Fresh TLP vs P99

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by IronShep, Apr 27, 2021.

1. IronShep New Member

Can someone familiar with both sum up the differences. Debating on rolling on the fresh TLP but my only recent experience is with P99.
  2. Protagonist Tank

TLPs are modern EQ played in classic EQ zones.

P99 is classic EQ, played by the worst members of a 4chan discussion thread.
    Karasu, Karreck, Baratu and 6 others like this.
  3. Jontrann Augur

P99 if you want a real oldschool eq experience
    TLP if you want themepark zoom zoom super fast get max level in 1 week experience
  4. Protagonist Tank

With the new tlp, both will be RMT to win at least.
  5. Valanie Lorekeeper

I would also add p99 has none of the kinder features that have been changed over the years. So hybrid penalties, race penalties, corpse runs, no maps, no custom ui's, etc.

Also, p99 is HEAVILY enforced by the GM's. So people follow the rules. And raiding is all batphone at every hour of the day, so it can be brutal. But it is definitely more classic. I would also argue that behavior and reputation matters a lot more on p99 since on TLP you can ks, steal camps, and many people get away with cheating.
  6. Barder-mangler Augur

If you are familiar with P99- you will definitely enjoy numerous QOL upgrades coming to a TLP. Aside from server stability/automated botting issues, I prefer official TLPs in all other areas. You 100% should play on Mischief, it's a really unique ruleset I doubt we'll ever see again.
  7. Brunlin Augur

There are some bad actors over at p99. For the most part the p99 crowd is a good group of people. The tlps have far more toxic people than p99 ever had. Some of the people here rivals the toxicity of p99 red tbh. That being said there are good people here too.

Yea OP, the difference is Luclin graphics (which can be turned off).

You don't have to worry about corpse runs anymore.

You can still take the boats if you want but it is easier to just talk to the translocator npc on the docks for a instant port to the next dock.

Full groups are the best way to xp. The xp for grouping is much different in P99.Here it is split 5 ways and the 6th man still gets a full split. The xp modifier is a lot higher as well. On p99 it is split 6 ways and the xp modifier is lower. Not to mention on P99 the race/class xp modifier is also a factor in the group xp.

We don't have any class/race xp modifiers.

No hell levels.

Guids can have their own private instance raid once per week and do not have to contend with poop socking or another guild waiting for you to clear trash just so they can hop over you and take the raid target down.

If zones get to full, another copy of that zone is created and its called a pick. You can /pick your group over to a less populated copy of that zone.

I can go on and on tbh but you get the jist. P99 and here maybe the same game, but once you play here you will see that they are widely different in experiences.

This server is going to be a lot different than the other tlps as well.
  8. IronShep New Member

Thanks for replies.

Ya I have raided on P99 it's a joke. Nice to see all the exp penalties have dropped off.

Are the classes gonna play similar to how they do warrior struggle with aggro, chanters are op, and so on?

On live I noticed spells are gained on different levels is that the case? Are some still research only?

Are epics hard to obtain some are basically locked down on p99?

Thanks
  9. CyryllisFenninRo Lorekeeper

Warrior struggle with aggro early on, I think there's still some spammable instant clicks that are generating aggro but many were nerfed.

Ench charm is nerfed a bit, pet damage is reduced. Also all color Flux line stuns share a cooldown now. They are still very powerful in group content but horribly boring in raids for the most part.

Most classes play very similar to p99 except for the fact that melee classes are significantly stronger on TLP due to years of adjustments to their damage tables. Side note: rogues suck for first 2 expansions and don't really offer much benefit to a group vs any other melee dps. Play one if you love the class and hate yourself. Or if you just want to suck up all the rogue loot easily.

Some spells are still research only. Spell research is a whole separate tradeskill now and it's generally only worth doing yourself if you are aggressive about crafting highly sought after spells immediately upon expansion launch to make good profit. Also yes, spell levels are completely changed now...no more 4-5 levels between them.

Epics are much easier to obtain for many classes, unless you are an enchanter, shadowknight, or wizard.
  10. IronShep New Member

Interesting about the rogue they own the DPS charts on p99.
  11. Ranger1985 New Member

Monks are by far the dps kings until very late in a servers life. Other classes like wizard, rogue and ranger have expacs where they contend but generally raid dps crown goes to monk. In groups the pet classes shine for the rush to 50 but by kunark the melee are by far better group dps unless the caster has a charm pet.

Mage and necro pet tanking is also massively nerfed compared to p99.

Many damage spells and dots are hugely reworked compared to p99, dots all stack from different classes so necro is more viable and spells generally do more dps and cost less mana per damage dealt.
  12. narm New Member

Are shamans still the same? Also how much difference does troll regen do beyond velious? Does it fall off against ogre frontal stun immunity?
  13. Bardy McFly Augur

It's a pretty simple decision if you value quality of life improvements. Consider P99 to be oldschool hardcore mode. Having a map alone is enough reason to keep me away from P99.
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

P99 is close to classic EQ. TLP is more like Pantheon.
  15. Ramathorn New Member

If you get enjoyment out of end game raiding and logging in just to grind more loot, go with TLP. If the leveling process is nauseating to you, that’s another reason to join here.

If you’re enjoyment comes from the leveling process, making friends, building relationships, and more challenges to persevere through, go with P99.

I love both equally, they are just too different to say one over the other though.
  16. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Tradeskills don't feel quite so much like the devs hate you on TLPs.
    Karreck, Skuz and Loze like this.
  17. Loze Elder

More like a strong dislike.
  18. Sycopata Elder

p99 is nice, but you feel bad, wen you have to kill a yellow mob, and you have no idea what lvl are.

There are alot thinks normalized in TLP that you miss in P99.

the other coin side, are you can meditate in mid of a fight, and this not happen in TLP.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Same play mechanics, spell tables on TLP are stronger than on P99 plus there have been revamps of some DoT lines for Shaman that P99 has not had which make DPS from Shaman much stronger.

Play the race you enjoy most, while Troll Regen is useful (as is Iksar regen+AC once Kunark opens) it is not worth worrying about a great deal.
    Stun immunity for Ogres...again it's useful but not a deal breaker but it will depend more on what you plan to do & how you expect to play.
    If you plan on Soloing a lot as Shaman then yes Ogre Frontal Stun Immunity can be really helpful & will remain useful, if you don't plan on soloing a lot don't worry about it.
    narm likes this.
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

Very strong dislike if you go above ~250ish lol
    Loze likes this.