Dear Robin Flodin; Community Feedback

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Atomos, May 2, 2021.

1. Szilent Augur

Describe these trade offs for me. What parallel are you trying to lean on? What is there in any way like the dot limitation?

Three rogues fit on a raid.
    Three beastlords.
    Three warriors existing doesn't make the fourth warrior worse.
    Heck, for most classes, including ranger, three participating makes the fourth *better* than they would be otherwise.

But to include, in a roster of 54 deliberately sized to accommodate 3 of everything plus some slush space, three of each dotting class means they all have to play below their potential. What "other trade off raiders have to make" is like that?
  2. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

The dot revamp has been bad for buff slots on mobs. More classes now have dots that are worth casting. Add to that the alliances and other AAs/spells that have been introduced in the last couple of years more slots are needed.
  3. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

We can just take this bit right here. What is higher overall DPS for the raid: those dots from other classes, another necro, or a combination of trade offs from all classes to accommodate another necro or two? That decision belongs to raid leader.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Szilent Augur

no, see that's THIS issue. Where is

?
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If you did this as a reply I might have seen it sooner :),

I don't believe I ever said folks can't have fun.

I don't believe I tried to use wikipedia to justify anything. I used it to educate you on what the word strategy means because some in this thread didn't seem to understand the word.

Funny thing in over 22 years of EQ I have led and run raids. Quite a few in the past.

And yeah you just finished saying I have no right to an opinion. Luckily that is just YOUR OPINION.

And yeah I actually do tend to think about my opinions before I post them. Do you?

Also I am not advocating anything. I am simply observing that if you have problems with limited number of dots on mobs you should be working to ensure your best dots in your raid get first crack. Now I won't get upset if you don't do that. You decide how you want to have fun. But if you or anyone posts your views on this don't be surprised if others do also.
    Stymie likes this.
  6. Szilent Augur

Take a deep breath, Corwyhn. You literally quoted my assertion of your right to an opinion.
  7. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Caveman version:

LIMIT = OK
    INABILITY TO ADJUST LIMIT = NOT OK

I bet you didn't think cavemen knew the word inability, but they did.
  8. Atomos Augur

As someone who plays strategy games including Chess and Starcraft, when you call "not letting certain classes play" a "strategy" due to an outdated client, it seems like an insult to the word strategy and gaming in general, especially an MMORPG.

Debuff limits are an old nuisance that was the result of either technical limitations or oversight, and it's been fixed in every other game, no reason not to fix it in Everquest.

I get that you need to feel like picking and choosing who gets to play during raids adds some sort of complexity to raiding, but you could still do that even if there was no debuff limit. World of Warcraft is a perfect example - the debuff limit was fixed long ago, but every time a new raid tier releases, you see world first and try-hard guilds stacking "the best" classes/specs to beat content - fixing the debuff limit would not prevent you from continuing to play that way.

Most importantly, you should always consider what affects the most amount of players, and how. What do you think would make more people quit the game - being unable to play their class in raids, or being unable to strategize raid debuffs (which you could still do anyway)?
    Tatanka likes this.