Wizard Love

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kizant Augur

SPA 124 is very weak so I wouldn't worry about the focus. The ice ethereal also gains from seasons wrath and elemental arrow which are pretty strong. There's isn't an equivalent for magic nukes to those two things. Plus the cryo proc is better than arcomancy.

Definitely need a lot more claws like Sancus mentioned. Procing twincast is key to decent sustained DPS. Also, feel free to use beam on only 2 mobs. That's fine. It'll do better than flashburn or ice ethereal.

Even though it's not a great spell, Composite is useful once you're done twincasting. Especially if you still have some crit damage mod running but in a longer fight it is worth using. It'll definitely do better than flashburn or ice ethereal as well.

Our synergy is really strong so try to use vortex a little more. Plus you can try to focus on an add that isn't being damaged as much so you can get more out of it for yourself. I especially like using it when I proc twinast and I follow it up with flashburn to make sure I get extra out of the vortex effect.

Spire is on a 7.5m reuse so based on that fight length you should be getting in a 2nd one. Another thing I try to do is hit Frenzied Devestation 1+ minutes before the fight starts to try and get in a second one. But then in your case if you don't have as much ADPS on a longer fight you may want to wait and use it when you no longer have auspice.

Anyway, I think you can get a bit bit more DPS with just a few small changes really. Hopefully this give you some ideas to play with. Wizards are doing pretty bad at the moment but I don't want to the devs thinking we exaggerate things.
  2. Kelset Elder

Zlandicar on 3/31/2021

Casbar - 27
    --- Call of Xuzl XIX - 1
    --- Claw of Sontalak Rk. II - 6
    --- Ethereal Confluence - 2
    --- Flashbrand Rk. II - 5
    --- Force of Flame XII - 4
    --- Force of Ice XII - 1
    --- Force of Will XXIV - 1
    --- Frostbound Coalition Rk. II - 1
    --- Received Chromatic Haze - 1
    --- Restless Ice Comet Rk. II - 3
    --- Thaumaturgic Vortex Rk. II - 3

Produced by GamParse v2.0.0.99C BETA
    Testing Gamparse output.....
  3. Cimbaeth Elder

Huh. Sorry I sounded a wee bit of a snit.

I don't know why I don't have claws more on that parse. I hit that a lot more usually. I will take your suggestion and switch to restless ice comet. As I said though, 5 wizards so vortex is usually on the mob, or not off of it for long, that is really a spell similar to arcomancy in that it helps everyone else not necessarily the caster if the caster doesn't get the charges ie nuke again before all the charges are gone. But yes- cryomancy does show up more on a parse than arco (which doesn't at all.)
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Perhaps this thread has outlived its usefulness to the cause. Some other class asked on our behalf for more love. We got enough positive responses from others that a Dev(!!!) actually responded. It was a generic PR stunt, but it still was a response (go back and re-read it ... there's not much there). And it looks like with this next patch, there aren't any outstanding impediments to looking at wizard and/or direct damage in general in the future.

Now good wizards are bickering with various others throwing salt and other assorted condiments.

Every single wizard I know in game has been frustrated over the past 2+ years. Some have shown up here to let out that frustration. Has there perhaps been some hyperbole? Yes. Should others knowing the true numbers wizards produce have just let it go? Yes they should. Honestly, these people should be correcting the group necro dude who keeps saying over and over that raid gear focuses are why raid necros are killing the parse. (if I did memes, I'd put one of Allen Iverson here talking about gear instead of practice)

For the record Kizant, your overall cast count for Tantor is a little puzzling. A 8m event with 26 claws? When you can squeeze a maximum of 66 in 8m normally ... seems low. The force count is also about 30ish off from max. That said, there's nothing there that suggests poor play, just choices. And having zero idea when that parse was and knowing how laggy Xegony (or any server) can be at times. I'm also pretty sure there is not a guild that organizes targets better for aes than RoI (MS blows at that. Love our tanks, but at this point I think they honestly try to put mobs in the worst possible locations for maximum aes ... and possibly I just suck at aes to be fair).

And for the record Cimbaeth (since you posted your spell count as I typed this), Sancus is saying some what I'd say to you ... your claw count is much too low for what I think optimal usage is and I'd move vortex higher up in priority ... and I'd ditch blast (assuming your druids are season's wrath-ing most mobs ... that bonus is greater than anything you are picking up in gear). Beam numbers are lower than what mine would be, but I don't know your raid setup/strat ... would be something I'd look at though. Also on vortex, your procs can trigger the synergy proc so you can pretty much stick to an all fire + vortex lineup and still get all your synergies used. I'm not sure I'd share your concern about the vortex mob proc ... even if you only get 1/2 out of each cast, vortex still pretty good.

All that said, the most useful thing Kizant and Sancus could have done was post RoI's dps class order for a standard cycle. Not the actual dps (although listing the percentage of each of the top performer would be helpful), but just the order of classes through 25th place. I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that no one dpses better than RoI ... so what does the top EQ parse say about classes?

Full disclosure - I was 25th on Z, 29th on T. 22nd on K, 24th on Defenders this past short cycle for us ... with only a shaman for adps in group (no bard, chanter, druid ... only 2 rangers total in raid as well). And I was 19th on Arbiter with a druid and chanter (although it wasn't a great run by me ... a little frustration set in from the previous events).

We're the only class where a top performer has posted real parses for years ... I think the worries about the developers not being able to trust us is way overblown. There's even a webpage app if they don't believe us.
  5. Behelit Augur

necros, mages, zerker/rogue toss up, random classes here that get adps (tanks, priests), wiz, monks/rangers/beasts/enchanters, bards, tanks without adps, clerics

have fun figuring how serious I am
  6. Cimbaeth Elder

^ That was exactly my point. Zerker dps is so overblown (sometimes literally 4x whatever I parse) that it's more useful for guilds to adps stack the zerkers, for example. Although- I'd like to point out just for fun that I beat Beimeith's Zerker on that parse I posted .. lol.
  7. Cimbaeth Elder

Oh Behelit! HI
  8. Behelit Augur

Zerkers are maybe 3rd or 4th if they're played really well. I dont get the anti-zerker crusade? And im not even on my zerker anymore lol so I got no horse in this race, just amused by it
  9. Tolzol Augur

Your comparing yourself with little to no adps to a zerker with full adps for one. Secondly you guys sit on your burns while the zerkers do not cus i find that silly. I can promise you i don’t even come close to doubling kizants dps on a typical Sunday. As I’ve said before, wizards do need a bump but they are not trash like some of you claim.
    Szilent and Sancus like this.
  10. Cimbaeth Elder

That sounds like a challenge my friend. Kizant, Cragzop- let's get trashy- who's got the booze?

Full disclosure: I am a Marine, I can get trashy.
  11. Szilent Augur

EoK Disco lasted too long is all, so "berserker OP" lingers in the public consciousness. Shm/enc turn was only about half a year, so they don't have that clinging to them for the next decade.
    Behelit likes this.
  12. kizant Augur

I think I've posted more than enough on the necro issues. I don't want to cause too much drama.

I prioritize AEs over claw and had an emote to run from. Plus we do have a good amount of lag so force nukes do suffer a bit because of it and that also impacts spell gem lockouts. Add that to ITC and somewhere around 45 would be more realistic if it were a single target encounter. I can only post my stuff so I can't really say much about the rest of what you're asking for.
  13. Cimbaeth Elder

I did notice awhile back in looking at overall parses for wizards in my guild that those wizards that chose to use the force nukes a lot also had considerably less dps not more. I am assuming it had something to do with spell gem refresh vs lag so I started using them less.
    kizant likes this.
  14. Behelit Augur

i agree boost shamans
    Jondalar likes this.
  15. kizant Augur

So, what I was mostly referring to is the synergy proc itself. It does quite a lot of damage and combing that with the base damage of vortex nuke you sorta get an ethereal like nuke with a much shorter cast time. Even without the vortex effect it would be worth using.

For arcomancy, they did change how that works. It's just a song window buff now that adds a fixed amount of damage to your next 5 nukes. It's not very good compared to a proc that can crit and obviously doesn't help anyone else.

Also, here's a damage breakdown for another Tantor event. I found one that was a bit longer that might be better to look at. I highlighted the synergy proc damage like I mentioned above but you can also see where most my damage comes from. Granted, if you're not AEing it's hard to really compare much. I could post another even if anyone wants. Just FYI I did only manage #10 on this parse so it wasn't like I was beating everyone with these numbers.

[IMG]
  16. KrakenReality Augur

After seeing all this feedback, I came away with a different take and that was SKs need another round of damage bumps.
    Ozon likes this.
  17. Behelit Augur

Dzarn is that you?!
    -----Cinexa----- and Szilent like this.
  18. Szilent Augur

Combined (18) is exactly the number to be including Tantorlings that weren't part of your nine minute strategy. The million dps is a leeeetle bit faked. I recognize this immediately from certain someones in my guild "slipping" by including Tantorlings in the parse. It then looks like Mag1-mag2-mag3-then the rest of us, but really they're ~7th or whatever
  19. Sancus Augur

FWIW, excluding the tantorlings, Kizant was 8th at 904k DPS (+up to 7k my parse missed), which is a little bit lower DPS wise and a bit higher ranking wise.

That said, it was that long because we leashed Tantor; we would've successfully killed the tantorlings if we didn't reposition towards the end. I thought that was a pretty noble goal tbh. Also I only dropped to third, sir.
    Szilent likes this.
  20. Piemastaj Augur

Damage is damage....
    kizant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.