Wizard Love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accipiter Old Timer

20 pages of wizard circle jerk. ;)
  2. Behelit Augur

wiz weapon stance incoming... lol
  3. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

You mean like the mancy lines wizards already have? That were combined from being player choices because they were oh so powerful.

Or maybe you meant the older familiar various flavors ... which again were combined because oh so powerful.

You've never really played a wizard, have you?
    Coagagin likes this.
  4. Behelit Augur

lol wut? you clearly have no idea what my post was in reference to so not even gonna bother explaining it to you.
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I wouldn't go that far.

I would just say that any sort of theoretical wizard revamp would include things like eliminating spells that serve no purpose in the modern game and/or retooling said spells to be actually useful and worth casting.

The same could be said for every class really, though I might suggest we have a larger than average spellbook of weak spells.
    Andarriel likes this.
  6. Warpeace Augur

You joke, but wait until next months patch.:D
    kizant likes this.
  7. Cimbaeth Elder

So I tried the advice I was given by Kizant and from the info on his parse and frankly I don't even see how his parse as posted on (I meant Tantor) was even possible, except by halfing the general time of the raid IE- that's more of a everyone else's dps issue- by halfing the time taken it increased his average dps number ie per second not overall damage. I tried the tactics and spell casting (including multi binds) that he used on that Tantor parse on ours last night, and while I easily pulled ahead of the other wizards (also we didnt have a mage or a bard) except for one, and according to parse I got the most overall damage, it wasn't 1 million dps it was 500k. I can easily pull 1.5 million dps on group content- burst- but not on raids, the timeframe is too long. Even with spamming the crap out of vortex, having 3 other wizards in group spamming the crap out of vortex, spamming claw, beaming, pillars etc- seems pretty much to have the same effect and same dps output as chaining ethereals with ocassional; vortexes and claws. So...my conclusion is that telling me I'm doing it all wrong is bu ll ****. Wizards need an upgrade.
  8. Sancus Augur

It was Tantor.
    Our Tantor was 536 seconds, as you can see in the parse Kizant posted. The original Tantor parse that you had, which sparked this conversation, was 625 seconds long:
    That is sixteen percent longer. For reference, if Kizant did damage for 536 seconds and then stopped attacking for the remaining 89 seconds, he would have been at 902,185 DPS.
    Jondalar likes this.
  9. Cimbaeth Elder

Combined: A primal guardian on 05/18/21

Cimbaeth - 174
    --- Arcane Destruction VII - 1
    --- Arcane Fury V - 1
    --- Bifold Focus - 2
    --- Blazing Infiltration IX - 0
    --- Blessing of Unity - 1
    --- Claw of Sontalak Rk. III - 7
    --- Ethereal Brand Rk. III - 39
    --- Ethereal Confluence - 14
    --- Fiery Pillar Rk. III - 20
    --- Flashbrand Rk. III - 1
    --- Focus of Arcanum VII - 1
    --- Forceful Rejuvenation - 1
    --- Frenzied Devastation XXXI - 1
    --- Frostbound Coalition Rk. III - 8
    --- Fury of the Gods LIV - 1
    --- Grace of Unity - 1
    --- Idyllic Gambit Rk. III - 1
    --- Improved Twincast VIII - 1
    --- Received Auspice of the Hunter - 3
    --- Received Chromatic Haze - 1
    --- Received Chromatic Haze Proc - 7
    --- Received Illusions of Grandeur - 1
    --- Received Paragon - 4
    --- Received Twincast - 3
    --- Restless Ice Comet Rk. III - 19
    --- Scorching Beam Rk. III - 28
    --- Silent Casting VI - 1
    --- Spire of Arcanum XII - 1
    --- Thaumaturgic Vortex Rk. III - 20
    --- Twincast Rk. III - 3
    --- Weave of Reclamation - 1

Produced by GamParse v2.0.0.99 BETA
    me: 341,142,119 mil @441,880 in 772 secs

Wiz 2: 258,629,033 mil @346,887
    Wiz 3: 239,220,206 mil @317,268
    Wiz 4: 203,274,778 mil @270,312

Here: I changed my casting according to you guys telling me I was doing it all wrong. Not much of a difference at all.
  10. kizant Augur

It was a Tantor parse like Sancus mentioned but I never said that you would have the exact same DPS as me. My ADPS is likely significantly better than yours but you should at least get into the top 20 and improve on what you had been doing before.

However, I don't think I called out pillars as something you should use. The second best AE for you would be self-incineration. Pillars are OK if you know you're going to hit 4 mobs but it's only a tiny bit more DPS and it's way easier to mess up with them. I'd stick to beam and try adding one additional AE at a time as you get better at making sure you're going to get in enough hits for them to help. The third AE would be the level 100 splash. The level 95 one can actually do more damage but it's also a lot harder to use and may not be worth the effort.
    Lophophora, Jondalar and Sancus like this.
  11. Dropfast Augur

I know nothing about wizards but I know they need some Love! That's really not debatable.

I could be wrong here but I do remember about 2-3 years ago? A ninja nerf to Wizzy, that was never even talked about or brought up before was in a random patch and ever since then they have sucked. It made no sense either as they were only topping parses once in while, they were right about where they should have been. Then out of no where, BAM nerf bat. Could it be as easy as un-nerfing whatever it was they nerfed? I know it was some kind of nice power-up, an AA I believe.
  12. Cimbaeth Elder

I know all about using AEs, Thanks. I used Pillars because I was trying to not be under Tantor and the adds. Self Incineration is only good for close range and Level 100 Splash requires time to pinpoint the targeting ring, it's not easily spammable. I know I wasn't hitting 4 mobs and that's why I said at the start of this that I felt not using AE's on the tantor fight was more efficient. I came out with roughly the same dps my old way vs Aeing.
  13. Cimbaeth Elder

^ Dropfast is probably thinking of when they nerfed / adjusted Arcane (Destruction) from being a shield against what was it 9999 melee hits? LOL. If I am partly to blame for that nerf at least I had fun doing it. At the time the raid guild I was in tried the Chelsith raid and we were at 10% or so on the final boss and the raid ... wiped... except for the wizards who had arcane fusion going, so we (me and two other wizards) traded off tanking the boss with Arcane Destruction until people got back up then we finished it. Yeah, that needed nerfed probably.
  14. Biltene Kingslayer

You were given advice, you took some to heart, but then decide you're going to use Pillars as an AE, even though it was never mentioned. Then you discard the advice you were given as being wrong because your DPS didn't change much, when you used spells that were not part of the advice. Self-incineration is better than Pillars, and you should be in range because you should be meleeing as well. Also, you mean Arcane Destruction. Arcane Fusion was nerfed yes, but it wasn't something you activated and never had a shield component. And Arcane Destruction still does have a damage block component.
  15. Dropfast Augur

Naw I was talking about something offensive that pretty greatly effected DPS. Not some kind of shield. All I remember is Wizzy was doing great for a while, then some ninja nerf, and overnight they sucked and stayed that way. Or maybe I'm just burnt ><
    Mongol311 likes this.
  16. Cimbaeth Elder

Meleeing wizards and mages almost always die (not what I would call unexpectedly) and I laugh at them. Then they get annoyed that they died and go back to meleeing and die again. Wizards are ranged dps and a dead wizard does vastly less dps than a not dead wizard. We had a mage that would always gush about the benefits of meleeing on raids and then would almost always die suddenly in the middle of a raid or sometimes 3 or 4 times. Raids that she didn't die on she would have a pretty good parse, usually right behind mine. The moral that I gathered from watching all that is that meleeing kills. Which is again, against plenty of advice on here but live wizard > dead wizard.
  17. kizant Augur

For splash what I do is just bind it to a key and then I hit that key and click on the screen at roughly the same time. It doesn't slow down things very much. If you look at this video starting around 1:40 you can see how I backup for beam then move up for splash and it casts quick.

Cadira likes this.
  18. kizant Augur

Also, for meleeing, that's one of the reasons why Wizards really should get NET. Not only do we have the highest crit mods and fury of gods to get the best procs we also could use the extra healing from it. Which is pretty significant if you look at the numbers it heals for.
  19. Jondalar Augur

Odd. I never see our melee wizards/mages dying from melee. They parse better too. Unless they are obviously just lying.
    Szilent, Behelit and Sancus like this.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

What is "NET" ? :confused:
    Jondalar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.