Brand new eq1 player questions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Turie, May 8, 2021.

1. Turie New Member

So I have played many MMO's but never did play eq1 back in the day when it launched although my hubby played up until PoP. We were going to play on FV but RL got in the way. I have played eq2 for years and am looking to try eq1 with the hubby on Mischief when it comes out. So here are a few questions I have.

What are the best websites/resources that are up to date or relevant? I was looking for basic class descriptions and what race can be what class and wasn't sure where to look. Also in eq2 most players have downloaded maps and some ui tweaks, is that a thing here?

My mains in eq2 are dirge and coercer, but I have been told those classes are much different here (bard and enchanter). Do you think a new player could succeed with those classes or should I look at something else? I prefer utility or dps, I'm not a very good healer and I never did like tanking.

The forums lead me to believe alot of people box toons, will there be groups for someone like me who solo's or duo's with the hubby most of the time? I love grouping in eq2 and while I raid there I doubt I would raid in eq1 due to not knowing the game well.

Will there be any guilds that would be willing to take an MMO vet but eq1 noob? Sadly quite a few of my guild in eq2 is going to the new eq2 pvp server while I would rather try Mischief. Thanks for any and all replies!
  2. wagz Casual - Innoruuk origin

P99 has a great site for class description and starting stats. They are dated as it is a private server, but a lot is still relevant. Just googling a question usually gets you a good answer. Bard as a new player would be fun, but enchanter might become a handful as it is very busy at time (I have no experience with EQ2 so unsure how the class compare). You can solo and still get groups, people would prefer it so you’re all in.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Strongly recommend making some characters over on the live servers and messing around in the tutorial to get an idea of how EQ1 plays and how some of the classes behave.
    Skuz, Hypatia and code-zero like this.
  4. Yogi the Bear I have flea's

You can do it, recommend what Bobby said and to also research each class. I assume you are going to try out Mischief? Enchanters are going to play a little different now with the stun changes but it should not be to drastic from any research you find. Welcome aboard and I hope ya stay.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

To be frank, EQ2 and EQ1 are completely different games set in the same world (roughly). Don't expect much of your EQ2 knowledge to apply here. I agree with Bobby (ugh feels dirty even saying that), goto one of the live servers and make your characters, then go hire a tank and healer merc (or if its just one of you, a tank merc.. yes really. they are super OP at low levels and can tank many mobs for you without needing a healer)

This will let you get a feel for your class in a safe environment, play around with as many as your interested in as you should be able to hit 20 fairly fast, and have an OK idea how they play. When you have specific questions, hit https://everquest.allakhazam.com/ as its the best place to find answers even for the TLP servers (generally, P99 wiki is ok too but keep in mind a lot of things there are out dated, spell for example are generally more powerful on live then there)

If you go enc/bard on a TLP server, you won't be hurting for groups. Those are popular classes. Though, to duo, you will be charming something to tank/kill for you.

Good luck, survey says this is gonna be a busy, popular server. Your jumping into a mêlée here for your first stab at EQ1. It should be fun.
  6. Turie New Member

Been playing around on the tutorial on Bristlebane just to get a feel for the classes, thanks for that tip! So far liking shaman, monk, and magician (which are nothing like what I played in eq2). Although I don't know if any of those will be overpopulated on the new server making it harder to find groups.

Now to figure out which of the two servers to go to and if any guilds will take an mmo vet but eq1 noob. I won't be looking to raid until I get used to the game, just looking for a good group of people to chat and group with.

Still getting used to the UI here and wondering if there is a map addon like eq2 has. Over there it is a must have almost, so wanted to see if that is the same here. Also I can't find a way to make the font larger or the background not see through in the quest tracker, am I missing something?
  7. SleezerGeezer Elder

If you want to get a feel for the game, create characters on any server, click off the tutorial at creation screen, enter Crescent Reach, go down the path to the giant hut, turn in your guild letter for a crappy tunic, enter Crescent Reach, take the other large tunnel to the Crescent Reach entrance, zone out of Crescent Reach into Blightfire Moors, hang a hard right, head straight to the book, touch it and appear in Plane of Knowledge. Once there, use Find key to locate the starting city your race will be using on Mischief, click on that portal and you'll end up where you will be on Mischief. Don't forget to use Soulbinder in your racial starting city.

For In Game Maps, Brewall's Map pack.

For class guides, they're scattered. I just Google and sort by date. Your best bet is to just ask here. Most people are polite. A few can be snide.

PS. The tutorial is so radically different, to get a real feel for your class, you need to start in your racial city.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

First off, welcome to EverQuest
    (even if you were an EQ2 player before this is a very different game in many ways)

Pretty good starter guide here: https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-51200

For guides on quests or general per-expansion help try these:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/
    https://eqresource.com/
    https://www.raspersrealm.com/Everquest/
    http://www.bonzz.com/

For general helpful & interesting info
    https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Main_Page

Tradeskills
    https://www.eqtraders.com/

And a newb guide video:

And a returning player guide that may be useful, particularly as you climb in levels:
    https://ingoodcompanyguild.com/returning-players-guide/
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There are 2 map packs everyone uses in EQ 1.

Someone mentioned Brewells (http://www.eqmaps.info/eq-map-files/) already

but there is also Goods Maps - they have their own sub forum post under Veteran forum. (https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...dhczhaemU5Skp0U2xRY29EQkpoalRHYjduRzNrYmx6R2c) .

The only font you can make larger is in the chat line you type in. To do that you type /chatfontsize 4 or 5 or whichever you prefer. Use 0-9.

The other way you can somewhat affect the font so it is easier is to change the font style.

At the top of your screen or wherever you moved it is your windows bar and look for Options -> General then on middle right is a box you can play around with different fonts. Might want to try Cambria
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Bristlebard New Member

I have recently dabbled in EQ2. The games are so different is it hard to know where to start. So I'll stick directly to the questions:

1) Resources: As well as the sites mentioned above, Allakhazam for EQ has a great spell database and you can sort by era/expansion. In addition, a number of streamers have very compete TLP guides for each class. In particular, you might find Doctor Nachoz TLP videos very helpful (just Google it). On the TLP class guides and "how to start" videos, he assumes very little starting knowledge. He also has videos describing the 1-50 spells for each class and which ones you really need. For in game maps, you want to search for Brewall's maps and or Good's maps. Both are good resources and a search of the internet should set you up.

2) Classes are very hard to compare. For instance, Inquisitor on EQ2 is pretty much like a hybrid between a cleric and a wizard on EQ1. I think you could succeed with either Bard or Enchanter, but neither is "easy" to get started with. Enchanters are primarily charm pet operators in the group game and controlling a charmed pet is full time work. There are guides and videos to help. What style of gameplay to you like? That would help us recommend a class. Are you into supporting the group, do you want to lay down serious DPS, do you like to play a crowd control role? EQ makes you specialize more than EQ2 does.

3) On TLP servers finding pick up groups (PUGs) will be no problem. Most people on TLPs DO assume that there are no real newbs and everyone is expected to have some sort of game knowledge. For this reason I highly recommend joining a friends and family style guild and just be up front that you are learning the game. People can be a little on the elitist side in EQ, even on TLPs.

4) Yes, many guilds will be glad to take you early on. Understand there is often a bit of guild hopping going on through the first several expansions. Guilds come and go and the big fish eat the little fish. Many players in casual / casual raiding / mid tier guilds will literally stay until the very day they get their EPIC, then they are out of there :) It is just how it is.

One big game play difference I'll mention is that spells are a whole lot smarter in EQ2 than they are in EQ. Later in the game, a few EQ spells start working more like EQ2 spells, but not many in the early expansions. In other words, if you're a healer and you want to damage mobs, you have to switch your targets. You have to target a group member to heal, and then target the mob to cast a nuke. If you keep a mob targeted and cast your heal, it does not automatically go to that monsters target like it does in EQ2. You would just be wasting time casting heals with mobs targeted. That is pretty uniform. Beneficial spells casted at NPCs your group is fighting will do nothing beneficial for your group. Targeting is a much more active thing in EQ1. Another big difference is the quest system. You don't get the nice balloons over NPCs who have tasks for you. In fact, some quests don't even give highlighted text...you just have to read some quest walkthroughs and know where to go and what to say. Travel...I'm not even going to get into it. Just understand if you have two hours to play, its easy to spend thirty minutes finding and getting to a group. Your not going to jump all around the map in EQ. I don't know what it would hurt, but they like to make us suffer! No griffon rides either!

I just wanted to give a bit of a reality check. EQ is more manual and less easy than EQ2. That said, the community can be outstanding if you hook up with a good guild and accomplishing things in the game can be very rewarding.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Lejaun Augur

I would suggest joining Thornblade or Mischief. They will open up on Wednesday afternoon. You will have other players starting off at the same level you are, with the same lack of gear. Great time to learn the game and plenty of groups to go around.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Montag Augur

EQ is very different from EQ2

Bard is very different from a dirge and enchanter is very different from coercer. The whole pacing of the game here is much more deliberate and you have to be much more careful with every move you make here compared to eq2, that is, unless you play a monk.

In this game monks are pure DPS and not tanks at all, they are also the ideal first toon for a new player.

They are the best DPS for a looooong time and have a cool combo of easy to play well both with a deep bag of tricks to keep things interesting, mostly revolving around “pulling” which is a core aspect of this game that differs from EQ2.

They are also a very forgiving class with a built in get out of jail free card to erase your screwups whileyou’re learning.

100% go monk, you won’t regret it.

It will give you a stress free way to learn the game on one of the chillest classes and then as you learn you can expand into the puller/splitter role which is the other thing besides DPS that they excel at.
  13. Baldur Augur

I use the default UI, once you get either Brewall's or Good's map pack then you should be good.

There is https://www.eqinterface.com/ if you wanted to try a custom UI.
  14. Wtfagain Elder

I didn't read this wall of text but let me say, whatever your friend told you about making IRL money, was a lie.
  15. Montag Augur

I just want to say it again because it’s that important.

Go monk. It will take so much pressure off you and give you a chance to learn the game without managing a ton of fussy choices but yet has enough depth and cool tricks to not get boring.

Also even a “bad” monk is still really really useful and groups will always want you.
  16. Stymie Pendragon

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with anything said in this entire thread./boggle
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The allegation is: 'Word is getting around a new make-irl-money-on-EQ-server is opening.' And people are 'researching' with fishing threads.

It would seem likely they based that on the thread title alone, having stated they didn't read the post. I'd take them at their word on that part.

The rest? :rolleyes: I think we see who is dreaming about rmt in the thread.
  18. samenye Lorekeeper

Avoid being the bad monk: throw away your Intimidate key

Ghoul assassin is very afraid
    A ghoul wizard begins to cast a spell
    A gargoyle thinks, what the hell, I'll join in too!
    Bad Monk has fallen to the ground
  19. Stymie Pendragon

When someone decides to reply to a thread they couldn't be bothered to read it throws up a "here's your sign" flag for me. The pervervbial wall of text took me about 30 seconds to read, but, yeah, I understand that reading a text based forum can get boring? ( mumbles about gnat brains and shakes his head)

Anyways, welcome back OP, and I hope you find some friends to play with on one of the new TLP's.:)

Most people are really nice in this game. I'm sure you'll meet some folks that make your time spent in Norrath really fun!
  20. killswitch87 Journeyman

this! :)