Can we get access to old expansions collector editions via the Station store?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Issk, May 3, 2021.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Fair assessment. The cross-server market for Heritage Crate illusions is around 3-25 Krono depending on the illusion. I've been told that the Ice Giant illusion can sell for up to 25 Krono. People are willing to pay high prices (inelastic demand). Daybreak really has no incentive to change the state of the market. As long as they make good money (whether people want to accept my Veblen good explanation or not), they shouldn't change the status quo (multi-prong marketing scheme: exclusive or limited time items from Collector/Premium Editions, crates, shop items).
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Stymie Pendragon

Giant illusion can sell for up to 25 Krono, so that's about $450 veblen, or did I get the exchange rate wrong? :)
  3. KrakenReality Augur

Dang your Kronos are pricey.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

So the players who spend that many kronos on a single item, did they buy those krono with real cash? Or is it just because they are experts at manipulating the bazaar, and have nothing else to spend krono on?
    I really doubt those heavy spenders personally farmed for years or spend that much real cash, because they were motivated by veblen goods.

When you have so many kronos, that 25 kronos is worth spending on a single item, then krono becomes like old raid-currency, where the only things left to buy are raid-ornaments. That doesn't mean old raid-ornaments are in high demand, or veblen goods. It just means you have limited options...

At some point you have very few choices with accumulated kronos of that magnitude: you can spend them on weird illusions/mounts stuff with no real use, you can give them away, or you can break the EULA...

I simply doubt the expensive stuff is in high-demand...and thus not veblen good.
    Niskin likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is a strained - even desperate and misleading - interpretation.

1. Krono are purchased (and created) by real life cash. They are not farmed off of NPCs, missions, or raids. Someone paid RL cash at the point of purchase.

2. Krono are transferable, fungible, and convertible (through third party means). Krono retain their cash value (albeit at a possible discount). Though likely against the rules, Krono can be sold for cash on third-party sites or sold for cash to trusted buyers/friends/guildmates (using PayPal, Venmo, Cash App).

3. Krono can be used as a barometer for the cash value of in-game items. Because, in essence, for people to compete or "be in the market", most people will need to purchase the amount of Krono to meet the going rates/asking price.

In this case, the Ice Giant illusion peak price of 25 Krono shows that there is at least a $$$ level of demand. Much like Ebay, the price is reflective of the demand and competition. Ice Giant illusion is the kind of item you find in Collector/Premium Editions (e.g. Combine Tactician, Restless Coldain, Othmir Gentlemen illusions) which are major motivators to pay $249 or $139 (note how they moved illusions to the Family-and-Friend and Premium Tiers only).
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That's where Im doubtful tbh. :confused:

I don't think people purchasing kronos with cash, are spending their kronos on illusions, I do think people spending their krono on illusions, have kronos they don't know how to spend(this is just a hunch though, I could be wrong).
    If that is the case, how can you say that an illusion's value can be measured in cash?

I also doubt that people who sell krono on thirdparty sites, are emotionally invested enough in EQ to care about illusions(they are probably expecting perma-bans without warnings anyway).

Do we even know that kronos traded on thirdparty-sites are even spend in EQ1 or in some other DBG game? The unofficial krono-prices are not necessarily related to EQ1.

The only actual value a krono has, is 1 month worth of subscription.
    There is a maximum amount of krono that can be sustained in this game, as they can only be consumed in a flat-rate. Once players gets in the situation where they will never need any more krono ever, they will spend them on anyting...regardless of their initial value. Thus detaching cash-value from the value of the items they buy. You actually CAN have too many kronos in this game...there is also a plat-limit...
    That is why krono-prices can't be measured in cash-values.

Personally, I have a theory that the krono-market will crash, once the total amount of krono in circulation exceeds the combined need for krono-consumption. Not everyone wants to box entire raids. :p People spending 25 kronos on illusions is the first sign...:eek:
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I know players who are constantly buying Krono to pay for their boxes. You may be surprised how fast people burn through Krono.

The overwhelming majority of players will disagree with you. Whether players are redeeming Krono or flipping it (for RL cash or in-game items such as tradable expacs), the RL cash trade off (opportunity cost) is a constant variable.

A player spending 25 Krono for Ice Giant illusion will forego 2 years of subscription time and give the seller the same. This is a hefty amount. Daybreak knows this (Veblen good value) and that's why the expansion illusions are now only available at the $249 and $139 tiers.