Returning Necro Post Patch Assistance Request

Discussion in 'Casters' started by qsnoopyjr, May 19, 2021.

1. qsnoopyjr Lorekeeper

Hello. I am a returning Necro. I am L 109, average gear (no raid gear) and exclusively solo. I have been studying spell rotations and am stumped. Seems that Swifts are out. Now wounds won't stack.
    Could someone kindly give me a rotation that, post patch, will allow me to continue to progress in a Mana efficient way. I prefer root rot over kiting.
    Thanks in advance for the assist.
  2. Ythera Augur

I find being mana efficient isn't as good as just hitting the mobs hard with my biggest dots and getting them killed fast and then resting to regain mana after X kills. Use burns and mana regen tools often and just go hard as often as possible.

So, my rotation would be: biggest fire dot, biggest magic dot, triad disease combo dot, biggest two poison dots, second biggest fire dot, and then use call for blood line nuke to fish for chaotic power procs.
    qsnoopyjr likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Speaking as a druid who used to do A LOT of root/rotting, including before OOC regen was implemented, I 100% agree with Ythera. Max DPS, not DPM, and if (when) you do go low on mana, just go OOC and regen the mana that way.

OOC regen is 0-100% in 3 minutes. If you have 100K mana, and you go all the way to 0, the next three minutes in OOC regen are giving you 3333 mana/tick.
    kizant likes this.
  4. Zamloz New Member

Personally, I give my pet people clothes pop a healer merc and make it tank. A couple good stun proc weapons and the runes should be more than sufficient.
  5. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Knowing this was coming I started my rotation a few days ago. I’m only 110 wearing snowbound.
    Snare
    Wounds
    Scorching
    Grip
    Pyre
    Other fire dot
    Then venon.
    Swarm
    Bloodline

Usually have to recast snare and pyre.

Root rotting would be similar.
    qsnoopyjr likes this.
  6. Igorath-Bertox Elder

Rotate your hand to the 'Uninstall Everquest' button and click. Devs hate Necros and they are no longer viable nor fun to play.
    Fcseven XIII likes this.
  7. Ythera Augur

The nerf didn't even affect most of our dots. It didn't affect Pyre of Klraggek (the biggest dot we have and the bulk of our damage), crystal crawler venom, any of the disease dots, composite paroxysm, tserrina's grasp or frozen leach.

Altogether, I only see 4 modern dots that were reduced: Oblivion, Dracnia's Pallad Haze, Pyre of the Wretched, and Broiling Shadow; and the proliferation of the wounds line is a bit of a hit.
  8. mordsith Journeyman

sssh and dont worry they will get to the others
  9. qsnoopyjr Lorekeeper

Wow. That's depressing.
  10. qsnoopyjr Lorekeeper

Thank you Y. Could you kindly advise a returning Necro as to a root rot rotation post patch. I would be grateful. I have to grind my way from L109 to L115 without giving up. Thanks.
  11. bobokatt Augur

At this point you have to decide between mana efficiency and how quickly you want/need to kill. Also how many mobs are you going to try and root/rot? Also keep in mind that the grind from 111 to 115 is much more "easily" attained with missions in TOV and COV rather than grinding out killing mobs. Heck if you start and do the Rollos Zek earring quests, those give a really nice XP kick as well. Just grinding mobs takes for EVER.

Also use your Overseer and claim for XP -- try and do at least 5 missions every day. Many/most are 12 hours so you could in theory get up early in the morning, run 5 (most you can have at one time), then in the evening 12 hours later, claim and get 5 more, go to bed, next day rinse repeat. Trust me it's worth it and everything helps.

For the rotation post patch, at least for me, I use highest wound, then Decay Combo (you will get a new one at level 110 if you can push it to 110), Shadow (fire), then second fire (wretched), Scourge (if undead in TOV), Ignite (yes I know it has not been consolidated but cheap) and then fire away with the Blood line fishing for chaotic and keeping defilers synergy up. If you get a Gift of Mana, drop your big boy Fire. Again since we no longer can have 5 wounds spells, you know have a few more spell slots to choose from -- utility or other DOTS that you can use especially if you get the Gift of Mana. FOR ME the rotation above is enough to kill with burns and pet and at times the Wound wont even reach the point of proliferating so I just grab more. See how a 30 min kill session works for you and see how good or bad your mana is. If you are doing well, by all means add another DOT in that rotation, (your poison Haze line for instance).

Again above is "slower" for efficiency. You can simply and completely go the opposite route and hit your biggest DOTs going down the line in damage/duration using more mana but killing faster.

The key is finding how many DOTs are needed to drop the type of mobs you are grinding that day. Is it better to find a sequence and number of DOTS that you DO NOT need to re-apply and you can simply move from mob to mob, or you need to blow them up fast?

I always have my pet TANK one and keep other 2-3 root/rotting with merc healing. Grab some pet armour and weapons.

Use your Death bloom when it's up, always, Blood Magic when bloom is down and you need to keep killing, and when you got your mobs with DOTs ticking away always click your robe that you should have for Curse of Muram, and rotate as they are down between hand of death, Spire, gathering dust etc., Twincast. You are in there for the duration so USE your burns always. No need to save them unless you are hunting for a named and need them all for that one shot.

Make sure you are running personal tribute (twinge of pain and visions of suffering) always. Buy, beg, borrow or steal tonics of efficiency to extend your DOTs. Try and get the best stat food/drink you can get, best power source you can get, at your level as you cannot use the 114 ones, I would suggest to hunt in GMM. Not only is it great AA XP but I got LOADS of great power sources there before I could finally use the higher bought/made ones that are 114.

Keep Shield of order up/handy and use your Geomantra clicky all the time. In TOV and COV you are constantly getting hit with DOTS etc and the Geomantra buff helps. Mana rods etc.

Shrink and sit on your fat horse while root/rotting for that small boost in mana regen. Make sure you always have your own Mana regen buff going (Gloom etc.), SE from a BST and your SKIN rune that also gives you mana regen. Park your butt in the lag pile when doing nothing, and get some good MGB buffs for you and your pet and merc.

I am sure I am missing lots. Again this is my own personal strategy. But I would implore you to seriously consider trying to group for harder TOV COV missions and if not at least (BEFORE) you spend days grinding away aimlessly killing mobs, grab as many MERC and partisan quests as you can in the same zone, as you might be grinding on mobs that also are part of those quests to kill. Why not.
  12. Ythera Augur

Going from 109 to 115 with root rotting is going to be a dull affair. I'd suggest doing the tasks in ToV and that should get you to 114, or fully to 115 if you wait to get the achievements during the Memorial Day Bonus xp time this upcoming weekend.
    bobokatt, qsnoopyjr, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  13. Marton Augur

I second ToV tasks. Can also use collectibles to help with exp. IIRC it's only 2% per set but it adds up and Scavenger rewards are nice.
    qsnoopyjr and Skuz like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Rubbish
  15. qsnoopyjr Lorekeeper

Thank you sir. So appreciative of your comprehensive thoughts and comments. I will do some research on the missions in TOV and COV. Currently I only have expansions up to ROS as I left EQ a number of years ago. I am prepared to upgrade my account as becomes necessary. Additionally I would just like to say you represent the kind of helpful spirit that I first encountered when I started EQ in 2005. It's good to know people who love this game are still willing to help returning players. It surely keeps EQ moving forward. If you don't mind, I may seek your coaching as I continue to progress.
  16. JimBob Elder Lorekeeper

Don't forget about adding /overseer to your exp grind rotation and if you can't find a group to do the ToV tasks yourself, don't let your pride get in the way of asking for task adds to the ToV missions.
    qsnoopyjr likes this.