The One Thing That Should Be No-trade on Mischief

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by HoodenShuklak, May 21, 2021.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

A successful businessman once told me, don't go into business to make money. Go into business to offer a great service. The money comes on it's own. He was one of the most expensive around and was booked solid.

There will always be people looking to scalp a quick buck. EQ has a lot more potential than just that.
    Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You're wrong, it has to be both because if your game is not fun it will not be profitable, if it is not profitable it will cease to exist.

How many "zero fun" games out there make money? Zero
  3. Bristlebard New Member

This will sound arrogant. I apologize up front. I think I have fairly unique perspective in that I have played on many TLPs and I have maintained a presence on a free trade server for the last 6 or 7 years. I have done so as the "non-elite." I had zero resources when I got to FV. If found the journey from 85-105 to be a complete slogfest while everyone in my guild was yelling "its easy." Well, it is easy if you start with plentiful currency/resources from transferred-in characters. I had zero.

Free trade shifts the balance of power between supply (farmers) and demand (the general server population). I wouldn't say it evens it out, but it clearly shifts it in favor of demand compared to traditional servers with mostly no-trade raid gear. I never felt like I was going to "catch up" on TLPs absent joining a top tier raiding guild or spending real world money. I did not have that desperation on FV. Even starting out I could see that people were willing to just hand me stuff I couldn't dream of without raiding on regular servers. Once you get, and then subsequently upgrade, your first raid item, access to currency (yes, even the might krono) opens up pretty quickly. It happens sooner if your in a solid raiding guild, but it will make it down to the casual gang in a reasonable amount of time.

If you understand TLPs perfectly, but you have not experienced a free trade server, I think your missing half of the important knowledge (condescending, huh?). Despite regular attempts at market manipulation on FV, free-trade makes it much harder to sustain than it is on traditional TLPs. Unless ever power boxer and top guild on the server works collaboratively to sit on supply, the markets will always get back to equilibrium pretty quickly. Inflation will boggle your minds. The price of a krono is going to balloon well above anything you've every seen on TLP before. Yet, strangely enough you'll have better access to them than you've every had before...so you won't care that they are tradeable.
    raylone and Bardy McFly like this.
  4. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Should be a one time trade.
  5. Numiko Augur

Everquest 3! .. oh wait .. :oops:
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Never existed, you mean EQNEXT, "ponytail" would not be impressed.
  7. Laronk Augur

Well gathering krono is fun for some people, getting rich playing the EC tunnel game is fun for others. Some people enjoy racing to 50 or killing naggy first.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah, you may need more coffee. That was the point of the meme.
  9. Laronk Augur

They want us to log in as much as possible and spend as much time in game as possible buying all sorts of stuff from the store. Generally that means a focus on getting people having fun and having those people build a community so that they keep logging in and playing.

Even the whole idea of a random loot server might keep the average player playing more as they can't just camp a b c and then be fully geared. Now they have to trade with other players, interact with other players. At the same time they've maybe spread out the BIS camps or made them completely random so there's less toxic behavior in some places.
  10. Laronk Augur

I need a lot more coffee
    Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.
  11. WokeCat Augur

I'm actually curious how anyone is making money doing this? Like I actively mine Ethereum, have mined Dogecoin and Bitcoin in the past. But I don't see Krono listed on Coinbase or Binance. Like how does someone turn in-game currency into real currency..?
  12. Bardy McFly Augur

Waiting for someone to take this comment seriously and the thread disappear.
  13. raylone New Member

if serious, nobody going tell you how they make money for 2 reason.

you be competition, it get people ban shut down with a net loss with zero gain, so why did they tell you?
    their always be ways to make money, even in WoW with it casual easy mode people are making money on that game.