Shaman Twinheal vs Cleric Twinheal

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Karhar, May 21, 2021.

1. Karhar Dream Crusher

So I actually played a shaman for a bit last night, and noticed that their wintry gift was a Target's target spell for Twinheal, but for clerics it's a target mob nuke mob and get twinheal.

What reason is this backwards?

I guess if they are healing tanks or what not it makes sense but clerics all we do is target people, can't we get a targets target nuke for twinheal?
  2. Cadira Augur

As convenient as that'd be I still don't think I'd use it.
  3. Raccoo Augur

As a shaman I'd love to switch to direct target for our twincast. I'd prefer to be targeting the mobs more than players. Would also love them to give all priests Target & Target's Target heals like they did for Paladins, Rangers, and Beastlords during TOV.
  4. Tour Augur

It'd be nice to have in principle, but yeah, still limited usefulness given that using the line creates a ~4.3s gap where you're not healing that the twincast afterward isn't worth the risk for. Could be nice for augmenting splash, but Shm already cover that role with rains. For grouping though it'd be more high yield to max out DPS via Int. Contravention target's target would be a nice quality of life improvement in the same train of thought. Semi-related, a PB AoE or targeted AoE rather than free target splash would be nice too imo regarding targeting improvements.
  5. Szilent Augur

I think clerics should have both. Like clerics have both Intervention & Contravention, should have nuke+twinheal & hottnuke+twinheal. For each healing tool in game, clerics should have the best version. Little higher numbers all around, and more usable w/r/t targeting or cool down or whatever.
    eqgamer, Tour and Stymie like this.
  6. JimBob Elder Lorekeeper

I wholeheartedly agree. Clerics, who are the purest of the priest classes, should have all the best heals. Just like warriors should be the beefiest of tanks since are the purest of the plate classes... and just like the wizards, whose sole job it is to make things go BOOM, should be the top dog when it comes to... um, well, I'll save that for another thread.
    eqgamer likes this.
  7. Karhar Dream Crusher

I think i could make use of it more than what we get right now though.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

It'd be better if they just eliminated the lag associated with changing targets. Maybe then I'd feel more likely to target a mob rather than the tank I'm trying to keep alive.
  9. aozs Augur

Extended targeting hotkeys are super snappy.

In my box setups, I have the healer set xtar 1 to group assist's target and xtar 2 to group tank. The healer's multibind has target extended target 2 in addition to the usual heal spells. Instead of assist, I use target extended target 1 for all my chars as well since it performs so much better. The only slowness happens when setting up the targets in the first place, ie if the MA switches targets it can take 1-2 seconds to update the xtar window.

When I need a heal, I just tap the heal multibind followed immediately by the assist hotkey. The healer will target the tank and start a heal then go back to targeting the kill target for melee swings immediately. It works 100% reliably, no delay like the normal target switching has. Though it can be a bit trickier if I'm casting offensive spells since the spell lockout might delay the heal.
    Tatanka likes this.
  10. Szilent Augur

"box setups" implies group game? Metanis wanting to hot swap targets in raids is tougher
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Possibly true, but not necessarily.

I also use the xtar window for selecting targets because it is really fast. In a raid, I imagine it's a fairly small set of people you intend to be swapping into your target, so there's no reason you couldn't set that up. There are 13 slots, after all.
  12. Conq Augur

There is lag when assist healing during raids. It used to be "snappy" just to punch my /assist macro twice to pickup whoever the new tank was on the raid mob, but it seems like this entire year (if not longer) - that same /assist pauses, costing me heals cast.
    Conq
    Annastasya, Metanis and Szilent like this.
  13. Chaosflux Augur

I found using my 2nd xtar as Target's target was better for quick toggling targets, and since its Xtar keybind as opposed to social assist key it can be used midcast.

The scenarios when I use Glorious line on my cleric I don't have the tank targeted generally anyways (since its a dps spell) so it never bothered me.

Setting up targets target and having tanks on xtar 3 - 6/7 (or more) allows pretty quick toggling back and forth between tank and their mob to glorious off of, retargetting done during GCD. So I just 3, toss a remedy whatevs, hit 2 during spell cast to target their mob, glorious cast, hit 3 during spell cast to retarget tank.

Its the shaman/druid ones I absolutely cannot stand personally I'd rather them all require targetting the mob, but I am definitely in the minority on that
    Metanis likes this.
  14. Thraine Augur

if our twinheal nuke worked like the shaman one i would at least consider it. as it stands tho i have no time to target a mob and nuke it while upholding my healing duties.
    Metanis likes this.
  15. Metanis Bad Company

If you think back to the early days of EQ as you began to learn the game one of the very first social buttons you were instructed to make was a single line; /assist button. It worked reliably for many years and was as close to instantaneous as you needed. Many of us old school healers were taught to /assist heal so that we could keep up with aggro changes during raids. But as mentioned here, there is a severe lag penalty now for simply trying to /assist.

I keep an entire extended target window filled with tanks and chanters during raids but sometimes I still just want to target the nearest npc and then /assist it to throw a heal to somebody that isn't on my xtarget but finds themselves in trouble. When I target the npc I instantly see their target on my target of target window, so the game is still capable of displaying that info in a UI. But then sometimes it's actually quicker to then type /tar firstFewLettersOfPlayersName to get them on target for a heal than it is to hit my 6 key which is /assist.

It's not a game breaker but it's just one more of those annoying little quirks where the Devs took something that worked fine for years and then borked it for no apparent reason.
    Annastasya and Conq like this.
  16. Rolaque Ancient

You can multi-bind a unique key to each xtar along with the heal spells. One key stroke targets and immediately starts the cast. Works exceptionally well since druids only have 3 single target instant heals anyway.

And since we're on the subject, you might as well multi-bind your group function keys to heals too. It allows you to rapidly target a group member and immediately cast a heal. The annoying drawback is that double tapping an Fn key targets the player's pet. And I don't know of a work-around to cancel that feature.

As for triggering twincast heals, the druid version only requires a player be targeted to work and produce the healing twincast buff in the song window. For us, that is convenient, especially for druid group heals, since ours are restricted to group only, and there is no need to switch targets if we want to twincast our group heal. So you see, the design works perfectly well for us.
  17. Shredd Augur

I love that the shaman twin cast works off other players. Tells me who is AFK during raids so they can die to lack of heals.
    Shaman gift only works if the player the shaman targets has a target. . at times I see a blank target off the player.