away with it, while people who are not cheating are punished for something they're not even doing. That's gross.
  4. Nickatropolis Augur

or just stop pressing the same button. you could easily macro your boxes to do what you want on different buttons and press those specific buttons just as easily as you could press the same button, unless of course, you are broadcasting....
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Xzugh like this.
  5. coltongrundy Augur

No, I'm not, but I should. If I did I wouldn't be having this problem.
  6. Nickatropolis Augur

Whatever you can do to not be disconnected, I recommend you do that.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

[IMG]
    Dythan likes this.
  8. Numiko Augur

I've never known why people think they need to mash keys in EQ ..

EQ is a very pedestrian game, nothing especially in the first few expansions requires you to hit keys on every one of your computers all at once in order to beat the content.

I've 4 boxed on phinny for going on 5 years now and never got disconnected once the entire time.
    Bardy McFly, Skuz, Dythan and 2 others like this.
  9. Nickatropolis Augur

I find myself mashing keys, because macros tend not to listen sometimes, and it takes 5 or 6 presses in a row for my toon to execute its macro right. but never on the same computer and I only 2 box.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  10. Nickatropolis Augur

Hell, frequently it fails entirely and I have to grab the controls and do everything manually for that pull.
  11. ForumBoss Augur

After a certain expansion you pretty much need to set up multibinds to play most classes effectively, which will certainly true box you.

Sure, early in eq, you can get by hitting only a couple buttons, but if you have multiple humans playing eq in the household, true box will rear its ugly head.
  12. Nickatropolis Augur

For sure, the complexity in skill and ability in the modern end game is mind boggling, and I've never played that far. Highest level toon I have is a 78 necro on FV. Most of my experience has been on these TLP's these recent 5-6 years.
  13. Numiko Augur

As long as its properly coded a macro should never fail to fire off.
    I have not had one fail to work on first key stroke.. ever.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

So use different keybinds.

Player 1 - mash key set to 3

Player 2 - mash key set to 5

Player 3 - mash key set to 7

That said nobody is going to be mash key spamming on 3-6 characters, while it is less efficient a set of well composed macros is going to get the job done for a boxer.

I 3 box & use a mash key setup for my main but social macros on the "support" boxes (Shaman & Bard) get everything done really easily.

And in my book if you are using more than 1 player that "must" mash you're going to very quickly revert to third party program help.
  15. Nickatropolis Augur

im sure mine are poorly written. they work about 80 percent of the time. I think my problem is fizzles and pause times slow me down, because the macro won't refire until it gets through its pause time after a fizzle.
  16. Nickatropolis Augur

I also have macros that sometimes don't start working until the second or third command of the macro. again probably poorly written on my part.
  17. Demetri Augur

Little trick I've learned is "effectively" using different keys per machine with modifier keys and just getting the appropriate modifiers stuck on per machine.

I e. My wife will use 1-10, I'll use Ctl 1-10, box1 shift1-10, box2 alt1-10, etc.

While it was annoying to setup, not had a single truebox since.

Even WITH multiple mash keys being used at once.
  18. Polpet Elder

I 6box by Hand. Just use different connections. Im using 5 simcards - Problem solved
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

How could they say "no" when you include such sweet honey in your post to tempt them.
    Nickatropolis, Tweakfour17 and Skuz like this.
  20. Yteran Lorekeeper

In my experience this is related to latency problems. At least it is for me.

My latency is 'normal' around 50ms for maybe 8 hours between 1am and 9am. Then it will fluctuate between normal and 350 the rest of the time. Any macro I set up has to have things like /pause 5 before a spell cast after /target or /assist (otherwise the client doesn't acquire the target in time for the cast.) For people on really low latency connections, they can probably get away with /pause 1.

/xtar in contrast is instantaneous since it uses client information to acquire the target and doesn't have to communicate with the server. if you are on live or on tlps past level 20, using it instead might be worth trying.