Focus decay?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by nodontcarekkthxbye, May 15, 2021.

1. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Allakhazams claims that focuses decay at 5 percent per level over the cap. So, this means if you have a 20 percent spell haste that goes to level 70 it will be gone at 74? How exactly do these work for damage ones like 65 percent at 70 and 5 percent less per level so, 50 percent at level 74?

It doesnt seem to add up to this based off a quick glance when removing my spells.

Anyone know the real forumla?
  2. Riou EQResource

It is 5% of base value per level removed not a straight -5%
    Sancus likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If an item with a 50% focus decays at 5% per level it will lose 2.5% for each level the spell is above that cap and when it reaches 0% it stops working.

In your case your spell haste would be 16% if you cast a level 74 spell.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Definitely worded in a confusing way, now that they have the item stat compare maybe they can work on a focus compare. If you're lvl 74, its not intuitive if a 50% focus capped at lvl 70 with 5% decay is better or worse than a 45% focus capped at lvl 75.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Focus decay isn't based on your level, it is based on the level of the spell that you are casting and the game will pick the best focus for each spell you cast which could be a lower level raid one over a higher level group one.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

Right, let me re-word that.
    Assuming negligible stat differences on the 2 items, it's not obvious if you're better off using a lvl 70 capped focus of 50% with 5% decay vs a lvl 75 capped focus of 45% with a lvl 74 spell. Obviosuly the game will decide for you if you have both equipped but just trying to compare apples to apples on a focus is not always a quick check to which is better.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How is the game supposed to figure out which spell you are trying to focus so you can compare them? If you want to compare two different focus levels you will need to do it manually. As for your example since you are asking about 4 levels you can just take away 20% of the focus or reduce it from 50% to 40%.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah, I don't have that answer I'm just saying sometimes its not obvious. We can calculate it out, and the game obviously does too its just how do you setup the UI/visual representation? No clue.

My example was numbers pulled at random, just a coincidence that the math was easy in your head .
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

With a couple of tricks the math should never be that complicated as you are almost always dealing with 10% every two levels which is just sliding the decimal point on place to the left to find the new value.

The only time I ever see this as being an issue if you currently have a raid focus and are looking to replace it with a group focus. In the end there are some decisions that really are hard to help a player with.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  10. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Spell cast time, range and mana cost should be calculated in the inspect window of any spell so no calculations needed (believe that works even on TLPs). Can just swap gear, reinspect, and figure out which piece is better.

Damage focuses still have to be calculated out though.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Spell range, mana cost, and cast time already do this. Just right click and hold on your spell gem to see the effects of your worn focus. The only one it doesn't work on is ones where those numbers are listed in the spell description (duration, healing, and damage) instead of a data line.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Freaking jinx!
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Comparing them by swapping works great for items that you already own or are tradeable but won't work if you are considering an item that isn't tradeable.
  14. nodontcarekkthxbye Augur

Looks like im getting differing opinons. I still dont understand how to calculate it.

1-If an item has 20 percent mana preservation up to level 70 how much mana preservation does it have on a 75 spell?

2- If an item has 60 percent magic focus up to level 72, how much does it have on a 75 spell?
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

1) 10%
    2) 42%
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is incorrect.

Example 1 would lose 25% of the focus which ends up lowering it 5% after 5 levels and drop from 20% to 15%
    Example 2 would lose 15% of the focus which ends lowering it 18% after 3 levels and drop from 60% to 52%
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're right, I forgot they changed it from 10% to 5% in 2007, never been in old foci since then so forgot.
  18. Tweakfour17 Augur

So to further break it down...

1. Max level is 70, lost 5% per level, so at level 75
    (75-70 = 5 levels) * 5%/level = 25% loss
    The focus is 20% focus * (1-0.25) = 20% * 0.75 = 15% focus

2. 75-72 = 3 levels
    3 * 5%/level = 15%
    60 * (1-0.15) = 51% focus
    Sancus likes this.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I think that raid-focus that is 5 levels "too old" is more or less comparable to non-decayed group-focus. At least that is my rule of thumb.