As per usual, boxers treated like 2nd class citizens

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Xanadas, May 24, 2021.

1. Lejaun Augur

Cheap computers are available if the server means so much to you to join. Otherwise, go to Rizlona. Its only in PoP as others have mentioned.
  2. mark Augur

on ragefire i actually had 12 accounts with lvl 72 to 88 earlier these month when i canceled 10 of the accounts dont like hot ,i have 6 boxed on 6pc never again did not enjoy the game.i have 2 pc set up to play eq each can and has run in the past 12 accounts i only use isoboxer where its allowed,looking forward to the launch even if playing 2 accounts ,12 would have been better and more fun and i dont play usa time exept raiding i play after raids since its afternoon here,and i did play on rizlona for the first 3 expansions. since i am retired i have lots of time to play eq.
  3. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Do you expect them to release a non-Truebox server every year to keep up with that? It's just not realistic. As much as you don't like Truebox, it brings in people, brings them back, keeps them interested. TLP jumpers don't want to be surrounded by boxers, it doesn't feel classic to them. You can accept that, or keep butting your head against the wall.

Wars have been fought over less contentious statements than this...
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Dmitry Elder

Boxing destroyed the game. Look at the server pop drops once no one groups... say GoD.... those servers have like nine people on them. Destroy all boxers by going back in time and killing their grandfathers.
    Celestian likes this.
  5. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

And server population drop in the low levels spawned boxing. It's like a self-fulfilling prophesy.
  6. Dmitry Elder

I agree with that. And the actual pop drop is because a lot of people don't like or are bad at boxing.
  7. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

And in recent years pop drop can be directly attributed to a new TLP every year.
  8. Xanadas Augur

To the people that don't know what I'm talking about - have you been living under a rock for the last month? There are 2 new servers launching tomorrow. Both truebox. There are plenty of people who want to play one character at a time and don't mind playing with boxers. The second server should have been boxable.

Whatever though, there are multiple ways around the truebox restrictions and you can expect to see plenty of 6-12 boxers on these servers and you can guarantee they aren't using multiple computers.

Enjoy funding RMT mass boxers, solo players!
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is utter & complete revisionist bollards.

Boxing was going on very early on in EQ, as the live servers aged and players got wary after many experiences of bad PuG's they became less & less inclined towards grouping with random strangers & more inclined towards grouping only with guild mates.

Server populations were climbing right up until the launch of Gates of Discord but dropped some when WoW entered open Beta and then fell off a damn cliff when it launched, after already losing a chunk to EQ players trying out EQ2.

Some came back later of course but that GoD/WoW/EQ2 confluence was responsible for a very large drop of players, it didn't help that GoD was so problematic at launch that it led to entire guilds quitting in protest at the poor quality of GoD (the devs then completely re-tuned GoD working a f**kton of Overtime in the process) SoE also held a huge Player Summit, they also scrapped the work on OoW that they had done up to that point & started from scratch. That summit was fundamental for many changes in EQ.
    One of the big reasons players left during GoD, aside from the above reasons was that GoD was a huge departure in content style, up until that point EQ had been very firmly rooted in traditional Dungeons & Dragons type lore and GoD was completely alien & unfamiliar to the players at that time.

Boxing became a necessity for many people to continue playing, the one client per machine restriction was lifted sometime around DoDH and that saw a large growth in boxing.
    However numbers continued to drop so much even after that 2004 episode & the DoDH change to client restriction that by SoD mercs were created to help stem the bleed-off of non-boxers. That level 70 range for four expansions was another reason for many player losses, they simply got bored of being stuck at 70. The re-invigoration of EQ started really with TSS.

Boxing did not cause player attrition, it was mostly a reaction to it and on TLP not being able to box in the Post-PoP era causes faster losses of players than being able to which is why Truebox gets asked to be turned off & has been asked to be turned off for EVERY mature TLP thus far (Phinigel, Agnarr, Coirnav) and Miragul - which should never have had Truebox to begin with as it started at 85.

Now you're just being stupid.
  10. Vlahkmaak Augur

Boxing has been around since day 1.
  11. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Wait, tomorrow tomorrow, or Thursday tomorrow?
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

The second server literally only exists because they felt the first one might be more popular than it's technical limitations would allow for, causing crashes and horribly long queue times. Making the second server a different ruleset would stop them from being able to merge it later, and stop some people from flowing over to it. Basically invalidating it's entire purpose.

I honestly don't care if they release a boxing TLP next year, and a boxing overflow server, and/or whatever. This year's plan doesn't allow for a boxing server, and that is fine.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. xmPradah Not a dude

No matter how you look at it, prohibiting boxing cuts into Daybreak's bottom line. Truebox only provides a deceptively "safe" server for those who are against boxing.
    Providing a non-TB TLP server allows DBG to increase their revenue without really impacting those who are so adamantly against it - they have plenty of other server options available to them, whereas boxers do not. And, believe it or not, Rizlona is not riddled with a bunch of RMTing, camp monopolizing players. The player community is healthy, engaged, and helpful.
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

So they announced a Truebox server, and it turned out to be so blazingly popular that they had to commit to launching the overflow server simultaneously, but that's cutting into their bottom line? People are saying they will leave Rizlona for this server, despite it being Truebox, but it's cutting into their bottom line? Sure some of those will cancel some accounts, and some of them will reactivate those accounts when they go back to Rizlona in a month.

They don't need a boxing version of every new TLP.
  15. xmPradah Not a dude

I'm sorry - did I somehow that imply that every iteration of a new TLP needs a boxing equivalent? No, I did not. That was someone else. I stated that providing a boxing TLP increases their revenue, has no impact on those who oppose it, and that true box is "deceptively" safe.
    I know some of the people leaving Riz for the new server - it has more to do with the random loot/free trade, than the boxing rule set for most people.
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I thought your comment implied that, yes. You said that prohibiting boxing cuts into their bottom line, essentially conveying that they should never do Truebox, or at least always offer an alternative to the Truebox server.

I think everybody would agree with that. They want the shiny new thing, nothing wrong with that. But they want it more than the shiny new thing they got last year that was tailored to them specifically. Rizlona isn't just non-Truebox, it's "use all those fun tools" enabled, specifically because boxers wanted that. In the end that wasn't enough to keep them there. Though to be fair, the end is a ways off, I won't be even a little surprised if boxers decide they prefer Rizlona to Mischief and go back once the newness of free-trade loot wears off. Being able to buy raid loot is cool, but is it cooler than boxing any content you want? Maybe, and we're going to find out.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. xmPradah Not a dude

I think it's also fair to say, any new TLPs will hit the server pop of previous TLPs any time they are released - it doesn't really matter whether it's true box or not. Every year, this conversation starts over... people complain about how server pop take a dive once GoD hits, people complain that "cheaters" are ruining their true box experience (hence, "deceptively" safe"), the list is endless... but it's almost always the fault of the boxing community, and obviously our grandfathers need to be killed.
    The fact that DBG keeps releasing new TLPs will keep their bottom line healthy enough - they are smart to do this because so many like and are familiar with the early content. My gripe with the whole argument is how so many people fail to acknowledge how boxing is in the best interest of the company's revenue - and keeps a niche group of players roped off and happy (the non-RMT boxing crowd).
    The cheaters don't want to waste time on a server where they are allowed - there's no gain when everyone is allowed to do what you're already doing. I think Riz players are also significantly less tolerant of those who try to stretch the liberties already afforded to us. Too many of us can do for ourselves without paying for loot, or have relationships within our guilds (or between guilds) who are more than happy to help.
  18. Roleplay Here Journeyman

Box armies don't purchase anything from DPG. Box army controllers have cheat programs that allow someone control large numbers of characters on a single computer with ease, which in turn allows them to acquire pixels to barter for Krono. DPG seems more interested in tailoring to people that actually spend real money in microtransactions than people who try to use third party software to pay rent.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Truebox doesn't stop all the mass boxers, but it does stop the ones who aren't hardcore VM spamming, VPN using, crazy people. People don't want to admit that, but it's true. There are plenty of people who flock to these servers that don't want to see groups of 6/12/18 on auto-follow running around where they are playing. Most of that is solved by Truebox, it's not perfect, but it does work.

In the end we don't know how it would work out financially. If they get a bunch of boxers to sub, but lose a bunch more single/double account players, it could be a wash. They have the numbers, maybe they look at this, maybe they don't. Like I said, they can always make another boxing server next year. It seems like Mischief/Thornblade will do just fine without catering to boxers.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. FranktheBank Augur

Consuming Krono is still $$ for DPG.
    Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.