Rare NPCs versus Named NPCS

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by aindriuc, May 18, 2021.

1. aindriuc Elder

From the server description the new servers are:

• Rare NPCs will drop loot from other NPCs of a similar level within the same expansion.
    • Rare NPCs have a greater chance of spawning
    Someone mentioned people are getting mixed up about RARE mobs versus NAMED mobs. Can anyone clarify?
    Also the description says "Rare NPCs will drop loot from other NPCs of a similar level". It doesn't say Rare NPCs will drop loot from other "RARE NPCs". Is this what is meant though?
    Thanks,
  2. coltongrundy Augur

Rare mobs are specifically flagged in the game as being rare. When you /con them the message will say "a rare creature" in it. People seem to think that every named mob in this game is going to have randomized loot on Mischief/Thornblade. For example, I've seen many people throwing Emperor Crush and Ambassador DVinn out there. Those 2 NPCs are not rare mobs, but they are "named" mobs as they have a proper name and not something generic like 'an orc emperor'.

Based on what we've been told about the server, only "rare" mobs will have randomized loot, so Emperor Crush should still be dropping his normal loot table.
  3. Bardy McFly Augur

We won't know until the server launches unless there is an official statement from DPG on how the ruleset affects specific mobs. Anything anyone else says is pure speculation.
    Skuz likes this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Rare NPCs refer to those added to hunter achievements a few years back, these are SUPPOSED to be NPCs that only have a chance to spawn that also have some kind of specific loot drop. Named is a player term for pretty much anything that isn't a trash mob (loot dropper, quest mob, etc).

You can /con a creature ingame to see if it has a rare tag or look through the ingame hunter achievements to see what is marked as a rare. As for the description, probably? Nobody on these forums without a red name can give you a 100% answer we can only make educated guesses.

If you don't want to look up every zone I already made a spreadsheet with most named sorted by level for classic, along with some other tabs with other information you might find useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o9tyiIjWnXYII1sNs1szDo3hAwJyghnP8Ybbrt19Cb0/edit#gid=0
    Appren, Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.
  5. coltongrundy Augur

There was an official statement from DPG, it's in the server announcement post. Rare mobs and raid mobs have loot randomized.
  6. Bardy McFly Augur

Also, as a side note, I hope all non-quest drops are randomized regardless of previously existing specific rare flag. Just my 2c on how to prevent non-epic mob camping. Epics will still be painful early on.
  7. Bardy McFly Augur

The grey area is what exactly they mean by "rare mob". Previous definition and flag of rare mob does not guarantee these servers follow that. This is why I recommend people be cautious with expectations.
  8. coltongrundy Augur

1. there are in-game messages that tell you if a mob is rare or not.
    2. there's an achievement in game for killing rare mobs.
    3. there are game events where rare mobs have an increased spawn chance
    Every single one of these instances that refer to rare mobs is referring to the exact same set of mobs. Why are we suddenly pretending that rare mobs are undefined and could be anything now?
  9. Bardy McFly Augur

I'm just recommending people don't *assume* that is the only flag that will be used. There are plenty of mobs that really should have their drops randomized that would be missed if that's all they do.
  10. Mithra Augur

People really want that Emperor Crush and Ambassador DVinn loot randomized. After all they do have placeholders and specific loot drops like a real rare mob.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

It's all just speculation, but I think you're being too literal. Yes, they said "rare" mobs but it's premature to assume that only those mobs flagged as rare qualify. Just my opinion.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  12. Mattling Elder

Can you clarify something for me?

Your list has Fippy Darkpaw listed as a rare but he's the only Darkpaw on the list. Now I know between North Qeynos and Black burrow, there's actually like 7 Darkpaws in total. Are the rest of them not listed as rare or is it just nobody has taken the time to record that information?
  13. Mithra Augur

Fippy isn't a rare mob. None of the Darkpaws are, in fact Blackburrow has 0 rare mobs.
  14. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Yeah what Mithra said. I have some mobs on that list that aren't flagged as Rare and instead included them because they have Fabled versions that spawn later in the game (because someone at SOE at some point decided they were important enough). These fabled/iconic NPCs probably won't be randomized but I included them for classic because it wasn't much more work to do and we will quickly know May 26th if they should be removed.

These are distinguished from the TAG column.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

Came as news to me that Hadden wasn't flagged as rare either. But by all accounts the rare flag was introduced to allow the charm nerf.... of which Hadden has to be one of the most charmed/griefed mobs in early eq.
  16. Mithra Augur

Having a placeholder you can kill seems to be one of the requirements for being a rare mob.
  17. coltongrundy Augur

It's not speculation. It's literally what the server announcement said. I'm the only one who is not speculating about what "rare" means when they have used a consistent definition for it.
  18. Mithra Augur

Did you read the announcement? It also says they may add other special case randomizations.
  19. coltongrundy Augur

Darkpaw could say: We are reverting Nektulos back to the original version of the zone.
    I'd be like: Cool, we got old Nektulos back.
    You would say: We don't know what that means. It could literally mean any zone in the game. That's just purely speculation on your part for what "Nektulos" means. We'll just have to wait and see what zone gets reverted back.
    Me: Uhh but they actually told us which zone it is...
    You: The word "Nektulos" is so nebulous and vague. There's really no telling which zone they could be referring to. I'm just telling people not to make assumptions until we actually see which zone it is.

The word "rare" actually already has a consistent definition in the game when referring to NPCs. We know which mobs are "rare" and which mobs are not "rare". If you want to take the assumption that they are lying to us about which mobs will have randomized loot, that's fine. But now you're the one making assumptions not me.

I'm just citing the actual server ruleset announcement.
  20. Crabman Augur

• The Mischief server is a new experimental server that randomizes loot.
    • Rare NPCs will drop loot from other NPCs of a similar level within the same expansion.
    • Raids will drop loot from other raid NPCs of a similar level within the same expansion.
    • We may add other special case randomization.
    • Rare NPCs have a greater chance of spawning.
    Based on the 4 non-bold/underline/red/enlarged bullet points, I would agree with you, its pretty straight forward. But that last one is where people are bringing up other mobs that do not con rare, or have a hunter achievement that otherwise act like rare mobs, have special loot/placeholder/cannot be charmed ect... thats what everyone but you is talking about right now.
    Bardy McFly likes this.