So I'm thinking of playing two toons with minimal effort

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lamberduim, May 8, 2021.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Bard pulling in dungeons is pretty rubbish until PoP (Fade) and even then they need room.
    Druids & Rangers okay outdoors with Harmony/Root/Snare.

But most of the best XP spots will be indoor dungeons & of those ones with little room to run.

Better off having a Necro, Monk or Shadowknight pull - Enchanter if they are really good can be great pullers too.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  2. Bardy McFly Augur

Bards are good pullers even back to Classic with the proper group makeup. If you have a chanter to mez at the group then the bard doesn't need to worry about harmony or fade while pulling and bard speed to get mobs back to the group takes presidence. Barring good CC at the group, I agree with you Skuz.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Xhieron Elder

Nowadays I think Bard pulling is largely a result of anticipating Fading Memories. Everybody knows that once POP hits, Bards have the best pulling ability in the game, full stop. Ergo, if you made a Bard, you're comfortable pulling. Thus, you have to pull, whether you're presently equipped or it's a good idea or not, because nobody makes a Bard who doesn't expect to pull.

Monks don't really get a pass, but Necros and SKs gain a little bit of sympathy because they have the same lack of later tools that Bards have (no pet discipline).

Just make all the monks pull for the next six months.
    Bardy McFly and Skuz like this.
  4. Lamberduim Elder

So after reading all this, and getting some private messages from a few players. I think I'm either just gonna 1cpu my enchanter or 2cpu a chanter druid instead of bard.

Since apparently it's almost universally agreed bard needs to pull.
    I can make a few side macros on my druid to off heal and dow, and when he gets his pack line of spells it's that much easier
  5. Numiko Augur

I always use my ench. to pull in classic, they get calm, mez and root and when in a group and not charming I let the mob hit me once to get the animation in before the rest of the group piles in.

Thanks to general pet changes over the years Enchanter animations are no longer the speed bumps they were in classic, with decent buffs they can tank almost as well at unfocused mage pets.
  6. Nicorus Elder

What kind of trash group is worried about splitting pulls in classic? Bards pull because they are fast and in certain zones MR song is really nice to avoid getting rooted while pulling also tracking is very nice in classic because you are more likely to be fighting for spawns than anything else.

Sure back in 1999 having a FD class or someone with lull pull could help but that isn't what this server is and it never will be, by the time we get to PoP and the group mobs are actually somewhat hard bards will have fading memories.

Anyone who knows the zone and is active is a good puller for classic though, cause you mostly just YOLO into rooms agro as much as possible and run back.
    Lineater likes this.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

If your group doesn't have 1 to 2 enchanters charming then you need a new one. When you get that group with said enchanters charming, then it really doesn't matter what you train pull to your group and what class brings it.
  8. Lejaun Augur

So much agree with this. The quality of the person doing the pulling, not the class they play, is what matters the most.

Additionally, If they use certain forbidden programs to know what is up or about to be, and have pulling skills, they will run circles around everyone else.
  9. Lejaun Augur

(And for the record, I don't and never will use said mentioned program.)
  10. Ultrazen Augur

Because up until the hole opens, and their song levels destroy them, bards are easily the best pullers in the game, especially in lower guk. lull, mez, charm, run speed, a decent bard can bring a constant string of one pulls that are perfectly timed to respawn to a group for hours. There is no drama with a bard pull if you are any good.
    TheInquisitor and HoodenShuklak like this.
  11. Ultrazen Augur

1. If you don't know the spawns, you are not 'the quality of the person'.

2. Hey group, here's 5 mobs, weeeeee, next pull is 2, next is 7. Once again, that's not a quality person, and it tiring in a group setting.

People sit down and med, they kill a mob, they sit back down, they do that as fast as their mana will allow them and the spawn is there, that's a good puller.
  12. Kahna Augur

Who bother's lulling in a group? Heck, with a charm pet you hardly even need to mez, not in classic, just bring the whole room. Their charm is meh, and crowd control is meh, sow is plenty fast, one little stun and poof bard runspeed. Anyone who knows what they are doing can bring in a steady stream of pulls perfectly timed to respawn for hours on any class. I have seen a rogue do it. I would still rather have the bard in camp.
  13. TLP Addict Augur

If you have a half decent chanter in the group, why did you even invite the bard? Most of what they do if not pulling is completely redundant and the group would be much better served with another DPS class
  14. hmmmmm New Member

Minimum effort would be two wizards.
    Nuke / afk, nuke afk, nuke afk...
    2 nukes / 2 afk even better.

Could go another dps class if wizards are too one dimensional: maybe a mage or rogue?

Anything that heals, pulls, or tanks has the downside of too much effort, but has the upside of being a good start to a group. Cleric / chanter combo would on the crazy end of that scale.
  15. c313 Augur

If you really want to play a character with minimal effort while focusing on your Enchanter main I'd roll a Mage.

Make an assist key on your mage to assist your enchanter on the mob, and that's essentially all the Mage needs to do. Drop a nuke once or twice as well.
  16. Laronk Augur

This exactly, most of the time it doesn't matter who pulls. Plus if you don't want to pull and you're playing a shaman and a monk just own it and say you don't pull or make your own groups. Most people are too lazy to make their own groups then just invite someone as the puller.
  17. Kahna Augur

Because I liked them as a person. I don't pug, so everyone in my groups is someone I like as a person.
  18. TLP Addict Augur

Bards are fine till they get hit with this thing called Ghoul root and then they are up creek without a paddle, no way you're mezzing and charming your way out of a bunch of yellow/red con frogs beating your . FD class has a shot at surviving but even then casters, low skill etc can get those killed.

Don't @ me about MR gear either, we're talking brand new server, aint nobody got a set of MR gear to throw on.
  19. Thez69 Elder

i say go for your original plan, play your chanter and put your melody bot in group

pugs all simp for chanters, they dont care if you take up a second spot since your doing most the dps

someone mentioned reputation, I would

1 not consider that a bad rep assuming your actively charming and crushing with the chanter and

2 on a fresh classic tlp its very possible to pug your way to 50 and never see that same ppl along the way or afterwards - even if they dont like your style its ok, they just dont exist anymore after the group is over
  20. Bardy McFly Augur

If killing frogs is your thing, sure. I avoid Guk like the plague. Can't stand the zones. I haven't leveled there in 20 years and refuse to go there except masks for my bards, even then usually only after the content has greyed out.