Mischief/Thornblade Merger.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zinkeh, May 18, 2021.

1. Zinkeh Augur

So just wanted to verify as we're getting close: Mischief will be the main server that everyone and their mom will try to get onto and Thornblade will be the overflow server that folks hop onto once they get tired of 8 hour queues and disconnects and a crammed to the gills Mischief, correct?

Have they said when they will combine the two? I figured I'd just go straight to Thornblade to beat the crowds but I don't want to essentially be stuck there for months while all the action is on mischief if they don't decide to merge somewhere soon after the rush.
  2. Bardy McFly Augur

Depending on your goals, there is value to be placed on the server with less drama.
    Xanathol likes this.
  3. Captain Video Augur

They have not said, at least so far, that the two would ever be combined. Merging two free-trade servers could be tricky business if their economies do not match up well.
  4. Vaile Journeyman

Looks like a fair amount of guilds are leaning Thornblade, I think a couple have swapped from planning on mischief to thorn so I’m not sure how much of a difference there will end up being. Gonna be weird if mischief ends up being the calmer of the two lol.
  5. Lejaun Augur

The scenario I imagine is both are open for at least one year. If they are still busy, both stay open longer. If the populations decline on both, or one drastically declines, they combine the two and use the server when they release 2022's TLPs.

I predict both will be around and not combined until 2023 or 2024 TLPs are released.

Huge value in going to the smaller server if you are someone who plans on getting most of your gear yourself. More camps available and less people to contest it.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think that is something that they will care about and pretty sure dreamweaver and others have said that they will be merged back up when the population allows for it.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  7. a_librarian Augur

It's pretty obvious they wanted the launch to work with only one server, so they probably have reason for only wanting one. I expect they'll merge as soon as they can justify it, probably mid PoP era if I had to guess so it's out of the way ahead of the next server launch.
  8. FAQ Test New Member

One week after launch they will swap the names of the servers and people will never be sure which is the "main" server.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  9. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

they stated that a merger would only happen once one server is dead.. and it can only happen around summer time each year... so earliest merger is 2022, and i think it would still be alive by then even if slightly wounded... so 2023 is more likely to be merger time at the earliest.
  10. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

11. taliefer Augur

Thornblade isnt the same as tradtional "overflow" or second servers have been in the past. none of those servers were opened up at the same time as the original server, like is happening here. The previous servers were kneejerk reactions when players were already somewhat established on the original server.

Like, if the playerbase still trys to all pile into mischief and its a shitshow, only got ourselves to blame this time. They gave plenty of notice that 2 servers will be opening, not DPGs fault if people cant split themselves up.

and I firmly believe if the playerbase splits itself even remotely close to 50/50 then neither server will need a merge anytime soon, certainly not in 2022.
  12. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I'm really curious if they ever fixed the bug where if too many traders were in bazaar then typing /bazaar would crash your client. Did it come up on Aradune or Mangler when they were in Luclin? I want to say we encountered it as far back as Phinny as the rush of people to setup traders happened.

NM it got fixed in 2016 :( . Maybe we can break it if we go over 1000 though!?
  13. Nolrog Augur

I don't agree with this. Since they are releasing both at the same time, people will spread out between the two. I believe in the past, the second server came out a few days later, so the population was concentrated on the first.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Slipp New Member

So wait, how do you know which server will have less drama? The future is hard to predict these days.
  15. Rolento23 Journeyman

Based on how much demand there is for these servers. I don't see how Thornblade can be considered overflow. It seems so far just based recruitment and forum posts, Thornblade will be just as healthy population wise as Mistchief. TBH Thornblade sounds like the better option if you want to get in and play asap
    Skuz likes this.
  16. Bardy McFly Augur

We won't know until after the servers launch and we see what guilds settle where. Honestly, I may even just give it a week before deciding for sure which server to play on. I'm in no rush to be server first at anything so I could care less about getting to cap a week or two after the masses. Being on the less crowded and less intense server is more important to me.
  17. Zinkeh Augur

Ah damn sorry folks. I'd read the original announcement where Thornblade was going to only be a launch overflow server. I just read the updated announcement saying Thornblade was going to be a standalone server rather than the original overflow plan.

Hmmm so now wheeeerrre to start lol.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

If I recall, it had a 255 limit, the size of a char. They no doubt changed it to an int so we'll have to go over 2,147,483,647. Unless it's unsigned, then it's double that. ;)