Mischief/Thornblade Shared Character Name List

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pinbin, May 19, 2021.

1. Pinbin Journeyman

Since Mischief and Thornblade are launching concurrently would it be possible for both servers to use the same list of "taken" character names? That way when the servers are inevitably merged no one will lose their character name. This would have the disadvantage of less names being available on each server day 1, but it will eventually pay off because you can be assured to keep your name post-merger. I think it will also make people feel better about playing on Thornblade vs. Mischief, without fear of losing your name eventually, and could contribute to a more even population split.

Thoughts?
  2. Vindaven Elder

From 1 Year Ago: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/update-on-server-merges-faq.265661/

Character name issues will be mostly moot if the past is an indicator of the future. And it doesn't matter what server you choose.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  3. Pinbin Journeyman

EDIT: I see what you are saying now, someone will still lose their name, but there is no preference toward one server or the other.

I disagree. I can see certain situations where even with the rules above an active player could fear lose their character name during a merge. Even that perception will make some players have a preference toward Mischief. And unbalanced populations can have a big effect on queue times for the first few weeks after launch.

This isn't my idea by the way, it was used on P99 during Green/Teal launch.
  4. Lejaun Augur

Server merge won't matter. See the above posted info by Vindaven. Highest play time ultimately counts.
    Vindaven likes this.
  5. Machen New Member

The flip side is, it will likely be easier to have a higher number of minutes played on Thornblade. If Thornblade is lower pop, the time will come sooner when there is no queue, and no autokick code, so you can leave your character logged in 24/7 and wrack up the /played
    Raptorjesus5 and Vindaven like this.
  6. Pinbin Journeyman

The problem comes when you have two active players with the same name on both servers. See my post above.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

People definitely worry about their precious character names far too much imho.
  8. Lejaun Augur

No it doesn't.

First check: Has each player logged in within 60 day so of the merge.
    If no for one of them, then the other gets the name.

Second check: If yes for both of them, the one with the most minutes played gets the name.
    Vindaven likes this.
  9. Pinbin Journeyman

Ahh, I see the point now, that's true. Still someone loses their name.
  10. Pinbin Journeyman

Heh, well like it or not, its a thing. At least I was wrong about it creating a bias toward one server or the other, as others have pointed out. Still it would be nice to avoid the conflict all together if these two servers are destined to be merged anyway.
  11. Pinbin Journeyman

Right, so "Womper" from Server1 with 101 days played gets the name over "Womper" with only 100 days played on Server2. That doesn't make the Womper from Server2 feel any better. At least as you have pointed out this doesn't create a bias toward one server or the other.
    Celestian likes this.
  12. Machen New Member

It would suck if you've been known by your guild by one name for the first year of the server, and then lose it and have to pick a different name post merge. Personally whenever people main change I always prefer them to name change the new main to the old name to make it easier to remember who they are.
  13. Lejaun Augur

Yeah, sucks for 100 day Womper, but that's the price you pay for using a name others might use.
  14. Vindaven Elder

Yes. In your method: someone never gets a name that they want, and one person does.

In DB's method both folks get the same name they want for a while, but when the servers merge it's about who has played within the last 2 months (maybe one of them quit)... and if both still play then it's about /played. Does not get more fair than that, imo.

Thank you for conceding that the server choice is largely irrelevant in DB's current method. :)
    Pinbin likes this.
  15. Machen New Member

Except it very well could, if Server 1 is more accessible and doesn't have autokick while Server 2 has queues and autokick. Maybe Womper from server1 was able to accumulate his 101 days by going afk in CL Tunnel every night, while Womper from Server2 had to actually be playing for all of his 100 days.
    Pinbin likes this.
  16. Lejaun Augur

Don't worry too much, folks. Drizzt can be spelled as Drizzitt instead if you lose your name.
    andross77 and Pinbin like this.
  17. Pinbin Journeyman

You're right that it is pretty fair, but I think the other way may be "more" fair. Just because, like me, most people are ignorant to the server merge name rules. To me it would be better to just never let them have the name at all, than "lose" it. And yeah, that comes down to the player's perception, but that does matter in a game. DB's way some players will eventually 'feel" like they lost something, and my way (really p99 way) they wont.
  18. Pinbin Journeyman

Well you're not wrong. But I guess that does depend on how far out the mergers are, some people are saying at least a year, or two. By that point I think that things will have mostly evened out enough for the more populated server's players to catch up on played time. I would bet that there will still be a few cases with very popular names being played by very active players where there could still be an issue, but probably only a few per server.
  19. Pinbin Journeyman

Yeah but Legolas with extra L and S are lame man ;).
  20. FrodeEQ Journeyman

As if the potential play time difference during launch due to queue is going to matter a year later. That would only be in theory an issue if both players play the whole year without breaks, in that rather impossible scenario yes the person with queue advantage would win. Trivial.
    Lejaun likes this.