How to Incentivize Grouping or Accelerate Solo Catch-ups?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nobildus, May 19, 2021.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

For catch ups I suggest more servers do what we do. I run MGB sessions and each time do six different levels of buffs starting off at the top level stuff and ending with buffs that hit level 1's. Regular buffing can go a long way to making those solo levels go by fast.

Sadly due to some RL issues affected by covid I haven't been running as many buff sessions lately but for most of the 8 or so years I would run 1-3 buff sessions a day some days more some less but pretty much daily.

Wherever your buff pile is stop by and drop buffs for lower levels occasionally. It will help.
  2. Stymie Pendragon

I think part of the reason they haven't fixed this obvious issue is that live servers share the same database with the TLP's. I can understand why they don't want to manage more than one, but it would give them the freedom to make changes that they don't have today.
  3. jiri_ Augur

There are some obvious differences, though. The TLPs already have different experience rates, including from each other. And now we're getting two servers with randomized loot tables. Feels like if they can do that, they can implement some catchup mechanisms that only unlock at CoV or ToV or whatever.
  4. Stymie Pendragon

The random loot tables do point to possible separate databases, which may end up being a net positive in regards to them being able to make changes on a server by server basis. I hope so!

The exp portion is a simple change to specific servers. A while back I had a private server (only me), and did a search in the database for "exp". I set it pretty high and leveled from 1 to 8 after killing a single rat:)
    jiri_ likes this.
  5. jiri_ Augur

The other thing that would help catching up is incentivizing soloing at levels below the max. The most efficient method of getting experience has always been maximizing kill speed. In groups, that's been chain-pulls, large pulls with AE aggro, or PBAE stun/ae groups. Those are way faster than any remaining method of solo grinding. Players are also incentivized to group with xp bonuses, and that's good! But when a player needs to catch up, they're hit with a double penalty - they're stuck soloing, if that's even possible for their class, and they're not getting that experience bonus.
  6. Nobildus Journeyman

I'm glad this post has generated so much discussion. It's good to see a variety of opinions. I do wonder what most people would prefer when it comes to leveling up though, an easier grouping experience or a quicker solo experience from 1-110. I don't know if there is a sufficient population to support grouping at such a range of levels.

Maybe it's best to ask for a lower and upper level range of cons, and increase the experience given from those mobs? It doesn't prevent power-leveling but it rewards those who play within the range. As someone mentioned above, eeking out a win over a mob isn't necessarily fun, especially when you have to do it for every kill. Keeping the challenge of the mobs but substantially increasing the experience they give might be a middle ground.
  7. Numiko Augur

8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well going by the track record of Devs nerfing XP in expansions that are not the current one in the L100+ era I would hold out exactly zero hope of your idea ever bearing fruit.
    Niskin, Stymie and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  9. Diorite Not a New Member

People already group up exactly as much as they want to group. No need to incentivize here. If you've ever played a priest, joined a pick up group, had the tank pull 20, use zero discs, then whine about a death; you would know exactly why you see so few clerics/shm/druids lfg. Similarly if you've ever played a dps class and died because the tank couldn't hold aggro or the priest ninja afk'd; you'd know why non guild groups are a thing of the past.

As far as catch up rates, mixed feelings here. Recently re-rolled on a new server; and frankly I can't gear up nearly as fast as I'm leveling. Spells are so pricey, sub 110 gear is basically non existent in the bazaar (even if spells didn't suck up every plat that I get). The XP rate is decently paced if you know where to go. The spell and gear drops are holding me back far more than XP; to the point I can't use lesson as it just widens that gap.

I'd love a new tier of heroics. Give them the equivalent of full TBL raid gear including fully evolved chase gear and all the achievements up to that point (including epics, 1.5, 2.0). They need to be almost broken/op so that they have some viability in the future. Some purist will call that crazy, but honestly it's not as amazing as you think, most of the focus effects won't have much viability at 115, but the new heroic just might survive in tov/cov group content. To the uphill both ways crowd....making others suffer because you had to is weird, tediously grinding out 10,000 mobs isn't going to make someone enjoy EQ, nor will it guarantee they are a good player.
    Ozon, Skuz and Metanis like this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

If I was running the show at EQ I'd monetize the hell out of gear, EXP, levels, and mercs. For the right amount of cash I'd sell you level 120 mercs of every flavor including shaman and chanters, current expansion level 1 raid gear, and up to 1000% EXP pots.

If a returning player wants to slog through content the old fashioned way then let 'em, but if they want to be end-game ready in just a week or two then let them for a nice contribution to the bottom line.

Sure some stuck in the mud types will complain about EZ Mode but what are they going to do? Quit?
  11. KrakenReality Augur

Overseer is actually very crappy experience for anyone trying to catchup to at least 105+. For example:

Level 92 SK (Free to Play Status and Relatively New to Overseer)
    3 Missions -- 2 Common Diplomacy Missions 12hours claimed for ~1.9% experience total, with the 3rd mission being a Recruit Workers task.

It's why nobody mentions it as a means to catchup to 115.
  12. Rage Lorekeeper

They need to lower the level requirement for the Feerrott merc quest to 75. The issue is J1 mercs start to suck in the late 70s but doing the SoD merc quests is difficult at that level. The Feerrott task is very easy but level limited to 85+.

If you have the J5 mercs people can duo/2box cotf HAs pretty easily from 75-100 and its fairly fast, especially if you augment with overseer as well as hotzone tasks.
  13. bomodo New Member

i am getting xp with 3 different toons atm and getting about 10 to 12 % reg xp per days from 5 overseer's tasks * twice a day *, per toons ( 2 X 12 hours tasks ), but my tasks are level 5 , so about 10 X more from what you are getting . { ** i don't need to use recruit agents anymore }

getting one level or so every 10 days at level 111 and higher is pretty good .
    Yinla likes this.
  14. KrakenReality Augur

Yeah, my example was just Level 1 Diplomacy missions for someone returning/new and hadn’t gotten into Overseer much.
    jiri_ likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

First I don't like Overseer BUT for folks leveling between 111 and 115 Overseer can be a big part of their exp if they can't do missions because grinding exp is much harder these days. I ground out almost 3 levels in ToV before doing missions it was insanely slow going.

So if you can do missions massive exp bonus missions in ToV+ or you are under level 111 then the Overseer exp isn't a big deal. If you are grinding your exp 111+ then it is a big deal based on what folks who used it for that purpose tell me.

Still wish they had spent the time on overseer on something to do with the core game. I pay to play EQ not some mini game. But lots of folks like it so there is that.
    Accipiter likes this.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

I was going to say that as well. Anything that gives x% of a level is money in ToV and CoV. I don't do Overseer but I suppose I'll have to give in someday.
    Skuz and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  17. Tucoh Augur

Add squires using the shrouding system. Let's you shroud your lowbie char into a gimpy level 115 with your max level buddies. You can play with real people, get xp and gear and don't have to tread through the desert between 85 and max level.
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Shroud down, squire up.... I like it :)
  19. Dre. Altoholic

FTP newbie server. Lvl 65 cap. Unlocked through Gates. AoC's and free transfers off.
    Tucoh likes this.