How does your guild manage limited debuf slots?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, May 12, 2021.

1. Windance Augur

We have a ton of spells not landing due to limited debuf slots.

I am curious how your guild handles allocating those debuf slots with an eye to minimizing the arguments between classes 'hogging' up the debuf slots.

Has anyone heard anything from the EQ devs about them addressing the problem of having a single necro take up 13 of 97 buff slots?
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

Is the whole point to see who does the most damage to a mob or just to defeat the mob?
    Jordis likes this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Would be nice if the raidleader had a way to blockdebuffs like individuals can block buffs.
  4. strongbus Augur

am in OP guild it to max out overall raid dps.

atm we got 3-4 necros, 2-3 bards and couple sham and druids throwing dots on the mob plus all the normal debuffs and allances all the classes throw on the mobs.
  5. kookoo Augur

about same for us but sometime even with 2 necros i can't land some dots from my shaman , with 3 or 4 necro's i usually cast few dots and let necro's do their 1st role ( dps ), and nope our guild don't check what debuffs mobs ( boss ) have on them, so i guess some players cast weak debuffs or dots , that could be replaced with heavier ones.

my gina have a timer on dots and when the bigger one proc, so when i have dots to not land i can see it right away **
  6. Warpeace Augur

This is basically the problem with the DoT revamp. Some classes gained DPS from it and think they have to use it. When in raid they don't see the bigger picture blocking other classes because of the all mighty parse. Some times your personal parse really means nothing unless your completely sandbagging.
    Coagagin and Tygart like this.
  7. FranktheBank Augur

Just ban spells like Bladed Song and Cacophony and Cascade of Decay, etc from being cast on main targets.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Ythera Augur

My guild made a list of weak debuffs/dots that are off limits to be cast on the boss and if they show up, then people get called out and we ring the shame bell.
    Bardy McFly, Coagagin, adetia and 2 others like this.
  9. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Unfortunately, a lot of the revamped DoTs are worth casting, and will do more overall DPS than NecroDoT13. The biggest issue is a class designed around needing 10+ debuff slots to do its job on a raid. When you have 3-4 Necros each needing 10+ slots, that's almost half of the total available slots taken up by 6-7% of the raid force.

As for how to mitigate this? I spent some time compiling our raid logs to see what was being cast and how much damage it was doing per slot (or what it's benefit was for non-DoTs). Most of the generic "Reduce AC/ATK" debuffs were banned. Rogue, Berserker, Monk low damage DoTs were gone. SK DoTs (other than HT) were gone. Knight Protests on burn mobs (unless they were tanking) were gone. Limited the number of Bard DoTs being used. Shamans stopped using Disease DoTs. Rangers were restricted to Ice Burrower Swarm. Druid Defense of the Reptile was gone.

Basically, if it wasn't in the top half of the damage per slot chart, it was no longer being used. If it had an overlapping or minimal debuff, it was no longer being used (or timed better to not overlap).

It sucks, but until they either condense debuff slots or add more slots, it's the game we're stuck with.
    Bardy McFly, Jordis, Tygart and 5 others like this.
  10. Warpeace Augur

Were probably not getting more debuff slots unless they make a change to 64 bit.
  11. Alchem The Judge Journeyman

At this point in the game it's relying more on personal responsibility. You can really show your class knowledge and ability to be accountable by looking over your own stuff and asking what you could thin out, what isn't entirely useful. I've had to adapt since coming back in the simple way that it's no longer just checking to see if power source is equipped, food is in the right slot, tribute is set and on. I'm now checking my spam bar to make sure I'm not using Intimidate, Snare, my DoT, or some other useless debuff slot robbing thing that I like to click because I can. Seems like a trivial thing but when you're programmed to do certain things for so long it gets harder to move on to a different way of play. I think that relates to nerfs/revamps or w/e you want to call it. It's just requesting you adapt. I don't see the issue in that. I like seeing different classes in the top 10 going from event to event. Maybe I am lucky that I get to play with the people I do but I no longer concern myself with what class is OP and what not. I just get to look at the logs and be proud that Soandso pulled a good burn and made little to no mistakes.
    Jordis likes this.
  12. Knifen Augur

Gotta make sure and get those rogue dots in before the filthy necros take up all the debuff slots ><
    Jeraldo Rivera likes this.
  13. Evye Augur

My solution is going back to the way dots were back in 2000.
    One of each dot. THATS IT.
    Back then if one person casted scourge on a mob thats the only scourge allowed on the mob.
  14. bomodo New Member

in 2000 we didn't had dps check on boss
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  15. Fenthen aka Rath

We just ban bards because they take up like 20 debuff slots each.
    /jokes
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

In short, this will be addressed some time after the new client goes live.

How do we deal with it? We use the honor system. Basically nicely ask people to only use what gives the raid the most bang for the slot. Most of the time, for most targets, it works pretty good with minimal effort. Every once in a while when people push hard or they want to be in the top 5 slots we'll get some DoT/Debuff bounces.

It's a crappy situation when casters have to hamstring themselves to not get called out by the RL.
    Jordis and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If you have 4 necros on a raid, the solution is for one of them to main change, because nothing you do will let them dot appropriately.
  18. Szilent Augur

two of them, tbh
    Jordis, Smokeydistic and Fenthen like this.
  19. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

I’m trying to do math here... 3-4 necros used to run 18-20 dots.
    Now they do ample dps with less. Are we still casting 20plus? A necros primary role is to dps if other classes have dots but other primary roles maybe they should stick to their primary role. So many people here crying with an agenda over something that hasn’t changed in 12 plus years. This isn’t new unless they reduced buff slots amd I haven’t read that yet.

If raiding dps is any where as competitive as it was 5 years ago when I last raided and guilds monitor dps than this never ending gripe against necros is just a witch hunt. Asking a dps class to not dps... ridiculous.
  20. strongbus Augur

after this up coming change most necro going be running round 11-12 dots plus aa dot plus wounds has 2 parts so can have both going plus debuff and allances. so that 14ish dots per necro so 4 necros is 56 dots slots. add in debuff and allance and it closer to 60ish slot just those 4 necros. that only leaves 37 slots for rest of raid. and that only if the necros are not running more then that for dots.