The one Console worth porting to.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Berkwin, May 18, 2021.

1. KrakenReality Augur

There are already EQ-like games on the App stores. Doesn't take long to do a quick search. I really don't see value in answer your question, when it's framed as such:

2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

EQ-like how? Name a game, I'll look it up, but I don't believe you when you say, EQ-like.

Unless you mean, fantasy setting, and fighting monsters. Sure, whatever.

And, still waiting for an answer. Why do >you< want to play >EQ< on your phone?

You don't see any value in my question, and I obviously see no value in your answers. Whatever, dude, have a nice day.

You seem to ignore the question of the thread... should EQ be ported to a console. You seem to be arguing that some EQ-themed app could be made for mobile. But the question is not about something LIKE EQ, but actual EQ.
  3. KrakenReality Augur

I already mentioned OSRS (Old School Runescape), and there's other options out there like Celtic Heroes. Just use google, it's not difficult here just copy and paste this into your browser and you can ask it anything, https://www.google.com/

OSRS information: https://www.jagex.com/en-GB/news/6oF9Pr/jagex-announces-record-1109million-revenue

We get it, you don't want to play EQ on mobile but EQ needs to continue to expand to more customers and not just alt accounts. There's no point in debating the perks and downsides of mobile gaming versus PC gaming, because it just doesn't matter.

They have an old console version of EQ that they could dust off called EverQuest Online Adventures, are you forgetting that exists?
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

xbox is the best port. its basically a pc now. already supports keyboard and mouse. xbox live friends list and chat fixes the friends list and audio chat limitations of eq. DCUO is already there.

Why console? because its a pc i own. The fact that i cant write a research paper in word on my xbox is dumb.
  5. Captain Video Augur

EQ code is not portable, so there won't be any port. If they ever have dev resources to completely rewrite the game, it will be EQ3, not a "ported" EQ1.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You have the most annoying habit of never sticking to the subject.

LOL, the two games you mention have nothing like the complexity of EQ. So, nice try, strike one.

Two, forget that I don't want to play EQ on mobile. You haven't even told us why you want to play EQ on mobile. What does it offer which improves on the PC experience?

Third, we're not debating the perks and downsides of mobile gaming. Well, you are, and keep ignoring my request to limit the discussion to EQ.

EQOA - yeah I forgot, cause I never played it, so it really never occurred to me. But, and here's the point, it's >NOT EQ<. It's a separate app based on EQ's lore. Which is fine. But, again, besides the point. The discussion is, does porting EQ (actual, you know, Everquest) to a console or mobile device make sense?

If you can't wrap your brain around that issue, just let it go.
  7. KrakenReality Augur

I just gave you the primary example for an any classic MMORPG (EQ or EQOA) to create a mobile version or push onto the game streaming services like NVIDIA’s. I feel a lot of people here don’t know that game streaming exists, too.

You can talk about how does it upgrade the PC experience, but who cares there are 2 billion Android users that would have access to the EQ franchise. I keep stating my reasons for putting EQ IP on a mobile platform, but you just don’t seem to blow past it expecting me to develop some list of reasons why I would want it.
  8. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I think you two should just make out already.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

When you say porting "EQ1" to a console, do you mean a live EQ1-client, where we use 4+hotbars and multiple chat-windows, or do you mean a dumbed down "classic" EQ1(1999-style UI) where we had 6 hot-buttons and a single chat-window, and a separate server?
    Or do you just mean a simple mobile game that uses EQ lore?

I can't imagine a functional user-interface for a live EQ1-client on a console tbh(but then again I don't have a very good imagination...:p)

I think EQ1 is too complex for console input...
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Well there are people that play at work/shcool while on break/lunch. You could play while traveling if you are not the one driving. You can play many places while you have downtime and sure you won't get in a long session but there are people who play for shorter sessions.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Why do you think idle games are so popular on mobile? Do you think the mobile interface options are so powerful that they said "no, that's too much, we should limit it to them touching the screen a few times and then waiting" and went with that as a game mechanic?

I mean if they really harnessed the power of, let me see, oh yes, tapping the screen, how would consoles even exist anymore. Throw away your XBOX/PS5/Switch, that stuff is garbage, did you know you could tap locations on a small screen instead? Revolutionary!

Let's be real here. Mobile gaming is popular because boredom is unpopular, and people have boring crap to do, so voila, mobile gaming takes over. But it only takes over our wait time at the bank, or the doctor's office. Or when we are stuck doing something other than what we want to be doing, which is play real games.

Now we aren't that far off from it changing. One bluetooth connected controller and some VR apparatus to put that phone on your face makes a huge difference. But that's a different style of input again, more console like. The VR aspect takes away the bluetooth keyboard option, and going without VR means the screen is too small to bother with a keyboard anyway. So things will get better in mobile gaming, but it will still be limited in scope.

So let's dispose of this "people like mobile gaming" myth. Nobody actually likes mobile gaming better than other gaming, they just like it better than being bored.
    Skuz and Vumad like this.
  12. Vumad Cape Wearer

I would like to play EQ on my phone. I would like to play any and every game on my phone. They make folding keyboards and bluetooth mice. Xbox controllers connect to iPhones again. I would gladly plug my phone into a television.

As a matter of fact, I have tried streaming Call of Duty Warzone from my phone to Apple TV. The latency is way too high and the controller isn't interfacing right. But look at the the switch. It's a mobile with a dock. The iPhone is powerful, and if they ditched the classic concept of mobile gaming, and went to TV docks with wireless keyboards, EQ could absolutely run well on your phone on your TV.

EQ runs on a potato. The issue is that when people think of EQ on mobile, they think of playing with the touch screen, rather than a device needing supported peripherals.

Roller Coaster Tycoon classic from PC is on android, and let me tell you what, connect a mouse to your android and it is an excellent experience. Connect your android to a TV, and you wont know you're on mobile.

The mobile devices are getting powerful enough to run complexed games. Soon you will see a step back to Xbox 360 graphics on mobile designed to work with an Xbox remote or KB/mouse plugged into a TV, with these same games seamlessly playing with higher quality graphics cross platform with PC and Xbox. It's such a shame that Microsoft has done such a poor job with the xbox / PC / phone / surface ecosystem. They should be crushing it, but instead they struggle to name the xbox something that makes it easy for me to explain to people which one to buy.
  13. Evye Augur

Still say they should port tradeskills to phone or switch so you can do some while you wait
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I had a friend tell me a few years ago that in a few years we would just use our phones for everything, we'd have a dock for our phones and it would be much like you described. He's a smart guy, and he could have been right, but he wasn't. The thing is that while that would be convenient for some people, it would be a pain for others. Phones serve a purpose, and mobile phones a more broad purpose since they are tiny computers.

Yes, you can plug your phone into your TV and display 1080p, you can have a bluetooth keyboard, and that's like a PC, but then you are also putting extra strain on your phone doing that, using it constantly for everything. If it dies you lose multiple useful things all at once. I'd rather my phone just be my phone, with a really awesome computer in it for when I need that.

The illusion is that your phone is as capable as your PC, and it's not. Just because it can do 3d rendering and modern resolutions, doesn't mean it can do what this year's new video cards can do, or last year's for that matter. Phones don't have proper cooling, and heat kills electronics like nobody's business. Am i glad I've seen phones go from one core, to two/four/eight? Of course, better functionality is better for all. But let's not pretend that mobile chip, even if it's latest tech like 5nm or 7nm production, is anywhere close to even some older PC chips.

Game streaming may change the game here. Stadia showed it was too early for that, but others have had limited success with it. Still the hold up there is latency, and mobile being wifi will have more latency even with fast wifi speeds. You have to understand the limitations and bottlenecks if you want to promote a change in how technology is used.

In the end, to gain convenience, you have to give something up. Playing EQ on a phone would be convenient for some, but could it be the same experience? For those who truly push themselves in this game, I don't think so. Just because an idea has some upsides, doesn't mean there are no downsides. Mobile gaming, even with the most cutting edge tech we have now, can't touch PC/Console gaming. It's not even close. That could change in the future, but only with a paradigm shift in how mobile devices receive input, process things, and communicate.
  15. Tucoh Augur

Port overseer to android / ios. Integrate with EQ servers. Add more p2w to it.

I kind of figured that was the goal all along. Not sure why they haven't done it.
  16. KrakenReality Augur

100% they were trying to use the WoW Companion app and their mission tables. Every expansion so far for the past 4-5 years has integrated a new monetization feature.

They probably couldn’t figure out how to integrate outside activities to in game rewards. This is the game that had to remove the membership status from the inventory screen.
    Tucoh likes this.