Why did you bother buffing Necros?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dwimmerlaike, May 19, 2021.

1. Dwimmerlaike Elder

Why did you bother buffing necros and making them viable when you are just taking it away. It makes no sense to me. Some I am sure would be happier if we just left them alone instead of bringing them out again.

I mean, I'm not about Zerker dps, but as soon as we can compete, you pull it out from under us.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The dots that got a damage reduction in the latest patch are still doing more damage than they did before the dot consolidation started.
  3. Mithra Augur

They aren't buffing or nerfing necros. They are revamping their dots so they don't have to cast 5 from the same line.
  4. Dwimmerlaike Elder

We can no longer cast 5 from a line. I am doing less damage and spending more mana to try to keep up with the same damage from yesterday which is less damage than I was doing on the patch before that. By definition that is being nerfed.
  5. Maedhros High King

relax, 15% less of absurdly high dps is still fantastic and easily keeps necros at the number 1 spot.

You must have missed a pretty big part of the patch. They are nerfing several lines, but they were overpowered so I would rather call it making a positive change to the balance.
    Vaniddar, Scornfire, minimind and 3 others like this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I weep for Necro DPS.

RIP Necros.

The sorrow fills my heart.

I weep for Necro DPS.
  7. Slasher Augur

15% less damage yet still 80% higher dps than anyone else I weep for necros. :rolleyes:
    Coagagin, Smokeydistic and Skuz like this.
  8. Dwimmerlaike Elder

Not even remotely 80% higher than everyone else unless you know people at 115 in cohorts hitting auto-attack. Maybe they should just give us discs, and we can keybind 10+ discs to a single key and we can spam that for our dps and be at the top. Like another class has. For years.
  9. kizant Augur

The revamp started a year ago not two patches ago. You're doing more damage and need less slots than before it started. Should be glad.
    Ssdar, FawnTemplar, Duder and 5 others like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Your complaining is entirely risible, Necromancers are doing just fine & thankfully the vast majority of them are smart enough to not do what you have here.

Save your tears, you are going to need them when the real nerfs start landing.
    Coagagin, Duder and Smokeydistic like this.
  11. Prymal Journeyman

The consolidation of the wound line was expected. I haven't logged in yet, but what caught my eye was the secondary effects were not changed. To me, this reads that, say, Septic Wounds' secondary effect is still the same, but because we can no longer stack, we will not see the stacking of the other secondary effects from the other wounds lines. This will equal a fairly large DPS drop.

But then again, I'm at work still and probably misread it. Right now the other changes to the spell line for grouping is nagging at me. Hopefully the wounds line will be consolidated well, which means I'm happy to drop four other slots for pet management or other spells lines like rune' taps etc.
  12. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Only really hurts soloing /kiting. We just have to cast 7 dots and nuke with blood from now on.

Everyone thinks the linking of dot lines is doing US a favor. Don’t expect them to understand.
    Many expansions ago we often had to cast lower level dots for mana consumption. I suggest using that technique instead of just all max level dots. You should have less downtime.
    My average kite time last night in Lcae was about 2.3 minutes mob 3-4 mobs at a time.

Good luck.
  13. bobokatt Augur

No you did NOT misread. The change (consolidation) of the Wounds line was the BIGGEST hit to our DPS. Although they reduced the damage of other DOTs by roughly 15% (and that was expected) and also reduced the mana cost for those (thank you), again, the Wounds line is the biggest loss.

Although they increased the front load of the Wounds (and increased the mana cost considerably), the biggest loss of DPS is that they did NOT consolidate the "proliferation" line that comes after it. No one cared before for the dinky front load of the damage from the 5 stacked DOTs from the Wounds line. It was the stacked proliforations that would hit after a set amount of time that made the difference, while timing burns and other big DOTs accordingly, to push out the DPS.

This won't affect any Necro that groups, as NO Wound spell would ever last long enough to ploliferate before the mob would die. This just makes it harder/longer/more mana intensive/less overal DPS for someone root rotting multiple mobs or raiding necros

However, they did consolidate the Scourge line and it's now a viable DOT if you are dealing with undead. I wish the Miasma line was actually worth using. I can't remember the LAST time I ever saw a "plant" mob.

As in all things EQ, we just adapt. Now it's more in the sequence of DOTs really, using Blood line, hoping for Gift of Manas etc., and mana conservation vs time to kill a mob, and using pet more for tanking and having space for pet heals/runes etc.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

It was never about buffing necros. Necros didnt need buffing.
    Duder, Szilent, Sancus and 3 others like this.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

We need to give you a pay raise, but we're not sure how much, so we're going to give you a 10% raise, and pull it back to the appropriate amount later. Enjoy the extra for a bit, just understand it's not sustainable.

Okay, we worked it out, we can afford an 8% raise. We hoped you enjoyed the extra 2% while we worked out the math.

Wtfux0rz. I totally got used to my elevated standard of living even though I knew ahead of time that it wasn't my long term budget.

Definition of looking a gift horse in the mouth.
  16. Finen Elder

Most other DoT's do more than Scourge does on undead targets, making it a low priority DoT even on undead. In current group content there are very few undead mobs that will long enough for a necro to get around to casting such a low priority DoT.
  17. bobokatt Augur

Indeed Finen, to each their own. However, Scourge of Destiny (rank 3 at least), MANA: 2850. Decrease Current HP by 7837 per tick (If Vampire or Undead). For those that are still finishing up TOV which had MOST mobs undead and trying to keep the mana cost down, Scourge is still viable (in a root rot scenario). Not undead, a hard pass from me bro, I get it.

I am not saying it's the BEST, but for its LOW mana cost and even though it has a long recast, in a rotation in root rotting TOV for example, it certainly has its place.

If we can no longer plug up our spell mem line with 5 Wounds, why not add it if dealing with undead? With raid focus and Tonic etc, it's 10 ticks -- for 2850 mana it's a pittance compared to other lines these days.

What sucks is that it's a level 108 spell so if you GET a Gift of Mana it's useless for the rest of your 111+ spells and it does not have a Type 3 Faycite.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Damn, son.
    Maedhros and Skuz like this.
  19. Elvenphox Lorekeeper

The group that I grind with sees DPS something like this when not burning:
    SK - 450k
    Zerker - 400k
    Zerker - 380k
    Necro - 290k
    Bard - 200k
    Shaman - 50k

On burns, the necro does comparatively better, mostly because the named last a bit longer, but for those that saying necro is fine (I'm talking about group game, mind you), is the necro not pulling his weight? I'd rather fill his slot with another melee if I'm supposed to just accept 25-30% less DPS.
    Dwimmerlaike likes this.
  20. Viper1 Augur

you got 2 zerks and melee adps to support them, ofc you're going to see them way ahead of the necro. Put your nec with an enchanter and a druid and they'll perform much better. But if that is your group, then you probably are better off adding another melee that will benefit from the adps more than the nec.