please devs make a boxing server as a 3rd tlp option.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by mark, May 13, 2021.

1. Kylo Classic Augur

How many times does DPG have to say NO before you understand.
  2. Kylo Classic Augur

You first.
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm not buying that argument. It's way too early to make that call. Mischief is what they decided on for this year. That doesn't mean in any way that Rizlona is a failure (or even a non-success).
    Bardy McFly and Machen like this.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

It will be to start. Whether it has legs remains to be seen.
  5. Gremin Augur

A Mischief boxing server would not draw a good portion from Rizlona imo. We are invested at this point, in Planes of Power, server is pretty chill, and helpful to one another. If anything I am hoping the 2 new servers take some of our trash with em.
    Machen likes this.
  6. Yteran Lorekeeper

I don't even see a point to a boxing ruleset. Truebox protection is a joke, everyone who wants to get past it, gets past it, and legitimate players have issues with truebox disconnections, as evidenced by past posts on this forum detailing how to trigger it.

The community doesn't even care about the vast majority of boxing ANYWAY (almost everyone has at least a second account?) and neither does DBG because on live it is basically MANDATORY for the first 105 levels.

The only thing the community cares about is that there isn't one guy running multiple groups of bots permacamping named, powerleveling or raiding. Running bots is a rule violation WITHOUT truebox protection, even on live!

Mangler had one guy running a raid squad and RMTing potime gear. So does Aradune.

Why do we have truebox at all again? We need to focus on that, I think.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

"Magefire"
    Kylo Classic, OldTimeEQ1 and Appren like this.
  8. Kahna Augur

I am not saying it was a failure. I'm not even saying it wasn't a success. It wasn't a RUNAWAY success. It's success wasn't so overwhelming that it opened DPG's eyes to the potential of opening a boxing server to mirror every server they made and make them get over their intense dislike of large scale boxing in their game. Hence the one off nature. They may toss out another boxing server in the future, but I wouldn't bank on it being a common occurrence.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Neuro Elder

The entire reason Rizlona exists is because Aradune was touted as a Two-box server. As such, they decided to be fair and give the boxers a full boxing server, to accommodate both playstyles.

Unfortunately, Two-box servers appear to be insanely hard to enforce, as Aradune has plenty of boxing armies despite the fact that an identical boxing server opened up along side it. So, the next two are Truebox; you can box multiples if you want, but they have to be on individual machines.

Maybe if those box armies had stayed off of Aradune and went to Rizlona like they were supposed to, you could have another boxing server. But they didn't, and this is why we can't have nice things.
  10. Machen New Member

Yeah, except that is a completely bs argument because they have since eliminated all the "magefire" advantages by changes to motm. The fact that 1-3 players could beat raid content with mage pets in the past is not a reason for restricting boxing in the present when all the mechanics have been changed.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  11. Machen New Member

No. Boxers have been asking for a boxing friendly server for years, going back to the very date truebox was announced for Phinigel. DPG discussed the possibility long before Aradune came into existence.
  12. Neuro Elder

I know, but the reason Rizlona was created THIS time was because of Aradune's "Two-box" ruleset. They knew that by restricting Aradune, there would be a large amount of the population who wanted to box more than 2, and they would either try and circumvent the restriction, or DG could set up a second server giving them free reign to box, in order to take the pressure off of Aradune.

Sadly, it didn't work, as plenty of boxers still went to Aradune, whether it was because they felt 3+ boxing would give them an advantage over other players who played legit, or because they were krono farmers and the Two-box server would have greater demand for items. Either way, the setup didn't work, and boxers still flocked to Aradune and the GMs didn't have the resources to adequately police the Two-box policy.
  13. Kylo Classic Augur

How does that prove your point?
  14. Neuro Elder

Prove what point? I'm not advocating for a non-truebox server, so there's no point to be made. I simply said that Rizlona was created because Aradune was so boxing restrictive that they made a boxing-friendly server to compensate.
  15. Yteran Lorekeeper

That's part of my point. Truebox doesn't actually address any of the problems, and in fact, truebox works out better for those that are willing to abuse third party automation tools/show eq/virtual machines and key broadcasting. Why? Because at the end of the day, a dedicated and driven boxer has a much larger economic advantage on a truebox server as most players aren't going through the trouble to box, and thus, have a much smaller economic footprint (and a much greater demand for what the boxer can farm easily.)

Instead of truebox, having hard, fast and very straightforward rules regarding third party programs would go a lot further in solving the actual issues. Darkpaw says 'no third party programs' but they don't enforce it, and we all know that. Maybe if they did, we could box the way we as honest players want to.

Bottom line, this is what truebox really does: for 99% of the playerbase, it increases the barrier of entry into boxing exponentially, because they have to spend resources on additional computers and electricity to do it. Maybe this is what people like Skuz (and RMTers) want, but I don't think it's what the majority of the community wants.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What I want is for Truebox to be an on / off deal because there is a sizable shift from pre PoP to Post-PoP content.

What I mean by that is that the early game has a vastly larger amount of open-world content where boxers will conflict with regular groups far more often & be much more dissruptive without Truebox keeping all but the most persistent out.

After Planes of Power you have instances LDoN, GoD and onwards feature instancing so that is when boxing then comes into conflict with open-world playing a lot less - there are far more places to get away from boxers if you want XP & loot & to not be dps racing versus boxers.

AoC DZ instances help out the raiders a lot to prevent them being in conflict with big boxers and the TLP tend to have one or two very large "zerg" guilds that make life for box armies (as well as other guilds) much more "slim pickings" but there is nothing there to stop boxers steam-rolling group content in open world other than Truebox keeping their numbers down "some" (it gets less effective with each new TLP as more people adopt the workarounds).

So rather than no Truebox I proposed switching it off at L70 when DoDH unlocks on TLP (L75 on a LLP) - which lines up with the era in which the one client per pc restriction was lifted on live servers.

All of this is why I want Truebox for early eras then switched off - I don't say this to give boxers & RMTers an advantage - it's about minimizing the damage that they do even while knowing you will never stop all of them. Yes that does inadvertently mean that it makes it more beneficial for boxers in the early eras if they can manage to line up 6 machines & 6 box or more but with no Truebox you create a scenario where everyone needs to be boxing to some degree for every camp they can get to, Truebox just lets there be a bit more breathing room for people who don't want to be forced into boxing at least for as long as the Pick up Grouping scene lasts - and that is usually dying or dead by OoW.

The very best way to devalue what krono farmers do is with the Random Loot idea that Mischief is going with because that (if done right) makes monopolization of highly valued target nameds virtually impossible to do as it creates far too much competition to make krono farming super-attractive - nobody can camp every single named in a level range in an expansion to control that valued item - monoplization of specific high value item nameds was something that they relied upon on prior TLP this loot system mitigates.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  17. Relentless Insomnia

Rizlona was a nice experiment, but I doubt you see another like it again. This is just my opinion.
  18. Gremin Augur

Truebox is nothing more than an illusion that Daybreak uses to placate the masses who are anti-boxers.
    Yteran likes this.
  19. Yteran Lorekeeper

That's my impression. It doesn't do what it was meant to do, that much is clear.

That people continue to defend something that doesn't work as intended, or worse yet, defend it but advocate for its removal after RMTers disappear, seems to imply that there are other less clear reasons for its existence.

I seem to recall games from the early 2000s (Quake 3 Arena?) having some third party cheat detection software. Maybe DBG should look into something like that, you know...if they were really interested in stopping the behavior and not just increasing barrier of entry and reducing competition. EQs code may be too old to detect what's going on elsewhere in the O/S, but something like battleye is not.
  20. Kylo Classic Augur

You had a vote between two rulesets. One was 2 box, and the other was multi box. More people went to the 2 box. I think that was what the majority wanted, 2 box.