Future plans of EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Repj, May 24, 2021.

1. Repj Journeyman

I'm dying to know if Everquest is planning to fix itself into crypto NFTs?

I would love to see this game keep going and live forever like we all hoped and dreamed but with it being insane for people to grp and stuff because nobody is doing the old stuff anymore or even helping people understand how to play their character the game is dwindling to non-existents. Its crazy because people have put so much time into their chars it would be nice that their children could find or be given these toons to pick up the game and keep going/understand what their love ones were doing for so many hours and enjoy what was started 20+ years ago.

Could the game still be amazing if the continuation of stats went into the housing market? Could get the NFT artist and people that want to design items again if we all shared because items dont have to be No trade/drop anymore. Daybreak could slowly build EQ back up and everyone could make a little bit of cash while daybreak rebuilds its staff!
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This is a rambling and confusing mess of a post that doesn't have a grasp of the basic facts about the game and seems to be based upon some oddball EQ as an NFT premise.

First off, the chance that EverQuest, a game that is still in active development since it brings out an expansion each year & the studio head has said that the changes they are making are the company looking to secure it surviving for at least another ten years mean that it being shut & turned into some "current trend" thing like an NFT is unlikely - it is not like a static one-time finished work of art like a picture or youtube video it is constantly, in fact monthly, being altered. Conflating it with the NFT trend is bizarre and shows a lack of understanding about what NFT's are.

Secondly EverQuest is not dwindling as a whole, it has since 2015 been steadily growing its userbase and the TLP servers are clearly attracting not only current players but former players & even some new players to the game. That growth is however going to be limited and somewhat hamstrung by the way EQ focuses almost entirely on group & raid play and has absolutely no solo path through the game for players to get there by themselves.

And EQ is being re-invested in, we recently got a increase in the number of coders & developers on the team and I expect that to grow further - a big part of why EQ was stagnated on so many fronts was so much of the profit it generated was siphoned off to other games, since 2015 that mindset shifted at the company and they are now putting more of what EQ generates back into EQ, hopefully that shift is maintained and that allows EQ to grow in the way that it should have been doing all along.

A solution to the pernicious lag problems on raids, a new client (64 bit & DX 12), improved graphics (environments & models, including character models), an overhauled UI and improved pathing systems are the technology improvements that the game will need to keep moving forwards.
    On the gaming side of it it for sure needs an increase in expansion size & content but I think it also needs to eventually look at creating a solo path through the game, initially at least from 65 onwards, this doesn't need to confer any of the perks & benefits of the group progression system but it needs to enable players to progress by themselves solo(molo) without having to depend upon being carried or power-levelled by guild mates.
    Fact is the group game is pretty solid now the raid game isn't terrible (lag problems aside) and the class-balance issues are just an ongoing work in progress that never gets finished anyway.
    The next step is expanding EQ to be able to get players from 1-max level efficiently and enjoyably that does not diminish the group game or the rewards from that but still allows players to make meaningful movement through the levels to catch up with their peers.
    There's a big audience out there that simply does not have the means or desire to be grouped for everything which EQ has almost been at pains to enforce more & more.
    Providing that path will open up the game to a much broader audience in a way the F2P also did and help bring in more revenue.
  3. The real Sandaormo Augur

The Solo path is called Overseers.
    nitrocutter likes this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Overseer is helpful to everyone, solo, grouper or raider but it is 100% passive so that's not a great active path.
    Ulrin and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

I don't understand the OP but i would like to use doge coins as an ingame currency
    Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.
  6. Repj Journeyman

Couldn't they do this if they split the stats now that armor as so much with its housing area?
    Giving the people that like designing that right since we do have a studio and I believe b4 people were making money if an item was sold in the marketplace. I just thought they could split the stats of items with housing items after someone finished designing it and it met the approve of the devs. Also, these artist could be used for newer mobs. I do have a hard time getting my thoughts across on paper so forgive but I do know what are NFTs. I was just interested in knowing if EQ was looking towards these people for further growth for the game.

Just was wondering because I didnt want EQ ever closing down. I wanted to design like one of those treasure hunt books for my family so, when I pass on.
  7. Repj Journeyman

its still hard to understand o_O sorry. Housing items could have stats like the trophies that give your character an extra boost does but this could stay perm and grow with the character like its armor so then they could make stated items for newer players and bring back attention to that area because they missed out on all the people that like making/placing stuff in their homes
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Dude, calm down with the run on sentences, please. You can't even keep to the same topic in your own thread.
    Coagagin likes this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You mean putting the power of a character into a house?
    That's already done via the Trophy system to a degree, I disagree with putting any more player power than that into the housing system, definitely not putting the stats gained from gear there.

Player studio is no longer active. The designs are still earning commission for past submissions that went to the marketplace but no items are being made like that now.

I disagree with your suggestion, stats on a player coming from housing is already done with the Trophy system, but I much prefer that development of your character involves a focus on improving that character directly, Trophies adding bonuses make a certain amount of sense since they are rewards for having gained achievements through the progression system and I do not see any reason for stats from housing being expanded beyond that system.

The bulks of stats come from gear and AA, and that's the core gameplay loop of EQ gaining power through gear upgrades, levels & AA, the Trophy system being a complimentary system rather than a core system of player power.

NFT's are a tech gimmick, I personally do not think they have any place being involved with this game. Time will tell if they fade away, burst like other tech bubbles or become a part of the bedrock of trading items of value, in either case I do not see them in EQ's future except maybe for art works based on EQ or created for EQ that exist outside of the game itself.
    Good article on some of the issues with NFT here - https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/30/tech/nft-hacking-theft-environment-concerns/index.html

Well it's been around 22 years and it is still the game that makes the most money for the game company running it, I don't think its going away any time soon so your worry is needless.
    As for your last sentence, I have no clue what you mean there, something you can pass onto your family when you die?
    Your account and password maybe are a treasure if they plan on playing your characters after you are gone.
  10. Repj Journeyman

Cant see NFTs going anywhere because gambling and tournaments are looking towards it and the huge never stopping gaming community like https://camelotunchained.com/v3/ and https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/hex-mmo-trading-card-game

Also what I mean by treasure hunt book is like The Forrest Fenn Treasure.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

People thought Myspace wasn't going anywhere, then Facebook happened.
    Betamax was better quality than VHS
    DAT lost to CD then CD lost to MP3

Blockchain will be superseded by something, at least it needs to be because the current blockchain is an unsustainable environmental disaster that provides no protection against theft, neither does NFT.

And "The Forrest Fenn Treasure" wtf?
    Are you trying to say that you want some player-made housing items in EQ to be the NFT equivalent of some Art-Dealers secret stash? Because if you are that sounds like the ravings of a foaming at the mouth madman.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I don't see NFT or blockchain having much use in a game like EQ. At best it could be used to to prevent dupe exploits, or to assist GMs when dealing with scams and rolling back individual trades in the EC-tunnel or something. Neither is a big problem in EQ currently and I think dev-time is better spent elsewhere.

Modelling gameplay after "trendy" techniques, often result in elements that are not truly well thought out.
    Every time a new technology is adapted into game development, the first 50 games are often "unfun" experiments.
    Anyone remember the whole "interactive movie" craze when cd-roms were new...? Most of them were rubbish. :(
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Repj Journeyman

i'm sorry I dont see the same things. I see NFTs being allowed in EV cars as you drive past a McDs or another store thats like 15mins away so u could put in your order or a supermarket so people driving could speak and pay while driving. Same with advertising in a car for an audio book or song so i could use my QR scanner to get the book I just heard advertising.

Its not like people can't rip your CC from while youre walking so i love the fact people have to bring up the thefts that happen because they happen in everything
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would you need a NFT to order from a store from your car? Or for ordering anything for that matter? Sounds like you are trying to use technology to solve problems it isn't designed to solve.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Repj Journeyman

Lawls, best thing ever!
  17. Repj Journeyman

because you could steal information. lol i love how all this got turned to talk about NFTs when I was just saying look at the artist for hiring
  18. KrakenReality Augur

I’m too dumb to understand NFTs other than there’s memes being auctioned off for millions of dollars.
  19. Repj Journeyman

I'm pretty sure the Krono is an NFT and u all been playing with it not thinking about it. Yet its so called dying
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You brought NFT into the conversation in the very first line of your original post so you got exactly what you asked for.