Desired Classes at Max?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Alloutvol#54, May 22, 2021.

1. Alloutvol#54 New Member

After going through multiple TLPs, I'm tired of the same grind every time. As such, Im really excited to finally level someone to max.

With that said, I know the game is VERY different compared to the TLPs through PoP - which I've never played past.

Are there any particularly desirable (Or not desirable) classes to play? Right now I'm looking for classes that aren't complex or have a lot of group group responsibility, since I'm accepting I will be a noob for a while. From a role perspective, I'm happy with any role.

I'm fine boxing 2 toons but dont want to create a huge group or anything.

Really appreciate any insight people may have for a "noob friendly" but still desirable first toon to current day everquest :)
  2. Conq Augur

Raiding or not? If you aspire to raid at max level, you'd be most desirable as a bard. I dare say, every raid guild would take one more bard.
    Conq
    code-zero likes this.
  3. bomodo New Member

a good shaman can do great , raiding or group game.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Most desirable classes will vary by server and by guild so there's a fair bit of room to choose usually.

I think Bard is easily the one most raid guilds will take more of since they can boost the dps of any raid group or help a tank group be stronger & have better healing.

After that probably some variation (not necessarily prioritized in this order) of Druid, Paladin, Wizard & Enchanter.

Best thing to do is to speak to the officers of the guild's you would like to raid with and ask what classes they are looking for or which they struggle to find enough of & go from there, some may even take you pre-raiding preparedness & help you get in shape.

The number one thing you need is the ability to listen, to take criticism and to ask questions when you are not sure you understand something - that will go a long way even if you lack in experience.
  5. Alloutvol#54 New Member

Thanks for all of the feedback! Bards definitely sound like the majority.

My primary concern is that (at least on later TLPs) Bards are mostly pullers. Do you think having a newer player in that role will be a problem?
  6. Conq Augur

Pulling is a lost art. Some of that is game design, some is players who never learned to pull. You would not be the only level 115 bard who didn't know how to pull - whether fade splitting, gate splitting, mez splitting, lulling, charming or pathing/lag splitting. For the most part at 115, tanks pull for the group - because tanks are beefy enough to do it and tanking 2-5 mobs is the norm (mostly). The only thing that will ruin you as a bard in any group or raid or guild is rolling in with no epic...
    Conq
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

People say bard because there are not a lot of bards. It's much easier to get a guild as a weak bard than as a weak tank. It much easier to guild as an exceptional tank than as a weak bard.

Being a new player is not a problem for any class. A guild would rather a great rogue than a trash bard. Pick a class you love and be exceptional at it. You'll be fine. Just believe in yourself. Identify people better than you and ask for help. Someday soon people will be asking you.

As for 2-boxing. You need tank, healer, support and DPS. As long as those are covered, then you are good. Mercs can tank, heal and DPS, but they can not pull, slow, CC, etc. So make sure you have the major group roles covered and you are good. Bard covers everything a merc does not, so you're gold. If you decide to main a rogue, box a SHM, ENC, BST or something that adds utility to your box group.

There are not a lot of bards because it is a hard class to play well. There is always a shortage of clerics because it's a demanding but yet not very enjoyable class. There is a reason high demand classes are in high demand.
  8. Tucoh Augur

If you're interested in raiding, scan the raid guilds on the server you want to roll on to see what their class needs are. They might change by the time you're ready to raid but if the several raiding guilds on a server like Xegony or Bristlebane all need bards, chances are at least one of them will need bards in a year. You can also reach out to them and talk to them about it, but keep in mind that of every 20 people who return to EQ or move to live after playing on TLP that talk about leveling up and becoming a raider, maybe 1 will actually realize that goal.

If you're interested in grouping, I'd build a solid 2 or 3box team (3boxing on live is easier than 2boxing on truebox servers) that you can easily add rando classes with to form a good group. At max level this probably includes a shadowknight and some combination of bard, shaman, berserker, enchanter, mage.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'd also do this if you're interested in raiding. Pick 2-3 classes you think will be needed for raiding, and maybe one more box if none of the ones you picked are tanks or healers. Then, when you get to max and want to raid, you have a few choices, depending on what's needed at the time.

On top of that, it will make the journey to max level much more enjoyable (and probably faster, too).
  10. Ozon Augur

A character played by someone who knows their class and how to maximize it is always welcome in MOST guilds, raid or casual. That being said, some classes have a bit more leeway than others; Bard, Zerker, Cleric, Chanter, Necro, come to mind. Simply because those classes are essential (clerics, to an extent chanters), fantastic DPS (necro, zerker), or great utility (bard). But as I said of you are a solid player most guilds will at the very least consider your class.
    yepmetoo likes this.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I'd rather someone play a class they enjoy, and understand, and play it well, versus the "right" class. Just about every class is powerful or useful if played well. Getting people that want to log in and make few mistakes is more important than another flavor of the week class people burn out on.
    Ozon and Skuz like this.