Time management, the need to ninja AFK.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vumad, May 23, 2021.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

This is not a question about the rules. We know it's against the rules to play AFK, and rude to ditch a group, etc. That's not this post. This is a time management question for people who might have to run at a moments notice.

Solo and boxing are ways we can manage time. We can log in, get something done an log out. That is why I box. I don't waste any time LFG, instead I LFM. More importantly, if something comes up, I can quickly gate and get things done without impacting a group. Note: I do often group and help people, but not all of my play time is flexible enough for that.

I mainly play ENC, MAG and CLR, but with gate failures hard coded into the game, I can't reliably gate. I can't campfire in combat and I don't have a druid or wizard. I can't FD. Even those options can fail. Eating a death is not a big deal, but leaving the client up and not getting a rez in 3 hours is a very big deal. Sometimes I feel like the best option is to /exit and eat a death.

So my question is, for people who's phone might ring and they have to immediately walk out the door, what (approved) tricks do you use to get out of the game at the drop of a hat? More often than not, in times where I would have to bail quick, I just play Xbox, but it would be nice to hear ideas to make EQ less commitment-y.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You could try to get a selection of fast-casting gate clickies for your crew(like the pok-gate from anniversary, or the gyrospire-gate). It won't eliminate gate failure, but it will minimize the probability that all of them fails. They might get scattered between different gate-destinations, but nothing you can't fix afterwards. You can also stock up on FD-potions or gate potions. or those summoned gate clickies("portal of bulwark" or something like that?) that mages can get from their cauldron(i think?).

If you can manage to finish your current fight, you can use an anchor-clicky to your guild/house.

But the the fastest and most reliable way is probably to include an actual evaccer in your crew, if you need to abort a fight immediately...

I have never tried not having an easy way out myself, as I don't box and my only char is a wizard...so there might be alternative solutions I don't know about...:confused:
  3. Spankage Elder

There's hardly a penalty at all for dying in EQ, if it's that important that you need to get up immediately...why mess with the game even just for a few seconds.

The only commitments in game are the ones that you, yourself, make.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The fastest way I close out in those situations it Ctrl - alt - delete and close all eq running. That way you "camp" out but if you die you are not on the in game rez timer but on the longer 7 day timer.

When you log back in you can choose to go there or choose home. If you died while you were ending tasks just run and rez your self.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Drunkard's Stein, without question. Never fails. 0.5 second cast time. Drops you in PoK.

No worries.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

Using key repeater software like J T C P Y F S (subtract 1) you can preset a social hot button that does:

/pause 1, /stopcast
    /pause 1, /useitem Drunkard's Stein
    /useitem Drunkard's Stein

...or without key repeating just put the social button in the same place on every character and just alt - tab quickly to each character and hit the associated keystroke to fire the button. I box 6 and I find that if you purposely make each character with an identical set of social buttons it's much easier to get things done for when the SHtF and you lose track of which character you're actually controlling.
    Vumad likes this.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

I just dont answer the door if I wasnt expecting anyone.
    Hegsheoshed, Nennius and minimind like this.
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

I play two accounts on the same computer without any inter-screen assistance. Sometimes life happens and I need to bail. I hit the drunkard stein on both characters in pretty quick succession and I'm out.
  9. Tyreel Augur

With classes that can all cast gate you could macro
    /pause 2, /stopcast
    /pause 55, /cast ## (for gate memed on spell bar)
    /pause 23, /alt act 1217
    /useitem Vial of Swirling Smoke

I made all the pauses slightly longer than 100% necessary to account for lag.

Vial of Swirling Smoke is sold in pok on Mirao Frostpouch for 1050 plat.
    That gives you 3 gate casts that would all have to fizzle before you end up eating deaths.
    minimind likes this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

Are you familiar with the concept of being on call? There's hardly a penalty for dying, unless you miss the 3 hour rez window. That's why I said /exit, eat the death and get a rez. I also talked about solo and boxing to eliminate in game commitments. I feel like maybe you didn't read my post with an open mind, or at all really.

Great advice. Exactly what I was looking for.

Edit: Dang, looks like it's anniversary stuff and I missed it.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And those darned kids still won't stay off my lawn.
  12. Kegwell Lurker since '99

Truebox yourself out
  13. shiftie Augur

Why not just use the anchors from the loyalty vendor and gate to guildhall ? Having played a class who cannot gate for the entirety of eq this seems like you are over thinking the problem. Shot of that beza click and /ex
  14. Metanis Bad Company

Just add a line or two for Bulwark of Many Portals! (Although I can't remember if it will work if you have a Bulwark with zero charges in a higher slot than other charged ones!)
  15. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Bulwarks are treated like potions. If you have more than one, a hotkey for the bulwark will just add up the charges you have available. So it should not make a difference if you have one with zero charges in a higher slot on you ... it will just use the next available charge.
  16. Conq Augur

When I'm boxing and have to run, I hit primary or secondary anchors on everyone. Never fizzles/collapses.
    Conq
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Svann2 likes this.
  18. Lisard Silly

19. Yteran Lorekeeper

I suggest swapping your mage out for a wizard. Pretty sure they get an instant AA evac as well as a group teleport to bind AA.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

port to nexus aa I think is instant or close to it